The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Insider Trading on Roberto Luongo

Jonathan Canuck

I am excited to see what we can get in return for 1 of our goalies. I am a huge fan of both and will be sad to see one go.

Schneider seems solid in every way but lacks experience. While Lu is an impact keeper, brought home Gold in 2010 and almost followed it up with a cup.

I watch every game every year and believe me when i say we will greatly miss Luongo if he chooses to go. Have been really disappointed with the all the hate over the last couple of seasons.

i really thought the topic of Luongo leaving is a done deal when he admitted to the media he is willing to waive his NTC. but now it looks like Lu and schneids are both staying. I'm a big Luongo fan, and I would prefer him to stay. Lu or Schneids staying- it doesnt matter anymore. if Lu wants to leave, then thats ok. I guess it would be better for him. if he stays, that would be great too. i guess as a fan we should just be ready to loose Lu or Schneids. or maybe we get some great news that both will stay :-)

As good as it would be to have both, come playoff time, I think having one goalie along with an asset recieved from one of the goalies threw trade, would overall do us better than keeping both, dealing with a "goalie controversy" all year, and just riding one goalie on and off. I think it's better for the team and Luongo for us to trade one or the other. This is going to be MG's most important summer of his GM career that could make or break this window we have here for the cup.

I think we should stop spreading these rumours and speculating until something concrete actually emerges. I hope to the hockey gods that we keep Lu, it'll be a HUGE mistake if we let him slip away!

Keeping Luongo and having a stellar tandem = win. If Luongo wants to start elsewhere and the Canucks receive what he is worth = win. As long as we manage to keep Schneider in a Canucks uniform, it is a win, win situation. The Canucks are in an enviable position of strength. I'll be happy either way.

I am excited to see what we can get in return for 1 of our goalies. I am a huge fan of both and will be sad to see one go.

Schneider seems solid in every way but lacks experience. While Lu is an impact keeper, brought home Gold in 2010 and almost followed it up with a cup.

I watch every game every year and believe me when i say we will greatly miss Luongo if he chooses to go. Have been really disappointed with the all the hate over the last couple of seasons.

I hate GMMG for one thing.

And that's how he handles trades and FA signings.

He's so hush about it and misleads everyone that it just creates more problems.  Let people know what's going on once you've decided.  Till then, don't say a word.

Nope, Lu needs to go. It's good for both parties, and why would we keep him for another season?? Just to have a winning regular season and go out in the first round again because of 8 goal Lu?? Yes he let in 8 goals when Schneider actually kept the team in the games. Face it people Lu is an overrated goalie. Plus I believe Gillis is just saying that to calm things down.

Its certainly a possibility that Luongo will remain with the team but IMO I think its not probable. One has to think that the Luongo/Schneider situation is a distraction for the guys in the dressing room, a situation that should be rectified one way or the other. We have about a month to wait for draft, something should happen by then,.The clocks ticking !!

If it were not for the emergence of Schneider then I would want to keep Lou around too as it seems no better goalies are going to be available next season. I am one of the group of people who if had to choose between the two goalies we have, would choose Schneider in a heartbeat over Luongo.

Luongo's best days clearly seem to be behind him, aside from the Jennings trophy(which Schneider had a hand in)Luongo has not won anything at the NHL level, unless you count the Jack Adams award that he won for Alain Vigneault in 2007. Nominations for Vezina trophies and "almost winning the Stanley Cup" on a Presidents Trophy winning team do not count for anything. I dont think the Gold medal counts as that was an international competion and he had Team Universe in front of him, also that was only a two week tournament as opposed to the two month marathon that the playoffs are.

Personally I just do not see Luo as an "elite", "impact" player anymore. He certainly was once upon a time but aside from 2007 and 2011 his stats have been middle of the pack during the regular season and worse than that during the playoffs. My point being is that there is no reason for anyone to think that Schneider couldn't at least match what Luongo is capable of now, and more likely exceed that based on what he (Schneider) has shown us already.

I know I probably sound like a Luo hater but I am not. I am simply an avid Schneider fan and I truly believe this team will flourish and not at all backslide if he is the #1 goalie here. Luongo has helped this team along a great deal since he arrived but personally I think it is time to pass the torch.

/snip

Personally I just do not see Luo as an "elite", "impact" player anymore. He certainly was once upon a time but aside from 2007 and 2011 his stats have been middle of the pack during the regular season and worse than that during the playoffs. My point being is that there is no reason for anyone to think that Schneider couldn't at least match what Luongo is capable of now, and more likely exceed that based on what he (Schneider) has shown us already.

Archived