The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo's Trade Value Is Much Higher Than You May Think

*Just a reality check on Lu's potential huge trade value compared to past trades as of late*

This year Gaustad got traded for a 1st and is nothing close to Luongo's value. Last year Varlamov got traded for a VERY low Avs 1st round pick and he too is not close to Lu's value. Last year too Dustin Penner got traded for a 1st. Same as Kaberle, who ontop TO got a 1st, a 2nd, a top prospect for literally a bum of a player.

....The message I'm trying to get across is these players listed above were valued high enough to get a 1st rounder alone and those players are easily not even close to Luongo's ball park value wise. We Vancouver fans seem to know it all and know how much Luongo is worth, but in other cities like TO, their fans are willing to offer way more cause they know Luongo is an elite. To us it seems like TO fans are out of their minds, when they are not, and to them it seems like we're retards valuing him so lowly which some of us are.

The Fan 590 in Toronto (Like our Team 1040 but more popular) was talking about possibly giving up their 1st, Gardiner and Schenn for Luongo alone and ontop of that were still questioning whether or not if they have the assets to get it done and get MG to do it. Yea you guys are gonna say 'MG would be crazy to not do it', but your missing out on the point - the point isn't MG should do it, no, its look at the potential value Luongo has and what a possible trade could bring to us. Most of the fans here are far to close minded and think Lu's value is rock bottom cause of no Stanley Cup, but many teams would be willing to pay a massive price for him. Here's the link to the interview on the Fan 950

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/05/29/toronto_maple_leafs_brian_burke_roberto_luongo_update/

....Damn this interview has stirred up a lot more and it'll take Luongo talk to another level now.

Carter and Richards have very similar contracts and both were moved for very high return- Carter twice in the same year despite a weak season and suffering an injury - and neither of those guys have the potential impact that a player like Luongo could make in Toronto or Florida.

So check this - Lou is Italian, right? Teams interested in Lou should know that any Italian worth their salt can cook a fine dish of spaghetti and meatballs. Also, he can probably easily navigate/ride a gondola while singing O Sole Mio.

Italy_Venice_gondola.jpg

Gardiner is smaller, and a left handed shot - not sure he is a good fit - Franson or Schenn (not sold on Schenn, but he is a big, right handed shot like Franson), Joe Colborne and a pick to start the talks...

"The Leafs’ senior vice president of hockey operations, David Nonis, told the Fan 590 on Friday that he would be surprised if James Reimer and Ben Scrivens were the team’s two goalies next season. The club, he said, was looking to acquire a veteran between the pipes."

I think something that hasn't been discussed is that Dave Nonis was the one who brought Roberto here and probably likes the prospect of getting him now in Toronto.

And since Burke and Nonis are so close and handle things between the two I could see there comments on Vokoun as something to down play the rumors when there are actually interested in him

I'm sorry I don't buy it. I think people value goalies too much. Without a decent defense, every goalie is crap (just look at the all-star game). So if Toronto thinks they can make the playoffs with Luongo and their crapty defense then clearly management has been smoking some hardcore kush. But hey, if MG can pull that trade off then the guy is Chuck Norris 2.0

More than anything I think it will be supply and demand:

Goalies available:

Vokoun

Thomas (maybe)

Lindback (probably)

Bernier (probably)

Luongo

Teams Absolutely Needing Starting Goalies:

Columbus

Tampa

Toronto

Edmonton (maybe)

Teams that could use an upgrade or a 1A;1B type insurance:

Chicago

Detroit

San Jose

If I were a team like Toronto desperate to make the playoffs, I don't know that there is a better choice on that list than Luongo. For a team that is not close and rebuilding like Columbus... they are much more likely to give Lindback or Bernier a whirl as the starter.

If I were a betting man I would say:

Luongo to Toronto

Lindback to Tampa

Bernier to Columbus

Gardiner is smaller, and a left handed shot - not sure he is a good fit - Franson or Schenn (not sold on Schenn, but he is a big, right handed shot like Franson), Joe Colborne and a pick to start the talks...

"The Leafs’ senior vice president of hockey operations, David Nonis, told the Fan 590 on Friday that he would be surprised if James Reimer and Ben Scrivens were the team’s two goalies next season. The club, he said, was looking to acquire a veteran between the pipes."

If we can get Schenn and Gardiner AND their 1st? where do i sign?

I'd then try to trade both the 1st picks/Ballard/Tanev to get Edmonton's first and draft Yakupov.

then with Ballard/Luongo/Raymond's contracts are out of the books, we can sign Suter.

Sedins - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Yakupov

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Volpatti - Malhotra - Kassian

Suter - Bieksa

Edler - Hamhuis

Schenn - Gardiner - Salo

nice!

if you scroll down near the bottom you can see comments and the very first one i saw was a leafs fan who said vokoun is just as good as lu and hell be cheaper. kinda makes me laugh vokoun is not better than lu, and he cant stay health to save his life. i think its a little ridiculous to expect gardiner and the first, if were lucky well get schenn and their first as best offer. woud love that 5th spot so many good players will still be available. Grigorenko ( cause his stock is falling big time ), Reinheart or Reilly ( Islanders willl take one of the two ), Forsberg, Dumba, Ceci, Trouba.

if you scroll down near the bottom you can see comments and the very first one i saw was a leafs fan who said vokoun is just as good as lu and hell be cheaper. kinda makes me laugh vokoun is not better than lu, and he cant stay health to save his life. i think its a little ridiculous to expect gardiner and the first, if were lucky well get schenn and their first as best offer. woud love that 5th spot so many good players will still be available. Grigorenko ( cause his stock is falling big time ), Reinheart or Reilly ( Islanders willl take one of the two ), Forsberg, Dumba, Ceci, Trouba.

another thing i forgot to mention, i really have trouble seeing us getting that 5th overall pick from TO. Its not secret that Burke will go hard Nash this offseason and the only way i see him getting Nash is if he offers Columbus the 5th overall pick in a package.

I hate when people think Schenn is a good return for Lu. Schenn is a bottom pair D man with an upside that gets less promising every passing year, Lu could single handedly bring Toronto into the playoffs.

It's just because every one who proposes we trade Lu are the same people who ride him after ever "off" game, so they would just be happy to take what they can get.

Archived