The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Signing) Canucks Sign Alex Friesen

Guest Dasein

I feel as though he could go on to become a Mike Keane type player and have a similar career if he works hard.

Never a center piece, but a great complementing piece to a contending team.

A late bloomer?

71 points in 62 games as an overager in the CHL is nothing. Add that onto the fact he had 60 points the year we drafted him it shows that his offensive skill has not made any significant improvement.

Not so notable names with more points than Friesen this year:

Daniel Cattenaci

Joshua Leivo

Zack Mitchell

Mike Halmo

Riley Brace

And I know what people will say "yeah but he plays a gritty 2-way game", and he does sure, but his offensive skill is nowhere near good enough to be a 2-way player in the league. The only thing he could add to our team is a small element of grit, but considering his other skills are so far behind NHL calibre, he will not be beneficial on the Canuck roster.

I understand people really want our prospects to succeed, and I do hope I am wrong about Friesen and he ends up as good as everyone thinks, but the truth is is that he is just another run of the mill player who will make no contribution on our lineup.

If he was 6 feet, no one would be complaining. He's 2 inches shorter than 6 feet, big whoop! Get over it. The kid plays with heart and determination which is sorely needed on any team.

Stephen Gionta is listed as 5'7 (I doubt he's even that), and he's been one of the best devils all playoffs. No way do the devils make the finals without him and his line. If we have Friesen playing with the same fire and determination, centering our fourth line, I have no problem with that. Manny Malhotra is 6'2, how effective was he on the 4th line compared to Gionta? Size isn't everything.

Pessimest here,

He will not be one of our top 12 forwards at any point. A point per game average as an overage player in the CHL is nothing to write home about, in fact it is actually quite low. He has some grit sure, but he isn't the type of player who could make a career out of being a grind it out player, he would need to have a scoring role to thrive. He might get the odd injury call-up every now and then, but don't hold your breath waiting for him to be a consistent player in our line-up.

At the very best, I could see him becoming a top 6 forward in the AHL, but he will never be overly significant to the Canucks.

Meh don't need to be gigantor to be tough and keep the can well greased. As long as he translate that ability to hit hard and chip in while being defensively responsible there's still a chance to make the team one day or at least be good depth as a role guy.

Now all we need is some SKILL at centre ice. If Schroeder turns into a bust (and given his size it's crazy to not at least deem that a risk) our depth at that position is abysmal. We better rectify that and soon!

Archived