#1 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,337 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

Rogers Media inc. have their eyes on Hockey Night in Canada rights:

Rogers Media Inc. has its eye on the venerable Hockey Night in Canada franchise, which has been a Saturday night staple for the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. since 1952.

Having recently expanded its network nationally through a series of deals and partnerships, Rogers Media president Keith Pelley said the broadcaster is taking a serious look at bidding on rights to Saturday night hockey when they come up for renewal in two years.

“Sports is a major focus,” Mr. Pelley said. “Is Hockey Night part of our plan? It’s a little premature to talk about details, but we certainly have to take a look.”

Earlier this month, Rogers (RCI.B-T35.95-0.65-1.78%) bought Métro14 Montréal CJNT in Montreal and partnered with the Jim Pattison Broadcast Group to deliver CityTV content to communities in British Columbia and Alberta.

Mr. Pelley said the broadcaster can now offer advertisers national packages with the promise of about 9 million potential viewers, and can pursue programming that is intended to reach audiences across the country . CityTV doesn’t have an Atlantic presence, but Mr. Pelley said there is a plan that is “not quite ready to be announced yet” that will address the gap.

Rogers unveiled its lineup of shows for the new season on Tuesday in Toronto, and one slot it would like to improve in coming years is Saturday night. Hockey would certainly fill that space, especially considering that Rogers is about to become part owners, with BCE Inc., of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment.

“Saturday is still a very difficult night for us,” Mr. Pelley said. “With our distribution now, maybe we could actually bid for Hockey Night in Canada... this is a conversation we couldn’t have last year because we didn’t have national distribution.”

The rights to Hockey Night in Canada were last renewed in 2005, and come up for renewal again in 2015. With budget cuts biting deep, there has been speculation CBC could lose the rights, but at a recent industry event executive vice-president of English services Kirstine Stewart said the public broadcaster would aggressively pursue a renewal.

The message was underscored at the CBC’s annual new programs showcase two weeks ago, as NHL commissioner Gary
Bettman trumpeted the benefits of a CBC-NHL partnership.

“There's probably no more iconic brands in Canada than the CBC, Hockey Night in Canada and the NHL,” he said. “That accounts for 60 years of a great relationship, which is unprecedented because we work so well together.”

Ms. Stewart has said her network targets a broader audience than the sports broadcasters, which makes it an important player in any negotiations. But that was assuming that Rogers would want to put games on its Sportsnet channel, which it does not. CTV, which owns TSN, could also be a contender if the bidding heats up.

“What we provide is different from what TSN and Sportsnet does,” she said at the event. “We provide a generalized audience, and these guys are at the top of the sports market.”

CTV Inc., which owns TSN, could also be a contender. Scott Henderson, vice-president of communications for CTV’s parent company Bell Media Inc., said the broadcaster would “most likely take a look at it when the time comes, as we would look at any sports contract that becomes available and that could strengthen our business.”

http://www.theglobea...article2446306/
Posted Image

#2 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,098 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

Damn, Bell already has TSN, Rogers has Sportsnet, so basically they'll own all the hockey thats broadcasted in Canada.
Not to mention the stakes in teams and Arena naming rights.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#3 SynysterGates

SynysterGates

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

Leafs owners also owning Hockey Night? Oh boy, more Leafs games for all!

#4 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

I actually wouldn't mind this.

#5 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

I'm pretty sure CBC won't be very willing to give up the rights to HNIC. Yes, they are facing budget cuts, but HNIC is one of their biggest money makers, so it would make no sense to not renew the contract.

#6 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

Great if there is one TV crew worst than CBC its Sportsnet....

Just be like the NFL and allow all 3 networks to broadcasts games nationally no matter what day it is.

#7 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,519 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

I think we might see Rogers Media and CBC bid together for the NHL rights like they are for the 2014 Winter Olympics to counter what will for sure be a very strong bid from Bell Media.

Posted Image

#8 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,568 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

Either TSN or CBC...

Please not Sportsnet. More bush-league than CBC.

#9 Mighty Walrus

Mighty Walrus

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

I'm not sure why but tsn games sound and look so much better for me. It feels like sportsnet use garbage mics or something. Tsn games sound and look exciting compared to sportsnet.

#10 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,519 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

I'm not sure why but tsn games sound and look so much better for me. It feels like sportsnet use garbage mics or something. Tsn games sound and look exciting compared to sportsnet.

It's a regional game. It's expected. They don't generate as high of an ad revenue as a nationally televised game. You watch any of their Toronto Blue Jays broadcasts, they are of much greater quality.

Edited by Opmac, 29 May 2012 - 07:29 PM.

Posted Image

#11 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,943 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

POPULAR

TSN needs to land this one

They are already far more enjoyable to watch, their commentators are far superior to those at CBC, and their panelists and analysts are more credible.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#12 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,943 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

Wow how about this:

RT @SNJamieThomas: Big moment for #Sportsnet. We will broadcast all of HBOs 24/7 series that leads up to 2013 Winter Classic.

Good start for them in increasing viewership
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#13 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,110 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

I don't know what I would do if I didn't have PJ Stock, Don Cherry, Mike Milbury, Ron McLean, and Mark Lee to look forward to... :bigblush:

#14 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:38 PM

common Bell, I dont care the price, just make sure Sportsnet doesnt get the rights
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#15 theo5789

theo5789

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:19 AM

Is there any other reason to watch CBC other than for HNIC?
VanWhitecapsFC YouTube Page

Also mycanucksdotca on YouTube

#16 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:40 AM

Is there any other reason to watch CBC other than for HNIC?

Rick Mercer, CBC Radio 3.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#17 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

Hell yea. I am sick and tired of CBC. Bring Rogers, who I assume owns Rogers sportsnet? To broad cast our games. We need some Canucks supporters to do the show.
November 20th 2013, Canucks just lost their 5th straight game. Last time this happened the Canucks, they missed the playoffs.

#18 Smyl ( :

Smyl ( :

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:01 AM

bye ron :lol:

#19 Thrill-House

Thrill-House

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:09 AM

The sound is very crisp on TSN games. It feels like you're at ice level.

My only complaint about TSN would be their obsession with the PP cam. The constant side to side movement is distracting.
Posted Image

#20 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,568 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:53 AM

If Rogers gets HNIC we can expect the Leafs every weekend...

So no change whatsoever...

#21 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

I don't mind HCNIC on Saturday nights.
Great tradition,it would be weird watching it on a other channel.

But come playoff time I want tsn to brodcast most of the games
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#22 Jet_91

Jet_91

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

Can't wait. The sooner that band of clowns over at CBC are off the air the better.

I won't miss them one bit if this happens.

#23 Mad Cow Disease

Mad Cow Disease

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

I'm also on the get-CBC-outta-here bandwagon in this case. If it goes to TSN, I'll be ecstatic. Even Sportsnet would be better, though TSN is preferable because their panel is top notch and their broadcasting quality (commentary aside) is top-notch.

#24 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

Hypothetically if TSN gets it, I wonder if they'll bring back the old theme song as well.

#25 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

man i dont care who takes it , just aslong as its a major network

cbc is terrible

fire all the staff

freeze don cherry in carbonite so they can use his image for years to come
Posted Image

#26 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

I'm also on the get-CBC-outta-here bandwagon in this case. If it goes to TSN, I'll be ecstatic. Even Sportsnet would be better, though TSN is preferable because their panel is top notch and their broadcasting quality (commentary aside) is top-notch.

pretty much either way its a huge upgrade
Posted Image

#27 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

If Rogers gets HNIC we can expect the Leafs every weekend...

So no change whatsoever...

Well would get a lot of Leafs either way. Rogers is a big sponsor of the Canucks, and could lead to us getting more games.

But in saying that SN does a terrible job of covering the games. Yes the personalities are great(Don Taylor, Shorty, Garret, ect) but they have the worst camera work, and producer.

#28 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

I think we might see Rogers Media and CBC bid together for the NHL rights like they are for the 2014 Winter Olympics to counter what will for sure be a very strong bid from Bell Media.

i thought it was Bell and CBC who bid together
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#29 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,519 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

i thought it was Bell and CBC who bid together

You are correct...

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...c-olympics.html

Posted Image

#30 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

Not in HD. Get a Good HD TV and minimum 5.1 surround sound system with Dolby Pro Logic II and Sportnet's AV quality is just as good as TSN. I agree that RSN SD looks like s**t compare to TSN SD
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

View Postdajusta, on 27 March 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.