me--1 more year man

salo--okay

me-- for real?

salo--yes

me-- serious for real 100%

salo-- yep 100% ...see you later

and he walked out

no one on here will believe me but whatever

How can you say he was one of our best defensemen last year at only 25pts and a +/- +7? 0 points and a -3 in the playoffs.

I'm not arguing that he's not one of the smartest defensive players in the game. What I am arguing is that he is Edler's right handed partner. If he's going to come back at reduced minutes and maybe be Ballards right handed parter, fine.

But the fact is whoever is Edler's partner needs to be getting ~20 minutes again and NEEDS to be able to keep up and be as consistent as he is (Not that Edler was very consistent at all in the playoffs this year...).

Salo, as great as he is, shouldn't be Edler's partner this up coming year and this should be one of THE biggest areas Gillis addresses in the summer.

Edler and Salo were absolutely brutal in the playoffs. You can't argue that. The team needs a fix in that right sided D position, and an older, not so reliable Salo when the playoffs come around, is not who I want filling that role.

salo will be back 100%

I asked him, he came to my work

me--wow yo salo

salo-- hello

me--1 more year man

salo--okay

me-- for real?

salo--yes

me-- serious for real 100%

salo-- yep 100% ...see you later

and he walked out

no one on here will believe me but whatever

How can you say he wasn't ?

stat's aren't everything + he wasn't playing 20 + minutes a game he was roughly around 16-19

minutes a game while not being a defensive liability - if you think salo was a defensive liability I have no clue what hockey team you've been watching..

during the LA series - please tell me what defender on our team was actually good?

BALLARD

however do agree we do have a bad defensive situation right now on our team - we do need a top 4 or top 2 guy to slot in on this team as a right side defenseman - if luo gets traded hopefully we get something like that..

but i do not agree on your views about salo.

he's also been more than just a player - old man salo has mentored guys like tanev and if knauts and sauve get a chance next year he'd definitly help them out being around the game for so long - a guy like sundin did wonders for kesler - i know salo can do the same for our kids while still playing solid defensive hockey.

Great analysis.

There are signs we absolutely need Salo. Lets face it, there is a HUGE gaping hole on the right side of our D if Salo moves on.

There are also signs he is diminishing. Yes you could argue he is due a raise. We clearly were a much better team when he played, and offers a steadiness plus some skills that we cannot replace with any prospect in our system. But you cant overpay either. Salo had something like 15 points in 15 games to start the season. Erhoff who? Posts were rampant here on CDC. But he finished with 10 more points on the year in the balance of 55 more games. I suggest a year on a similar salary as this year? Logic says his role should be a 6th defender who can jump into top 4 or PP as needed.

Really, we should be looking for his replacement as our number 1 priority this off season. But absolutely still find him a role.

I would like to keep him with the team. It seems right ... but it would have to be in a greatly diminished capacity IMHO. This was part of our problems this year. A 37 year old Salo who was never quick to begin with and not overly productive or flashy in his career should not be on the first/second line with Edler (who needs someone quick or young to play with(or Lidstrom)). He should be on the third every couple games and in the pressbox the rest of the time. I highly doubt this sits well Salo who was upset when he was rested on back to backs, or even with the Canucks, and the Canuck fans. It may unfortunately be time to say good bye. This team needs to start fixing it's obvious deficiencies.

How can you say he wasn't ?

stat's aren't everything + he wasn't playing 20 + minutes a game he was roughly around 16-19 minutes a game while not being a defensive liability - if you think salo was a defensive liability I have no clue what hockey team you've been watching..

during the LA series - please tell me what defender on our team was actually good?

however do agree we do have a bad defensive situation right now on our team - we do need a top 4 or top 2 guy to slot in on this team as a right side defenseman - if luo gets traded hopefully we get something like that..

but i do not agree on your views about salo.

he's also been more than just a player - old man salo has mentored guys like tanev and if knauts and sauve get a chance next year he'd definitly help them out being around the game for so long - a guy like sundin did wonders for kesler - i know salo can do the same for our kids while still playing solid defensive hockey.

How can you say he was one of our best defensemen last year at only 25pts and a +/- +7? 0 points and a -3 in the playoffs.

I'm not arguing that he's not one of the smartest defensive players in the game. What I am arguing is that he is Edler's right handed partner. If he's going to come back at reduced minutes and maybe be Ballards right handed parter, fine.

But the fact is whoever is Edler's partner needs to be getting ~20 minutes again and NEEDS to be able to keep up and be as consistent as he is (Not that Edler was very consistent at all in the playoffs this year...).

Salo, as great as he is, shouldn't be Edler's partner this up coming year and this should be one of THE biggest areas Gillis addresses in the summer.

Edler and Salo were absolutely brutal in the playoffs. You can't argue that. The team needs a fix in that right sided D position, and an older, not so reliable Salo when the playoffs come around, is not who I want filling that role.

I really hoping he's retiring. I like him but his injuries keep becoming a factor for team consistency. I'd rather that role go to a developing athlete that will have inconsistent play than an aging and physically deteriorating defenceman that is in and out of the line up due to injuries.

Salo,playing in 69 games , was tied for fourth in all NHL rear guards in PP goals scored.

Sami will soon be 38 years old but is beating the pants off near every d man in the league,without a full season played,including every Canuck d man in this category.

Archived