The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Insider Trading on Roberto Luongo

Jonathan Canuck

In case you missed it, here is what Darren Dreger of TSN said in regards to the Roberto Luongo "situation" with the Canucks:

"Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis will talk with goaltender Roberto Luongo this week and he's trying to get a sense from him as to whether or not his views have changed on his future and for next season. The Canucks will also have scouting meetings next week and after that, they will nail down a definitive plan. I'm told Gillis is receiving interest from teams for Luongo but there's an equally strong chance that he does nothing and Luongo returns as a member of the Canucks."

Definitely some food for thought there. First of all, good to hear that we will be having some kind of direction in the next weeks or so. Second of all, I'm not going to lie, I have been a huge Luongo supporter from day 1, but I [thought] I had seen that ship sail weeks ago. This really made me think, all over again, that they may do absolutely nothing here. I hadn't jumped on the bandwagon to boot Lou out of the city, but I had pretty much assumed it was a forgone conclusion that he wasn't going to be here come September/October.

Well, what do you think?

Luongo is more valueable to the Canucks than a low ball package. If he still wants out, he may have to be patient untill the "right" offer comes along, otherwise you roll with the best goalie tandem in the league, and look to UFA day.

Guest Dasein

I've also been quiet through these hours playing the dummy along with the crowd, but I'm going to be honest - I want Luongo to stay over Schneider. The only reason I see Luongo getting traded instead of Schneider is because he has a higher trade value. Yes, Luongo has the higher trade value.

The thing is, the Vancouver Canucks are a contender that needs one or two pieces to get back to elite status. If one of our goaltenders can get us that, then we have a solid team that is good enough to win regardless of who's back there. Schneider can't get us those pieces - Luongo can.

That's why Luongo may get traded - because it doesn't matter for us who's in net between Luongo and Schneider as long as we have that solid return that addresses our needs on defense (particularly the right side) - because we have a solid team.

Even if no team wants him, he's going to have to make an exception to another team aside from his list if they give a good offer. I'm sure he'll be ok with that. Can we even do that though? Or does Lu have to be traded to a team on his list? I fon't think he wants to stay here and back up Schneider. If Luongo is not traded, then trade Schneider. If Luongo is traded, keep Schneider. This might take longer than expected, so be patient guys. I dont think this will happen anytime soon. In fact, I don't think MG has even thought about which goalie he wants to keep.

I hate GMMG for one thing.

And that's how he handles trades and FA signings.

He's so hush about it and misleads everyone that it just creates more problems. Let people know what's going on once you've decided. Till then, don't say a word.

I think we are in for some sort of a major move this offseason. Our cup window is not going to last forever and we need to win now while the bulk of our team is still intact. We've tried the last 4 years with this team and besides our one wonderful cup run, this team has not gotten the job done. We need to bring in a game changer, a player who can raise his level of performance when the game is on the line in the playoffs. Whether it's going to be Lu departing(most likely) or anybody else, we need to bring in a signifigant name through trade or free agency. If Canucks fans go through a quiet, non-eventful offseason, I will honestly be surprised and disappointed.

Keeping Luongo and having a stellar tandem = win. If Luongo wants to start elsewhere and the Canucks receive what he is worth = win. As long as we manage to keep Schneider in a Canucks uniform, it is a win, win situation. The Canucks are in an enviable position of strength. I'll be happy either way.

I hate GMMG for one thing.

And that's how he handles trades and FA signings.

He's so hush about it and misleads everyone that it just creates more problems. Let people know what's going on once you've decided. Till then, don't say a word.

I like the idea of having both goalies, too, what could be better for the canucks organization, BUT

roberto isn't going to consider himself as a backup, no way, he is a starter, wants to be a starter,

and will go to a team as a starter.  Schneider will be a starter, he is finished with the back up role.

He is ready for his own team.  If he leaves and roberto stays, and then doesn't play well, struggles

the fans will go out of their silly little minds, as they can't tolerate anything but perfection, even

though most of them don't have a clue how to really assess anything about the team, they just have their 'I want

I want attitudes, like little children.

So, with that in mind, I think roberto will leave and go somewhere, and yes, his list is his list, and

he doesn't have to change it for anyone, unless he wants to.

I think canucks will have schneider next season with lack backing up. Roberto is in a tough position,

so for his own sake he probably should move on, but gillis doesn't have to move him unless he can

be satisfied with what he will get in return.

If gillis keeps both goalies the atmosphere won't be as nice and smooth as it has been for the two goalies

in the past, there will be friction.

Nope, Lu needs to go. It's good for both parties, and why would we keep him for another season?? Just to have a winning regular season and go out in the first round again because of 8 goal Lu?? Yes he let in 8 goals when Schneider actually kept the team in the games. Face it people Lu is an overrated goalie. Plus I believe Gillis is just saying that to calm things down.

Archived