The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rogers Eyes Hockey Night In Canada Rights

I'm also on the get-CBC-outta-here bandwagon in this case. If it goes to TSN, I'll be ecstatic. Even Sportsnet would be better, though TSN is preferable because their panel is top notch and their broadcasting quality (commentary aside) is top-notch.

I personally can't see Bell letting HNIC slip to Rogers if the rights truly did go up for grabs. TSN already has the hockey theme that CBC dumped it, so might as well get the show too! Everything is better on TSN.

I wouldn't be averse to this happening, however I think It would be a travesty for all Canadians if the institution that is the CBC dies. If they lose HNIC they will die. The most recent federal budget cut the CBC's budget more substantially that ever before.

I think the CBC is as important to our Canadian identity as hockey is. They have come to go hand-in-hand. Sure BCE or Rogers could pick up their slack, but there would be something missing.

CBC provides free streaming of games to all Canadians, and even if their broadcasting involves Don Cherry and is Toronto-centric, they provide us with a good, consistent and credible service.

Archived