The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Signing) Canucks Sign Alex Friesen

Great to see Friesen signed. Does anyone else see something of the Rypper in him? From what I've seen, he's not the same fighter as Rypien, but he's a willing combattant, has decent skills, a heart of gold, hits all the time, and has the intelligence and defensive savvy all coaches desire. Looks to me like a future penalty-killing, faceoff ace, a locker-room leader, and a fan favourite.

Anyway, I guess we shouldn't read too much into the great season he had as a 21-year old playing against boys this year, but I just wonder if he might not surprise a few people and be NHL ready pretty soon. Or maybe he spends 2-3 years on the farm. But I'm sure thrilled to have a guy like this in the system who has the potential to centre our third or fourth line fairly soon. Who was the last third line centre we drafted? Kesler, I guess, but he was always destined to be more than that. Who else? Artem Chubarov comes to mind. Dave Scatchard, maybe.

I also wanted to say: What is with CDC and its failure to have current stats on Canucks prospects? I mean, we just sign this kid, and the latest CDC stats on him are from 2010-2011?

Then you go to the "In the System" section and you get nothing on any of our prospects. How hard is it to have updated statistics on these guys? I mean Jordan Schroeder could start the year centring our second line and you go to his profile and there's nothing from his three years at college, his three years of World Junior dominance, or his first two years as a Canucks' farmhand! What gives?!

Alright, sorry for the rant. Looking forward to seeing Friesen wreak havoc in a Canucks' uni!

And since CDC just gives us a press release, here's Canucks' Army on the Friesen signing:

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/5/30/canucks-ink-diminutive-hard-nosed-prospect-alex-friesen

Great to see Friesen signed. Does anyone else see something of the Rypper in him? From what I've seen, he's not the same fighter as Rypien, but he's a willing combattant, has decent skills, a heart of gold, hits all the time, and has the intelligence and defensive savvy all coaches desire. Looks to me like a future penalty-killing, faceoff ace, a locker-room leader, and a fan favourite.

Anyway, I guess we shouldn't read too much into the great season he had as a 21-year old playing against boys this year, but I just wonder if he might not surprise a few people and be NHL ready pretty soon. Or maybe he spends 2-3 years on the farm. But I'm sure thrilled to have a guy like this in the system who has the potential to centre our third or fourth line fairly soon. Who was the last third line centre we drafted? Kesler, I guess, but he was always destined to be more than that. Who else? Artem Chubarov comes to mind. Dave Scatchard, maybe.

I also wanted to say: What is with CDC and its failure to have current stats on Canucks prospects? I mean, we just sign this kid, and the latest CDC stats on him are from 2010-2011?

Then you go to the "In the System" section and you get nothing on any of our prospects. How hard is it to have updated statistics on these guys? I mean Jordan Schroeder could start the year centring our second line and you go to his profile and there's nothing from his three years at college, his three years of World Junior dominance, or his first two years as a Canucks' farmhand! What gives?!

Alright, sorry for the rant. Looking forward to seeing Friesen wreak havoc in a Canucks' uni!

And since CDC just gives us a press release, here's Canucks' Army on the Friesen signing:

http://canucksarmy.c...ct-alex-friesen

Guest Dasein

Hits hard, plays hard, excellent defensively and is very intelligent.

Really looking forward to what this kid can do at the professional level against men.

Friesen could be an excellent 3rd line NHL center or a career AHL player - depending on how hard he works.

Hope he pans out! I have high hopes for him to someday make this team as the 3rd line shutdown center.

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks President & General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that the Canucks have signed centre Alex Friesen.

Friesen, 21, recorded 71 points (26-45-71) and 106 penalty minutes in 62 games played with the Niagara IceDogs of the Ontario Hockey League during the 2011.12 season. Friesen, an alternate captain for the IceDogs, was named to the 2011.12 OHL Third All-Star Team.

The 5'10", 189 lbs. native of Niagara-On-the-Lake, Ontario, was originally drafted by Vancouver in the sixth round, 172nd overall in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=633256&intcmpid=van-news-friesen

Pessimest here,

He will not be one of our top 12 forwards at any point. A point per game average as an overage player in the CHL is nothing to write home about, in fact it is actually quite low. He has some grit sure, but he isn't the type of player who could make a career out of being a grind it out player, he would need to have a scoring role to thrive. He might get the odd injury call-up every now and then, but don't hold your breath waiting for him to be a consistent player in our line-up.

At the very best, I could see him becoming a top 6 forward in the AHL, but he will never be overly significant to the Canucks.

Pessimest here,

He will not be one of our top 12 forwards at any point. A point per game average as an overage player in the CHL is nothing to write home about, in fact it is actually quite low. He has some grit sure, but he isn't the type of player who could make a career out of being a grind it out player, he would need to have a scoring role to thrive. He might get the odd injury call-up every now and then, but don't hold your breath waiting for him to be a consistent player in our line-up.

At the very best, I could see him becoming a top 6 forward in the AHL, but he will never be overly significant to the Canucks.

Everybody else is bulking up on the 3rd and 4th lines and you guys are getting excited about a guy who is 5'10" and 186 pounds? LOL Typical. Can't wait to see how many call him a "great" player.

Archived