The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hopes for Offseason

Ossi Vaananen

My toughts? MG has to re-tool this team, as much as I hate to say it Kes may have to go, His egeo is a distraction, I mean come on man, A nude photo shoot really? Pathetic!!!

That is not the behavior of a champion. Luo has to go, if he doesn't his head will explode! We have more than enough borderline FA's on this team move at least 3/4 of them and lets see what our Prospects bring to the table before they are 35 and usless!

The time is now to make this team better than it is, if MG doesn't move now we will be just like the Flames, OLD, FAT AND SLOW, with no promising prospects!

Realistically? For the two main needs - 2nd Center and 2nd RD - one will be addressed by UFA, the other by the return in the Luongo deal. And I hope they're both excellent players.

If we trade Luongo, and part of the return is a top-6 center (Lecavalier, Marleau, Bozak), then I would like to see Jason Garrison targeted in UFA.

If we trade Luongo for a right-side defenseman (most likely: Schenn), the pickings are even slimmer for a UFA center. I'd expect us to target someone who is primarily thought of as a 3rd center, but good enough to fill in for the top-6 (Chris Kelly, Paul Gaustad).

Luongo for Bozak and Schenn fills both our needs. I could see that as a deal that benefits both sides. Both players are fairly young, but well established as able to play 2nd line and top-4 minutes. At 22, I expect Schenn to get much better, and perhaps develp to be a bonafide top-pairing defensive defenseman who could be a permanent partner to Edler.

To provide cap room, the obvious move is to get rid of Ballard. Find a team that will take him for a 3rd rounder or something - heck, waive him if you have to. Let Alberts, Tanev, and Gragnani cover the bottom pairing and its limited minutes. Sauve and Connaughton should be good enough to call up for injury relief. Then you have PLENTY of money to work with, and can afford to take/offer a high contract to get the best option available to fill the more important top-6/4 roles.

Lastly, I'd loathe to go forward thinking Schroeder can simply fill the 2nd line C spot. For one, he hasn't played an NHL game yet. And secondly, if he does, what if he or Henrik gets hurt? We don't have any other centers in the organization who are good enough - even potentially good enough - to step into that spot.

why do, so many, want to gut this team?....we won two president's trophies, went to game 7 of the scf and got beat this year, to a team that seems to be beating everybody....we need a number 4, right handed d-man to compliment edler....a top 9 forward.....and trade a goalie.....i'ld like to see the amex line given another shot....lappy, moved up to third line center.....possibly a ballard trade....and a few more fans, who don't disrespect their players....

We are passionate and deserve to have the best quality product presented to us as fans. Players are professionals, and are thus expected to perform.

This is a business. Players that don't perform should be reevaluated. There are other intangibles to be taken into account (locker room dynamics, work ethic, etc), but it's all about the product.

IMO, even though we won 51 games last season, with a very good team, the product was lacking. The 'entertainment factor' was not only diminished from the past, but the work ethic and drive that was absent during the season translated into our disastrous post season.

We lacked hunger, president's trophy or not. If significant making changes can change this, then I am all for it.

Does anyone actually give a crap about the regular season.

Alex Edler wasn't just bad in the playoffs, he lost games for the canucks singlehandedly with his turnovers, for at least two of the losses.

Ryan Kesler had a bad year and everyone wants him gone.

In this market it's what have you done for me lately

We have some cap space...Booth is tradeable, not sign Pahlsson, maybe Raymond can be traded...if not resign him at a reasonable hit of 2 - 2,5 mill. Ballard will be hard to move...he does well on my EA NHL-game...even Raymond is scoring like hell, so perhaps give him another chance too ;)

What we need: at least real top 6 forward and a top #1 defenceman. If we can move a contract or we have to get a premier sniper instead of just a top 6 guy!

Gimme a break!!!

I've been a die hard fan of this club for over 30 years and I've disliked quite a few players that have worn the Canucks jersey.  Disliking Mayson Raymond hardly makes me a hater.  I dislike Sean Avery, so in your mind if Sean Avery were to, somehow, become a Canuck my dislike of Sean Avery makes me a Canuck hater??  Am I a hater because I didn't like Essa Tikkannen?  Am I a hater because I loathed Messier??  Am I a hater because I got sick and tired of Dan Cloutier?  No.  Despite some of the riff raff that has worn the Canucks jersey I have remained a proud and dedicated (frustrated) fan.

Not tolerating the deserved critizism of a select few Canuck players just makes you a lost homer with blinders on.

As a long suffering and dedicated fan my first concern is winning.  My loyalty is to the team as a whole, not the players as individuals.

Out of curiousity, can you tell me how Mason Raymond is a benefit to the Canucks?

Why on earth do we need more FA's? WE HAVE TO MANY ALREADY!!!!!!!

If we don't give young guys like Schoeder a chance to prove them selves then why draft?

No he hasn't played and NHL game yet, so what? Then give him some, we won't know what he can do if we don't give him the opportunity! I mean look at Burrows, undrafted and stuck in the ECHL, out of nowhere he signs with van and the rest is history one of our most valuable players all because he was given a chance!

All these FA's we keep getting are not panning out and it is obvious, lets see Ebett hardly plays, Rheinprect who?, Mancari who?, Oreskovic hardly plays, Alberts is a fill in guy no real ice time unless there is a huge injury, Rome the same, I mean holy crap do we really need all of these guys who hardly play if they do at all, the way i see it is if you get ride of most of them then you can spend more time and effort developing the young guys in those spots, give them some ice time and the experience of NHL life, it will show them what it takes to stay here, if MG does that we will see what some these prospects are made of. Just imagine having a prospect like T.Hall or Crosby and not using them or giving them experience, what a waste of potential that would be!

Keep Pahllson for a bit less, ditch Malhotra.

Sign Garrison.

Trade Luongo, Schroeder, and Higgins to Tor for the 5th overall, and Joey Crabb

Trade the 5th overall and Jensen for Kris Versteeg

Trade Joey Crabb, and a 1st for Ott

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Versteeg

Ott Lapierre Kassian

Bitz Pahllson Hansen

Hamhuis Bieksa

Ballard Garrison

Edler Tanev/Salo/Rome

Schneider

Lack

Versteeg is only going to get better, especially with Kesler and Booth.

Garrison and Ballard are meant to click, and Garrison plays both sides.

Ott is exactly the player to play with Kassian and Lapierre.

4 Stanely Cups.

Top6: check

Bot6: check

Top4: check

Archived