Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Salo Retiring?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#1 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

Not sure if Salo himself has said anything about retiring, only thing I can remember is during the Canucks superskills he might king of hinted at it. Any new information on this?
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#2 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,871 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

Mike Gillis said on radio last week that he hasn't talked to Salo yet but now that his and AV's contracts are taken care of, he would be talking to Salo in the near future.

I'm sure we'll get news soon on that front. If he can be healthy scratched every now and then to ensure that he's fresh I think he still has some good hockey left in him
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#3 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

Man. I really hope Salo is back. A big part of this team

#4 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

I only heard Salo near the end of the season saying he was interested and planned on playing "somewhere" next season.

He is in for a bit of a raise on what he made last year though as he showed he still has it.

MG hinted at doing some more radical things regarding sleep and fatigue next season. I suspect that he is going to give the veteran guys "mini-breaks" a couple of times during the season. Like give them 3-4 days off in a row including not practicing and scratching them for a game or two.

It breaks up a long season and gives shorter term goals that they can aim towards and would help keep the effort level up.

Salo would be a major beneficiary of this sort of thing and he would be remarkable again I think.

Edited by Provost, 30 May 2012 - 12:20 PM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#5 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,690 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:20 PM

I would like to keep him with the team. It seems right ... but it would have to be in a greatly diminished capacity IMHO. This was part of our problems this year. A 37 year old Salo who was never quick to begin with and not overly productive or flashy in his career should not be on the first/second line with Edler (who needs someone quick or young to play with(or Lidstrom)). He should be on the third every couple games and in the pressbox the rest of the time. I highly doubt this sits well Salo who was upset when he was rested on back to backs, or even with the Canucks, and the Canuck fans. It may unfortunately be time to say good bye. This team needs to start fixing it's obvious deficiencies.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#6 Hafizzle

Hafizzle

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

I think the fact that he had a relatively healthy season last year will mean he will be playing for at least 1 more year. He'll probably take it on a year to year basis. I'm sure the Canucks and Salo will reach a fair deal.

#7 Chong69

Chong69

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

I really hoping he's retiring. I like him but his injuries keep becoming a factor for team consistency. I'd rather that role go to a developing athlete that will have inconsistent play than an aging and physically deteriorating defenceman that is in and out of the line up due to injuries.

#8 Sanj

Sanj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

I really hoping he's retiring. I like him but his injuries keep becoming a factor for team consistency. I'd rather that role go to a developing athlete that will have inconsistent play than an aging and physically deteriorating defenceman that is in and out of the line up due to injuries.

He played 69 games...would have been more had it not been for that rat Marchand. Id take Salo for 60+ games over last years Bieksa (and I like Bieksa)

Edited by Sanj, 30 May 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#9 realnucksfan2010

realnucksfan2010

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Salo is great when healthy, unfortunatley the poor guy is so accident prone that he will most likely hurt himself washing the dishes a week before the season starts and miss two months with a broken wrist.
IMO MG should start using guys like Tanev, Corado, Sauvet, Connauton. this team is getting like the Flames and Detroit, old fat and slow! it is time to start getting a little younger before we suck like the Flames and Detroit!

#10 TheWheeler

TheWheeler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

While he didn't really have any injuries last year and remained relatively healthy, his spot needs to be given to someone younger. Even though no injury, he is REALLY slowing down, and it was really evident at the end of the season and in the playoffs.

As much Canuck as he is, and as much I love the guy, the team needs to be giving those minutes to someone that can CONSISTENTLY be not only offensive, but also defensive.

If Gillis brings in a good right handed D to take Salo's spot with Edler, I'd be all for re-signing Salo but it deifnitely has to be with reduced minutes.

#11 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

While he didn't really have any injuries last year and remained relatively healthy, his spot needs to be given to someone younger. Even though no injury, he is REALLY slowing down, and it was really evident at the end of the season and in the playoffs.

As much Canuck as he is, and as much I love the guy, the team needs to be giving those minutes to someone that can CONSISTENTLY be not only offensive, but also defensive.

If Gillis brings in a good right handed D to take Salo's spot with Edler, I'd be all for re-signing Salo but it deifnitely has to be with reduced minutes.

He was probably one of our best defenseman last year- he's one of the smartest defensive players in the game...

I have no idea what your talking about.

#12 Sanj

Sanj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

He was probably one of our best defenseman last year- he's one of the smartest defensive players in the game...

Thank you! Someone with some sense!

#13 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,380 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

I'm hoping Salo comes back for another year - and I think that is what he was leaning towards - he played some great hockey last year and could really give them a lot of depth and options particularly if they decide to acquire another guy like Garrison or if they decide to move Luongo and receive a blueliner in the package. With Tanev, Alberts, Connauton, Gragnani, Sauve...(potentially Shultz?), they sure have a wealth of youth and prospects to push for the 6th spot...

#14 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

Really hope he comes back next year. Besides Hammer, he was probably our most reliable Dman last year.
Posted Image

#15 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,955 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

He played 69 games...would have been more had it not been for that rat Marchand. Id take Salo for 60+ games over last years Bieksa (and I like Bieksa)

exactly. I believe Salo even said during the season that he was feeling the best he has over the past few seasons. He is the most consistent D man on the team, and our younger players can learn a lot from him.

#16 forevernucks19

forevernucks19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

I hope he does come back. He did address the media that there is still some hockey left in him, and he's not done yet. He said " I don't know where I'll play, whether it's in Vancouver or somewhere else, I'll still play, I feel good, but hopefully it will be here in Vancouver". He has been looking good this year, not many injuries, he's been a beast this year. I hope he comes back in a Canucks jersey, even if it's for 1 year, he deserves to wear the Canucks jersey with pride!!

#17 nuckles88

nuckles88

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

I love Salo and agree he has always been one of our top d-men every year, but i also kind of hope he retires only for the sake of his health. He said it himself that he doesnt want to end up a sore old man because he played hockey for too long. I'll be happy either way though, would love to see him dress for one more season with the Nucks and show our young guys how its done ;)
In Loving Memory of Luc Bourdon, Rick Rypien, Pavol Demitra and all the others lost in the hockey world :'(

#18 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

He'll be back after a better than expected 2011-12 campaign.

Posted Image

#19 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,097 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

He'll be back next year, he even said at the end of the season he's never felt this good in his career.

Our most consistent defensemen.

Edited by Armada, 30 May 2012 - 01:21 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#20 TheWheeler

TheWheeler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

How can you say he was one of our best defensemen last year at only 25pts and a +/- +7? 0 points and a -3 in the playoffs.

I'm not arguing that he's not one of the smartest defensive players in the game. What I am arguing is that he is Edler's right handed partner. If he's going to come back at reduced minutes and maybe be Ballards right handed parter, fine.
But the fact is whoever is Edler's partner needs to be getting ~20 minutes again and NEEDS to be able to keep up and be as consistent as he is (Not that Edler was very consistent at all in the playoffs this year...).

Salo, as great as he is, shouldn't be Edler's partner this up coming year and this should be one of THE biggest areas Gillis addresses in the summer.

Edler and Salo were absolutely brutal in the playoffs. You can't argue that. The team needs a fix in that right sided D position, and an older, not so reliable Salo when the playoffs come around, is not who I want filling that role.

#21 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

Tough to say, but he looked gassed down the stretch. Maybe a 'mysterious off-season injury' is required to shorten his season. Or a lockout. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#22 billabong

billabong

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

if he does come back, he should only play in the third pairing...not top 4 material anymore

personally, i want him to retire just to start a new chapter...i just hope he doesnt play one too many years
Posted Image

#23 Losing With Pride

Losing With Pride

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,726 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

Let's win one with and for Sami!
6th Dman.

#24 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

I hope he doesn't, he stills play with poise plus he has a calming effect on Edler.

#25 shawn antoski

shawn antoski

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

salo will be back 100%
I asked him, he came to my work

me--wow yo salo
salo-- hello
me--1 more year man
salo--okay
me-- for real?
salo--yes
me-- serious for real 100%
salo-- yep 100% ...see you later

and he walked out

no one on here will believe me but whatever

#26 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

Salo in any other jersey would look wrong, He's been a key piece on that team, hope he has another yr left in em'...with us!

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#27 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 73,727 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hope he comes back.

If he does we can limit number of games for next season as he can have some 'Maintenance' days.

Edited by Vintage Canuck., 30 May 2012 - 03:21 PM.

307mg00.jpg

#28 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

salo will be back 100%
I asked him, he came to my work

me--wow yo salo
salo-- hello
me--1 more year man
salo--okay
me-- for real?
salo--yes
me-- serious for real 100%
salo-- yep 100% ...see you later

and he walked out

no one on here will believe me but whatever

wow yo salo LOL

#29 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

How can you say he was one of our best defensemen last year at only 25pts and a +/- +7? 0 points and a -3 in the playoffs.

I'm not arguing that he's not one of the smartest defensive players in the game. What I am arguing is that he is Edler's right handed partner. If he's going to come back at reduced minutes and maybe be Ballards right handed parter, fine.
But the fact is whoever is Edler's partner needs to be getting ~20 minutes again and NEEDS to be able to keep up and be as consistent as he is (Not that Edler was very consistent at all in the playoffs this year...).

Salo, as great as he is, shouldn't be Edler's partner this up coming year and this should be one of THE biggest areas Gillis addresses in the summer.

Edler and Salo were absolutely brutal in the playoffs. You can't argue that. The team needs a fix in that right sided D position, and an older, not so reliable Salo when the playoffs come around, is not who I want filling that role.

How can you say he wasn't ?

stat's aren't everything + he wasn't playing 20 + minutes a game he was roughly around 16-19 minutes a game while not being a defensive liability - if you think salo was a defensive liability I have no clue what hockey team you've been watching..

during the LA series - please tell me what defender on our team was actually good?

however do agree we do have a bad defensive situation right now on our team - we do need a top 4 or top 2 guy to slot in on this team as a right side defenseman - if luo gets traded hopefully we get something like that..

but i do not agree on your views about salo.

he's also been more than just a player - old man salo has mentored guys like tanev and if knauts and sauve get a chance next year he'd definitly help them out being around the game for so long - a guy like sundin did wonders for kesler - i know salo can do the same for our kids while still playing solid defensive hockey.

#30 Thrill-House

Thrill-House

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

It's a bit ironic how at 37, Salo played the most games in a season since pre-lockout. This while given a couple of maintenance days and an injury due to a cheap hit.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.