The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Salo Retiring?

yogolol

We need to bring Salo back. I am not going to argue about the regular season, cuz who cares...nor his healthy or unhealthy playing time, you don't get to choose when a 100mph puck smashes your testicle, or when a 200 pound marchand smashes your brain bucket.

Salo brings poise and 100 NHL playoff games of experience to the table where he has earned a point in every third game. Two points a series, is that something you really want to pass up cuz he missed regular season games in years where we won the President's Trophy?

Love Salo like a lot of people here and agree that he was absolutely solid, probably most reliable after Hamhuis imo. But I have to admit he did look old from time to time and his big shot wasn't very effective. This is probably because we played him top 4 Defensemen minutes. I'm sure he can handle bottom pairing and make our team that much stronger, or even sub with Tanev. Basically what I'm saying is he's not the answer for Edler's partner for next season .

I only heard Salo near the end of the season saying he was interested and planned on playing "somewhere" next season.

He is in for a bit of a raise on what he made last year though as he showed he still has it.

MG hinted at doing some more radical things regarding sleep and fatigue next season. I suspect that he is going to give the veteran guys "mini-breaks" a couple of times during the season. Like give them 3-4 days off in a row including not practicing and scratching them for a game or two.

It breaks up a long season and gives shorter term goals that they can aim towards and would help keep the effort level up.

Salo would be a major beneficiary of this sort of thing and he would be remarkable again I think.

I only heard Salo near the end of the season saying he was interested and planned on playing "somewhere" next season.

He is in for a bit of a raise on what he made last year though as he showed he still has it.

MG hinted at doing some more radical things regarding sleep and fatigue next season. I suspect that he is going to give the veteran guys "mini-breaks" a couple of times during the season. Like give them 3-4 days off in a row including not practicing and scratching them for a game or two.

It breaks up a long season and gives shorter term goals that they can aim towards and would help keep the effort level up.

Salo would be a major beneficiary of this sort of thing and he would be remarkable again I think.

He still has a bit left. I think had we gone all the way this year and won the cup, he would retire. But as that is not the case I think he will want at least one more (and one more shot) at the cup.

If he leaves there is a huge hole in the D. Bigger than many will think.

If the Canucks manage to sign Garrisson, re-signing Salo may not be as important. However, I think the Nucks look at Salo much like they look at Malhotra, a leader on the ice and the type of guy you want in the locker room. Even if they sign Garrisson, I think they will try to make room for Salo for 1 more year.

Garrisson and Salo! Two bombs from the point! Both PP units need this, especially come playoff time.

Yes, getting a top 4 man to play with Elder would be best (via trade or UFA)

Salo in the 5/6 spot is perfect. Solidifies whoever he is with, probably somebody young (ie. Tanev)

Some special teams yes, do not overdue the minutes. He is so smart and reliable.

Not a game breaker much anymore. Although his shot is still a cannon he is not scoring enough to be played or paid like a top 4.

1 more year please mr. salo. you are too valuable to lose. He is worth another 2 mil deal. 1 year.

On the other hand, it is okay to get younger (fiestier, stronger, cheaper, quicker, etc) the year after that.

Are young guys need to be able to step in soon to see if they will fit (Cannouton, savue, tanev, etc.)

I'd really like to see Sami come back for another year. He was the Canucks most consistent defender during the regular season.

I have to say though, I thought he was their worst in the LA series. He looked tired and slow.

If he can play the way he played during the 69 games of the regular season, I'm all for it!

:towel::canucks:

Mike Gillis said on radio last week that he hasn't talked to Salo yet but now that his and AV's contracts are taken care of, he would be talking to Salo in the near future.

I'm sure we'll get news soon on that front. If he can be healthy scratched every now and then to ensure that he's fresh I think he still has some good hockey left in him

Archived