The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Salo Retiring?

yogolol

Mike Gillis said on radio last week that he hasn't talked to Salo yet but now that his and AV's contracts are taken care of, he would be talking to Salo in the near future.

I'm sure we'll get news soon on that front. If he can be healthy scratched every now and then to ensure that he's fresh I think he still has some good hockey left in him

I only heard Salo near the end of the season saying he was interested and planned on playing "somewhere" next season.

He is in for a bit of a raise on what he made last year though as he showed he still has it.

MG hinted at doing some more radical things regarding sleep and fatigue next season. I suspect that he is going to give the veteran guys "mini-breaks" a couple of times during the season. Like give them 3-4 days off in a row including not practicing and scratching them for a game or two.

It breaks up a long season and gives shorter term goals that they can aim towards and would help keep the effort level up.

Salo would be a major beneficiary of this sort of thing and he would be remarkable again I think.

I would like to keep him with the team. It seems right ... but it would have to be in a greatly diminished capacity IMHO. This was part of our problems this year. A 37 year old Salo who was never quick to begin with and not overly productive or flashy in his career should not be on the first/second line with Edler (who needs someone quick or young to play with(or Lidstrom)). He should be on the third every couple games and in the pressbox the rest of the time. I highly doubt this sits well Salo who was upset when he was rested on back to backs, or even with the Canucks, and the Canuck fans. It may unfortunately be time to say good bye. This team needs to start fixing it's obvious deficiencies.

I think the fact that he had a relatively healthy season last year will mean he will be playing for at least 1 more year. He'll probably take it on a year to year basis. I'm sure the Canucks and Salo will reach a fair deal.

I really hoping he's retiring. I like him but his injuries keep becoming a factor for team consistency. I'd rather that role go to a developing athlete that will have inconsistent play than an aging and physically deteriorating defenceman that is in and out of the line up due to injuries.

I really hoping he's retiring. I like him but his injuries keep becoming a factor for team consistency. I'd rather that role go to a developing athlete that will have inconsistent play than an aging and physically deteriorating defenceman that is in and out of the line up due to injuries.

Salo is great when healthy, unfortunatley the poor guy is so accident prone that he will most likely hurt himself washing the dishes a week before the season starts and miss two months with a broken wrist.

IMO MG should start using guys like Tanev, Corado, Sauvet, Connauton. this team is getting like the Flames and Detroit, old fat and slow! it is time to start getting a little younger before we suck like the Flames and Detroit!

While he didn't really have any injuries last year and remained relatively healthy, his spot needs to be given to someone younger. Even though no injury, he is REALLY slowing down, and it was really evident at the end of the season and in the playoffs.

As much Canuck as he is, and as much I love the guy, the team needs to be giving those minutes to someone that can CONSISTENTLY be not only offensive, but also defensive.

If Gillis brings in a good right handed D to take Salo's spot with Edler, I'd be all for re-signing Salo but it deifnitely has to be with reduced minutes.

While he didn't really have any injuries last year and remained relatively healthy, his spot needs to be given to someone younger. Even though no injury, he is REALLY slowing down, and it was really evident at the end of the season and in the playoffs.

As much Canuck as he is, and as much I love the guy, the team needs to be giving those minutes to someone that can CONSISTENTLY be not only offensive, but also defensive.

If Gillis brings in a good right handed D to take Salo's spot with Edler, I'd be all for re-signing Salo but it deifnitely has to be with reduced minutes.

I'm hoping Salo comes back for another year - and I think that is what he was leaning towards - he played some great hockey last year and could really give them a lot of depth and options particularly if they decide to acquire another guy like Garrison or if they decide to move Luongo and receive a blueliner in the package. With Tanev, Alberts, Connauton, Gragnani, Sauve...(potentially Shultz?), they sure have a wealth of youth and prospects to push for the 6th spot...

I hope he does come back. He did address the media that there is still some hockey left in him, and he's not done yet. He said " I don't know where I'll play, whether it's in Vancouver or somewhere else, I'll still play, I feel good, but hopefully it will be here in Vancouver". He has been looking good this year, not many injuries, he's been a beast this year. I hope he comes back in a Canucks jersey, even if it's for 1 year, he deserves to wear the Canucks jersey with pride!!

I love Salo and agree he has always been one of our top d-men every year, but i also kind of hope he retires only for the sake of his health. He said it himself that he doesnt want to end up a sore old man because he played hockey for too long. I'll be happy either way though, would love to see him dress for one more season with the Nucks and show our young guys how its done ;)

Archived