The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quality of the game

I don't say this because I hate the Kings or Devils, I hate the Flyers and Blackhawks, but that was a very entertaining hockey. Since about mid February, almost to the point where Shanny came out and expressed 'the game's speed is making hockey to dangerous' "dead puck" hockey has returned to the NHL. From this point in Feb the top 5 teams who were leading the NHL in total goals for, goal scoring production ALL dropped by a goal. Also at this point, total goal scoring dropped by a whole goal. Average goals per game dropped from 5.2, to 4.1.

Fast forward to the playoffs, the final four teams who were left featured none of the top 7 teams in goal scoring, yet all were in the top 10 in goals against. Last year Vancouver and San Jose were in the top 5 in goal scoring. Going back to first year of post lockout hockey a top 5 team in goals for, has shown up in the SCF every year, but this one.

On A Canucks standpoint, at the time of the sudden change the Sedin's were in the top of 5 in the NHL scoring race, from the point where obstruction was slowly put back in the game, both players production drastically went down. Sedin's current stats (mid feb on)are closer to their pre lockout numbers. Since mid Feb, Canucks powerplay dropped 7%. ALL the teams who were in the top 5 Powerplays dropped at least 5%

The games are not fun to watch anymore unless your hometown team is playing. We got a taste of great hockey, and in the span of a month, 6 years of very entertaining hockey was taken away from us.

honestly, i kind of prefer games in which teams aren't scoring left and right. i think it makes every goal more meaningful/exciting/cathartic. I'm happy with a 2-1 score. 5-3 or 7-4 just seems like too much for me and it's clear that neither the goalies nor defense were playing well. looking back to last year's finals, the games in vancouver were some of the most exciting games i'd ever seen even though they were low scoring. then again i grew up watching soccer, so I'm probably just used to low scoring games.

0-0 tie: Plodding around in the neutral zone every shift. Everyone afraid to make a pass.

1-0 Kings lead: LA controls the game pretty much.

1-1 tie: NJ takes over a bit. Has multiple chances to win the game.

2-1 Kings win in OT: Brutal turnover by NJ.

Come to think of it, this script is pretty normal for a game 1 scf game. Cheers.

TOML

I thought Game 1 was excellent. You complain that the only people enjoying hockey right now are the fans of the teams in the finals.

That's baloney. The only reason the "quality of the game" sucks to you right now, is because YOUR team isn't playing.

Give me a break.

Defense wins championships.

Actually, i've watched the NHL playoffs for years, all teams, and these playoffs are awful. Not as bad as the NJ-Ana finals, but pretty bad.

People generally want to see the best of what the NHL has to offer when it comes to the playoffs. How does a 8th seed vs a 6th seed do that? Beyond old man Brodeur, the record-seeker, the Devils are devoid of personality. And the LA Kings are a collection of spoiled brat d-bags and ho-hum vets like Mitchell. btw If Mitchell is one of the best d-men in the playoffs, then that pretty much sums up what kind of playoffs they are.

It would be nice if there was a great story or two. Some drama. We haven't seen anything in that regard since Philly-Pittsburgh.

Also, where's the 'great leadership' here. Parise? He could easily bolt his beloved Devils for tons of cash. While tradebait Dustin Brown comes across like the biggest d-bag in the NHL. Captain Greed vs. Captain Caveman. Hooray!

I remain unimpressed. Bring on a mini-lockout, some corresponding rules changes, and let's get back to what we had before. Cheers.

TOML

Nsh, Van, Sj, Det, Chi, Bos, Pit, and Phi were all in sort of a mini transition this year, they all looked strong going into the playoffs but in the end the more complete hungry teams made it through

I think its just an odd thing and 2 of those 8 teams will probably be in the SCF once again next year, just too likely they acuire someone amazing.

Philly vs Penguins was one hell of a series, wow, one of the most exciting hockey I have seen.

But I also loved the Canucks vs Blackhawks series.

Main things to make hockey exciting for me:

-Intesity

-Hitting/fighting/hate

-Goals

-Fast paced

-Amazing saves

I do realize this subject is very subjective. I understand that some people like grittier tighter checking hockey, but 3 major Canadian newspapers (including Vancouver Province) talked about how clutching and grabbing is back in hockey, yet neither TSN or CBC have not mentioned it once. Not an article, not on anyone's blog, nothing.

Quality of the game should not take a back door to speculation on Patrick Roy, who is not even with a team currently. It should not even take a back door to our precious Canucks.

If Bettman thinks he can just count on us dumbass Canadians to blindly watch the NHL no matter what, he's got another thing coming.

There was no one more into hockey than me, not too long ago, but now, I can't WAIT til the NFL season starts. You may say, "Well your Canucks are out so..."

Yeah but I usually still care about the playoffs, and especially the SCF's. This year, I've seen three games since the first round. Paint drying is just as entertaining, but at least you are accomplishing something with painting.

Bring on the NFL, my soon-to-be new favourite league to watch.

If you don't change your ways NHL, I'm peacing out.

I thought Game 1 was excellent. You complain that the only people enjoying hockey right now are the fans of the teams in the finals.

That's baloney. The only reason the "quality of the game" sucks to you right now, is because YOUR team isn't playing.

Give me a break.

Defense wins championships.

defense wins championshops

it also bores the hell out of everyone

cant believe people are actually defending a trap style of play or boring ass tight games

your lying to yourself if you think this its more entertaining then a van vs chicago or philly vs pitsburg

dont know what you mean,i just watched the 1st period of game 3 which had 13 total shots on goal from the outside through a sea of bodies... if thats not hockey i dont know what is... i say scrap the 82 reg season games and just start the playoffs straight away with best of 13 series... this is amazing hockey i hardly touched my beer it was so gripping..

If Bettman thinks he can just count on us dumbass Canadians to blindly watch the NHL no matter what, he's got another thing coming.

There was no one more into hockey than me, not too long ago, but now, I can't WAIT til the NFL season starts. You may say, "Well your Canucks are out so..."

Yeah but I usually still care about the playoffs, and especially the SCF's. This year, I've seen three games since the first round. Paint drying is just as entertaining, but at least you are accomplishing something with painting.

Bring on the NFL, my soon-to-be new favourite league to watch.

If you don't change your ways NHL, I'm peacing out.

0-0 tie: Plodding around in the neutral zone every shift. Everyone afraid to make a pass.

1-0 Kings lead: LA controls the game pretty much.

1-1 tie: NJ takes over a bit. Has multiple chances to win the game.

2-1 Kings win in OT: Brutal turnover by NJ.

Come to think of it, this script is pretty normal for a game 1 scf game. Cheers.

TOML

dont know what you mean,i just watched the 1st period of game 3 which had 13 total shots on goal from the outside through a sea of bodies... if thats not hockey i dont know what is... i say scrap the 82 reg season games and just start the playoffs straight away with best of 13 series... this is amazing hockey i hardly touched my beer it was so gripping..

I'm enjoying the playoffs this year. I think the sheer dominance of the Kings has made it less interesting but it is still amazing to me how that team only finished in eighth place in the West. They are so much better than everyone else right now. The Kings don't seem to lack anything. They have big bodies, can score 5 on 5, have an unreal PK and are very young. Brown and Kopitar are plus 15. Plus 15 in the playoffs on the first line? That's unbelievable. They have four guys who could arguably win the Conn Smythe. They are going to be tough to beat in the coming years.

The problem with dominance is that it can be boring. There is little doubt LA is going to win. The only question is in how many games. I think that was the feeling going into the finals as well and that's a bit of a problem. LA didn't play all that well in games 1 and 2 but still won and then blew the doors off last night.

I'm concerned going forward because this LA team could be great for years to come as the core is locked up long term save for Quick. Plus they are getting some cap relief with Penner's deal expiring and have a good asset in Bernier to move.

defense wins championshops

it also bores the hell out of everyone

cant believe people are actually defending a trap style of play or boring ass tight games

your lying to yourself if you think this its more entertaining then a van vs chicago or philly vs pitsburg

Archived