The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prepare For Another Lockout

Ticket prices before the first lockout were far cheaper than they are now. I remember in 2005 the owners argued they were on the side of the fans and that the players' demand for more money was going to cost the fans too much. If there is a lockout now, I doubt either side would have the public supporting them. Both the owners and players have increased their annual salary quite a bit.

I was really upset when they cancelled a whole season last time. This time, meh. Since both of my favorite teams got knocked out in the first round, I haven't been interested in the games and, when I try to watch, I fall asleep. Ideally, they wrap this up during the summer, preferably early so it doesn't affect free agency. If few GMs sign anyone July 1st, that's a bad sign. As much as I hate trap style hockey games, I would hate watching Bettman and Fehr sparring with each other through the press more.

The only form of revenue sharing I like is a luxury tax. Spend over the cap and match the overspend into revenue sharing.

The players are still unhappy with the cap... even though it has done pretty darn well for them in the end. I don't see them being particularly interested in reducing their percentage to fix the league's problems.

They will very reasonably say that the league needs to figure out some revenue sharing if they want parity, and it isn't all on the players to make it happen in spite of bad decisions by the league and individual teams.

An interesting note about the health of the league is that both teams in the SCF are reported to be for sale.... never mind the other half a dozen teams that are losing money/for sale.

It is currently not a sustainable model, the small market and poorly located teams keep having to spend more for the cap floor. Moving the worst revenue teams to higher revenue markets only makes it worse as that makes the overall league revenue increase and bump the cap floor up even more.

Revenue sharing is the only real way to fix things. There are some ridiculously rich teams that can afford this with no issue.

The biggest problem facing this league is the incredibly BORING style of hockey they allow teams to play. These playoffs have been hard for real fans to watch, I can only imagine what casual sports fans think.

It's time for drastic rule changes that insure we never have to watch crap like this again.

I also find it funny that the Devils, who brought boring hockey to the NHL all those years ago (The NHL has never really recovered from since thier win in 95) are about to win the cup.

No way we miss a full season again. The issues are not nearly as important as they were last time, and players know NHL owners would let them sit again... I could see missing a month at most though...

Big issue, is that this looks like pre-lockout hockey again. Fixing the game should be the issue, not Millionaire fighting with billionaires BS.

Archived