46 replies to this topic

#1 TheCanuckleheads.ca

TheCanuckleheads.ca

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

Great to see Friesen signed. Does anyone else see something of the Rypper in him? From what I've seen, he's not the same fighter as Rypien, but he's a willing combattant, has decent skills, a heart of gold, hits all the time, and has the intelligence and defensive savvy all coaches desire. Looks to me like a future penalty-killing, faceoff ace, a locker-room leader, and a fan favourite.

Anyway, I guess we shouldn't read too much into the great season he had as a 21-year old playing against boys this year, but I just wonder if he might not surprise a few people and be NHL ready pretty soon. Or maybe he spends 2-3 years on the farm. But I'm sure thrilled to have a guy like this in the system who has the potential to centre our third or fourth line fairly soon. Who was the last third line centre we drafted? Kesler, I guess, but he was always destined to be more than that. Who else? Artem Chubarov comes to mind. Dave Scatchard, maybe.

I also wanted to say: What is with CDC and its failure to have current stats on Canucks prospects? I mean, we just sign this kid, and the latest CDC stats on him are from 2010-2011?

Then you go to the "In the System" section and you get nothing on any of our prospects. How hard is it to have updated statistics on these guys? I mean Jordan Schroeder could start the year centring our second line and you go to his profile and there's nothing from his three years at college, his three years of World Junior dominance, or his first two years as a Canucks' farmhand! What gives?!

Alright, sorry for the rant. Looking forward to seeing Friesen wreak havoc in a Canucks' uni!

And since CDC just gives us a press release, here's Canucks' Army on the Friesen signing:

http://canucksarmy.c...ct-alex-friesen

Edited by TheCanuckleheads.ca, 30 May 2012 - 11:10 AM.

Posted Image
Bingo! Bango! Bongo!

#2 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

I know nothing about him. Hope he works out well.

I do know that Jeff Friesen was super fast on NHL 2K6. So fast was he, that he was always the first guy I would trade for in GM mode.
But I digress.

no duh.

You win the internet, EOM.

#3 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

Actually Kesler was originally projected to be more of a 3rd line, defensive centre when he was drafted.

Also, check out hockeydb.com if you want more up to date stats.

#4 TheCanuckleheads.ca

TheCanuckleheads.ca

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

Actually Kesler was originally projected to be more of a 3rd line, defensive centre when he was drafted.

Also, check out hockeydb.com if you want more up to date stats.

Oh, I know there are plenty of places for stats, but I just find it baffling that our beloved Canucks.com doesn't bother updating that kind of stuff.

As for Kesler, he may have been considered a third liner at some point, but he played 23 games the year he was drafted and a full season the following year. Which is why he was a bottom six guy early in his career.

As far as projections go, it was obvious he was going to be great defensively early on, but I'm pretty sure the hope in drafting him 23rd was that he'd emerge as a scorer as well, which he certainly has, despite the struggles last year...

Edited by TheCanuckleheads.ca, 30 May 2012 - 11:29 AM.

Posted Image
Bingo! Bango! Bongo!

#5 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

Great to see Friesen signed. Does anyone else see something of the Rypper in him? From what I've seen, he's not the same fighter as Rypien, but he's a willing combattant, has decent skills, a heart of gold, hits all the time, and has the intelligence and defensive savvy all coaches desire. Looks to me like a future penalty-killing, faceoff ace, a locker-room leader, and a fan favourite.

Anyway, I guess we shouldn't read too much into the great season he had as a 21-year old playing against boys this year, but I just wonder if he might not surprise a few people and be NHL ready pretty soon. Or maybe he spends 2-3 years on the farm. But I'm sure thrilled to have a guy like this in the system who has the potential to centre our third or fourth line fairly soon. Who was the last third line centre we drafted? Kesler, I guess, but he was always destined to be more than that. Who else? Artem Chubarov comes to mind. Dave Scatchard, maybe.

I also wanted to say: What is with CDC and its failure to have current stats on Canucks prospects? I mean, we just sign this kid, and the latest CDC stats on him are from 2010-2011?

Then you go to the "In the System" section and you get nothing on any of our prospects. How hard is it to have updated statistics on these guys? I mean Jordan Schroeder could start the year centring our second line and you go to his profile and there's nothing from his three years at college, his three years of World Junior dominance, or his first two years as a Canucks' farmhand! What gives?!

Alright, sorry for the rant. Looking forward to seeing Friesen wreak havoc in a Canucks' uni!

And since CDC just gives us a press release, here's Canucks' Army on the Friesen signing:

http://canucksarmy.c...ct-alex-friesen

I made a similar reference to RR here. I really think he could be a good find. He seems to have a hunger.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

What kind of player do we have here.

2011-12 Regular Season Niagara IceDogs 59 23 44 67 36 104

He seems to be a fairly prolific scorer and also seems to be a centre who likes to put himself about with PIM of 104 (almost double the next highest in the team) The boy seems fairly driven.......in the mould of RR37 perhaps.

At age 21 and 5'-10" @ 186lbs he has probably room for some physical growth. A +/- of 36 is good in anyones book and I just wonder if we may see him up with Jensen in Chicago next year.

Not a high draft at 6th round but we might have a real prospect here if he maintains his focus. Both he and Jensen are bound to eventually start to put pressure on Schroeder imo

Coming from/ living in Scotland and fairly late into the NHL and the various levels below, perhaps the more knowledgable amongst you could enlighten me on this player's early potential.

Kevin.jpg

#6 realnucksfan2010

realnucksfan2010

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

Freisen should turn out to be a good third/second line guy who can provide a big timely hit or goal, he is pretty good on the draw to, a well rounded player, he is just what MG and AV are looking for.

#7 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

Hits hard, plays hard, excellent defensively and is very intelligent.

Really looking forward to what this kid can do at the professional level against men.

Friesen could be an excellent 3rd line NHL center or a career AHL player - depending on how hard he works.

Hope he pans out! I have high hopes for him to someday make this team as the 3rd line shutdown center.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#8 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

Everybody else is bulking up on the 3rd and 4th lines and you guys are getting excited about a guy who is 5'10" and 186 pounds? LOL Typical. Can't wait to see how many call him a "great" player.

#9 RKesler_17

RKesler_17

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks President & General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that the Canucks have signed centre Alex Friesen.

Friesen, 21, recorded 71 points (26-45-71) and 106 penalty minutes in 62 games played with the Niagara IceDogs of the Ontario Hockey League during the 2011.12 season. Friesen, an alternate captain for the IceDogs, was named to the 2011.12 OHL Third All-Star Team.

The 5'10", 189 lbs. native of Niagara-On-the-Lake, Ontario, was originally drafted by Vancouver in the sixth round, 172nd overall in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=633256&intcmpid=van-news-friesen

Edited by RKesler_17, 30 May 2012 - 12:34 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

Hopefully maxed potential gets a Mike Richards; If not then Ryan Carter or a lefty Cal Clutterbuck maybe? Still a solid energy guy at the least, but I'll be willing to see how he pans out

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#11 BananaMash

BananaMash

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,293 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

Good! I like this kid.

Posted Image

#12 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

The title only showed (Signing) Canucks Sign Alex...

I thought we signed Alex Edler to a long term contract.

#13 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,356 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

Pessimest here,
He will not be one of our top 12 forwards at any point. A point per game average as an overage player in the CHL is nothing to write home about, in fact it is actually quite low. He has some grit sure, but he isn't the type of player who could make a career out of being a grind it out player, he would need to have a scoring role to thrive. He might get the odd injury call-up every now and then, but don't hold your breath waiting for him to be a consistent player in our line-up.
At the very best, I could see him becoming a top 6 forward in the AHL, but he will never be overly significant to the Canucks.
Posted Image

#14 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,909 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

The title only showed (Signing) Canucks Sign Alex...

I thought we signed Alex Edler to a long term contract.

I was looking forward to the same thing.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#15 SpennyCanuck

SpennyCanuck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

POPULAR

Im hoping he can turn into a Matt Cooke kind of player. Maybe we will see a couple more of these kinds of hits on Hall in the near future.

Per the link below:

#16 Kassian

Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

Everybody else is bulking up on the 3rd and 4th lines and you guys are getting excited about a guy who is 5'10" and 186 pounds? LOL Typical. Can't wait to see how many call him a "great" player.

He was voted the hardest-working player among OHL coaches for 2011-2012. He is great offensively but also plays a chippy game. He posted over a point per game in the past 2 seasons.

That sounds like a good player to me...he should turn out well, probably not an offensive star but a great 2nd/3rd line centre.

Posted Image

#17 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

Pessimest here,
He will not be one of our top 12 forwards at any point. A point per game average as an overage player in the CHL is nothing to write home about, in fact it is actually quite low. He has some grit sure, but he isn't the type of player who could make a career out of being a grind it out player, he would need to have a scoring role to thrive. He might get the odd injury call-up every now and then, but don't hold your breath waiting for him to be a consistent player in our line-up.
At the very best, I could see him becoming a top 6 forward in the AHL, but he will never be overly significant to the Canucks.

This.No one should ever look at points for an overager as indication of future development. Any 20 year old who doesn't put up ppg in the CHL will probably never even get offered a pro contract in their life.

#18 Gally

Gally

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Good signing, he put up good numbers hopefully he can make the Canucks eventually

Edited by Alex Galchenyuk, 30 May 2012 - 06:08 PM.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

my mom wouldn't let me touch the laptop because I have to stand after I eat....kinda stupid

#19 Phamda

Phamda

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

Yah im questioning whether he can become a bottom-6 shutdown centre or if he should be moved to the wing as a agitating winger. Maybe we should Project him to be a 3rd or 4th line winger vs a 3rd or 4th line shutdown center.

#20 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

Kind of disappointed when I found out he was only 5'10, but you never know, he can turn out to be something decent.
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#21 Grape

Grape

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

It doesn't make sense how he was drafted in the 6th round.
Posted Image Posted Image
Sig made by The Great Honey Badger™

Don't Click!

#22 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

Kind of disappointed when I found out he was only 5'10, but you never know, he can turn out to be something decent.

Almost 190 pounds though. Large for someone of his height.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#23 BZRK

BZRK

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

Duco's 5'10.

DARRENHELM

Posted Image

marinated.pea

#24 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,356 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

It doesn't make sense how he was drafted in the 6th round.

Yes it does, the 6th round is prime career AHL territory.
Posted Image

#25 Kassian

Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

Yes it does, the 6th round is prime career AHL territory.

Ever heard of a late bloomer before? Doesn't sound like it.

Posted Image

#26 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:04 PM

I think at best we could hope for a Jannik Hansen/Matt Cooke crossover type player from Friesen. If he does reach that I would still be thrilled considering he's a 6th round pick.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#27 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

Duco's 5'10.

And what exactly has he done of significance? Not a very good example.
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#28 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

This.No one should ever look at points for an overager as indication of future development. Any 20 year old who doesn't put up ppg in the CHL will probably never even get offered a pro contract in their life.

6th round draft pick averaging ppg in 3 straight seasons, willing to drop gloves, plays physical. Not to mention he was a large reason why they made it to the CHL finals only to London scoring ppg in postseason. Say what you want but this kid has the tools and drive that could have him earn a spot on the big club in the future. Gillis would not have signed him if he was just some overage CHL player.
Posted Image

#29 BananaMash

BananaMash

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,293 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:50 PM

6th round draft pick averaging ppg in 3 straight seasons, willing to drop gloves, plays physical. Not to mention he was a large reason why they made it to the CHL finals only to London scoring ppg in postseason. Say what you want but this kid has the tools and drive that could have him earn a spot on the big club in the future. Gillis would not have signed him if he was just some overage CHL player.

Archibald.

Posted Image

#30 Phamda

Phamda

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:03 AM

Archibald.

I get what you're saying but they're two different players with two different styles that play two different positions.

Friesen has put up good numbers in his overage season BUT nobody is expecting him to produce offensively at the NHL-level. If he does, great. But if he ever makes the NHL, it'll be as a defensive specialist/agitator like Malholtra or Bolland. Nobody here is expecting him to be the next Marchand.

Archibald on the other end, people are expecting him to be offensive and a physical force that plays in our top 9. Archibald's biggest problem is his inconsistency in play. He either dominates a game or is completely invisible. His offensive numbers in his overage season was looked as a coming out party, a 'he's finally putting together everything he has'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.