Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Insider Trading on Roberto Luongo

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
91 replies to this topic

#31 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:11 AM

I am excited to see what we can get in return for 1 of our goalies. I am a huge fan of both and will be sad to see one go.

Schneider seems solid in every way but lacks experience. While Lu is an impact keeper, brought home Gold in 2010 and almost followed it up with a cup.

I watch every game every year and believe me when i say we will greatly miss Luongo if he chooses to go. Have been really disappointed with the all the hate over the last couple of seasons.

If it were not for the emergence of Schneider then I would want to keep Lou around too as it seems no better goalies are going to be available next season. I am one of the group of people who if had to choose between the two goalies we have, would choose Schneider in a heartbeat over Luongo.
Luongo's best days clearly seem to be behind him, aside from the Jennings trophy(which Schneider had a hand in)Luongo has not won anything at the NHL level, unless you count the Jack Adams award that he won for Alain Vigneault in 2007. Nominations for Vezina trophies and "almost winning the Stanley Cup" on a Presidents Trophy winning team do not count for anything. I dont think the Gold medal counts as that was an international competion and he had Team Universe in front of him, also that was only a two week tournament as opposed to the two month marathon that the playoffs are.
Personally I just do not see Luo as an "elite", "impact" player anymore. He certainly was once upon a time but aside from 2007 and 2011 his stats have been middle of the pack during the regular season and worse than that during the playoffs. My point being is that there is no reason for anyone to think that Schneider couldn't at least match what Luongo is capable of now, and more likely exceed that based on what he (Schneider) has shown us already.
I know I probably sound like a Luo hater but I am not. I am simply an avid Schneider fan and I truly believe this team will flourish and not at all backslide if he is the #1 goalie here. Luongo has helped this team along a great deal since he arrived but personally I think it is time to pass the torch.

#32 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,039 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:02 AM

I hate GMMG for one thing.

And that's how he handles trades and FA signings.

He's so hush about it and misleads everyone that it just creates more problems.  Let people know what's going on once you've decided.  Till then, don't say a word.

I fail to see how MG has "misled" anyone on Lou's situation. He just stated that he hasn't shopped Luongo to any other team. (although he did admit that a couple had made inquiries)

In fact, he stated the same thing he did a while back, that nothing had been decided yet and that nothing would be decided until he had a chance to talk to Roberto again and see where his head is at, now that he's had some time to think things over.

All the misleading talk you hear is the result of sportswriters and analysts, desperate for something to comment on, specualting about what may or may not happen. This is par for the course when there is a question as to the status of someone considered a star player.

And despite what some negative nancies would have us believe, Luongo is still a star in this league.

Edited by RUPERTKBD, 01 June 2012 - 02:10 PM.

Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#33 B_a_M

B_a_M

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:17 AM

Nope, Lu needs to go. It's good for both parties, and why would we keep him for another season?? Just to have a winning regular season and go out in the first round again because of 8 goal Lu?? Yes he let in 8 goals when Schneider actually kept the team in the games. Face it people Lu is an overrated goalie. Plus I believe Gillis is just saying that to calm things down.

I agree with what you are saying but I have to disagree that Luongo is an overrated goaltender, he has had at least 30 wins the past 6 season. I just think Luongo needs a fresh start.

#34 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

Well, I can't see it working if he stays. That would be the start of the decline of the Canucks unfortunately I believe. Having two starters is stupid and a complete waste of assets and cap space.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#35 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

luongo is a good goalie overall
its just that he needs to learn not to go down to early or on the first shot
either he stops doing that
or gets back up really quickly!

Exactly how many games of NHL goal have you played? I see than you probably aren't the leading authority on how Luongo should play goal.
Posted Image

#36 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

Its certainly a possibility that Luongo will remain with the team but IMO I think its not probable. One has to think that the Luongo/Schneider situation is a distraction for the guys in the dressing room, a situation that should be rectified one way or the other. We have about a month to wait for draft, something should happen by then,.The clocks ticking !!

#37 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

I have always liked Luongo. If he is traded, I know we will get more in return than what we gave up to get him.
Posted Image

#38 sting

sting

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

If it were not for the emergence of Schneider then I would want to keep Lou around too as it seems no better goalies are going to be available next season. I am one of the group of people who if had to choose between the two goalies we have, would choose Schneider in a heartbeat over Luongo.
Luongo's best days clearly seem to be behind him, aside from the Jennings trophy(which Schneider had a hand in)Luongo has not won anything at the NHL level, unless you count the Jack Adams award that he won for Alain Vigneault in 2007. Nominations for Vezina trophies and "almost winning the Stanley Cup" on a Presidents Trophy winning team do not count for anything. I dont think the Gold medal counts as that was an international competion and he had Team Universe in front of him, also that was only a two week tournament as opposed to the two month marathon that the playoffs are.
Personally I just do not see Luo as an "elite", "impact" player anymore. He certainly was once upon a time but aside from 2007 and 2011 his stats have been middle of the pack during the regular season and worse than that during the playoffs. My point being is that there is no reason for anyone to think that Schneider couldn't at least match what Luongo is capable of now, and more likely exceed that based on what he (Schneider) has shown us already.
I know I probably sound like a Luo hater but I am not. I am simply an avid Schneider fan and I truly believe this team will flourish and not at all backslide if he is the #1 goalie here. Luongo has helped this team along a great deal since he arrived but personally I think it is time to pass the torch.

Agree regarding Schneider........but discarding Luongo's Gold medal and the fact he is still an impact player is dismissive. I challenge you to name 12-15 better goalies then Roberto and at 33 he should have 4-5 good years left.

Whatever decision Gillis makes will be ok.

#39 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,043 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

Well, I can't see it working if he stays. That would be the start of the decline of the Canucks unfortunately I believe. Having two starters is stupid and a complete waste of assets and cap space.

Agreed. In my heart I want them both to stay but that would be a complete mismanagement of assets. The Canucks would have way too much salary tied up in a position where only one person plays at a time while we could use that cap space on areas the team actually needs help in.
Posted Image

#40 JRem

JRem

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:43 AM

/snip

You said why we should keep him yourself in this sentence without realizing it. Luo is the ONLY ​goalie who is consistently in the top 5-15 in numbers EVERY FRIGGEN YEAR. Seriously. He is by far the most consistent goalie over a large sample of games who has played in the last 5 years.

Edited by JRem, 01 June 2012 - 11:44 AM.

#41 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

At the end of the day, if they keep both goalies instead of trading one of them to improve their forwards or defense, they better win the cup once in those years having 1a 1b. If they win the cup than there's nothing to complain about. It's just hard to support gillis Philosophy when you see how stacked the teams were that have won the cup last few years while playing one goalie. Hawks was a good example, they really stacked up their forwards and won the cup with a decent but not great goaltender, than next year unloaded alot players.

#42 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

I have always respected Roberto, just wished he was a bit more clutch in some critical moments.

But then I watched Fleury get plastered this year, completely fell apart. And noticed another cup winner, Niemi, in San Jose exposed for, in fact, being ordinary...

Whereas Louie is pretty steady, good for 33 to 40 wins every year. Yip, he would take the Leafs or Lightning back to the post season! Guaranteed value for the buyer!

#43 sirensong

sirensong

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

He's so hush about it and misleads everyone that it just creates more problems. Let people know what's going on once you've decided. Till then, don't say a word.

Ya because we saw how well things went for CBJ and Rick Nash when it became public he wanted out. Making things public is the WORST thing a GM and a team can do. Thats what creates problems turns things into a sideshow.

GMMG handles these things no different than 90% of GM's in the game and thats privately and the right way. If he gets traded believe me, you'll know real fast. Until then deal with it, this is pro sports rumours and spectulation are part of the deal.

#44 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

No decisions have been made yet. This is exactly what i expected. You can't listen to all these dumb speculations n such from people who don't have a clue (nick kypreos). The best way to not get frustrated or confused is to listen to the GM himself, i've listened to a lot of interviews with MG since the season ended and never have i felt inclined to believe Luongo was on his way out.

Just wait n see people.
Posted Image

#45 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,796 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

Luongo is more valueable to the Canucks than a low ball package. If he still wants out, he may have to be patient untill the "right" offer comes along, otherwise you roll with the best goalie tandem in the league, and look to UFA day.

I thought Gillis just established that players who don't want to be here are shown the door, as in Hodgson.

#46 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

It's called respecting peoples privacy.

These guys people just like you and me and deserve to have some peace of mind.

Ya but who pays for the players salaries? The fans, so the fans should have a right to know what's going on. If a company is buying supply from another company you don't think they want to know if that supply will be available again, or they will have to go somewhere to else to receive it. They have a right to know, just like the fans who pay the money to watch these players play, who end up paying these players salaries. When it comes to personal things, such as family or financial problems, they have a right to their personal privacy, but when it comes to their job and the fact that people pay to see these guys play. I'm sorry that is not personal that is business, and the people who are paying them have a right know, what is going on.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#47 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,039 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

Ya but who pays for the players salaries? The fans, so the fans should have a right to know what's going on. If a company is buying supply from another company you don't think they want to know if that supply will be available again, or they will have to go somewhere to else to receive it. They have a right to know, just like the fans who pay the money to watch these players play, who end up paying these players salaries. When it comes to personal things, such as family or financial problems, they have a right to their personal privacy, but when it comes to their job and the fact that people pay to see these guys play. I'm sorry that is not personal that is business, and the people who are paying them have a right know, what is going on.

Really? Is that what you think?

Do you actually believe that because you buy tickets to a game, you have the right to know the inner workings of the franchise?

When you go to KFC and buy the bucket deal, do you demand to know what the 11 different herbs and spices are?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#48 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

Isn't the horse dead yet?

Certainly... but tha's no reason to stop floggin it!!

#49 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

Really? Is that what you think?

Do you actually believe that because you buy tickets to a game, you have the right to know the inner workings of the franchise?

When you go to KFC and buy the bucket deal, do you demand to know what the 11 different herbs and spices are?

I demand to know how long the bucket deal is going to be around for, and guess what they let you know :frantic: , because you are a paying customer!

Just like the fans who pay the players salaries should have a right to know if the Luongo bucket will be around for a long time or if it's just a limited time offer.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup, 01 June 2012 - 04:16 PM.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#50 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,039 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

Certainly... but tha's no reason to stop floggin it!!

It was snorting bath salts, so now it's a zombie horse. We can flog it all we want, but we can't kill it (at least not until Woody Harrelson shows up)

#51 VMR

VMR

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

How many more ways can a Lou thread be started?
They are my team!
Go Canucks Go!

Posted Image
Thank you VC!!!!!

#52 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,159 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

Well they sometimes don't release it out so other teams don't know about it?

There are lots of reasons, sometimes as a tactic (as I eluded too), for player privacy (so they don't get bombared with reporter types asking them about it), aswell so the GM's don't get the same thing.

And we also pay for other peoples salaries, and for companies to become so successful.

no one goes to Apple or Blackberry or Sony or something and asks what there secret plans and ideas for new things are, what the difference between that and this?

And I also like the surprise, overall they deserve to have some peace of mind, players sign here and want to be apart of this team so i think it's better those situations are adressed behind closed doors before its spread out to the media and us.

zackass.png

#53 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

He's so hush about it and misleads everyone that it just creates more problems. Let people know what's going on once you've decided. Till then, don't say a word.

That would make him a terrible GM
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#54 Nuckswillwinitall

Nuckswillwinitall

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

Its funny how until Luongo is practically out the door all the supporters of Luongo show up. I would prefer Cory as my starter, he had the better stats, he played tough games, and played better in the playoffs. He is my guy. I like the idea of Luongo to The Leafs, let them get to the playoffs and fall on their face. He will be a hero for getting them to the playoffs and the Canucks get a piece that can help in their future the number 5 pick, prospect(Ashton) and a Roster player(want Gardiner or Franson). Mind you we would need to offer more to get Ashton in the deal, but I am sure it can get worked out

#55 NLluvitorleaveit

NLluvitorleaveit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:57 PM

Luongo...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#56 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,935 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:26 PM

I have always respected Roberto, just wished he was a bit more clutch in some critical moments.

But then I watched Fleury get plastered this year, completely fell apart. And noticed another cup winner, Niemi, in San Jose exposed for, in fact, being ordinary...

Whereas Louie is pretty steady, good for 33 to 40 wins every year. Yip, he would take the Leafs or Lightning back to the post season! Guaranteed value for the buyer!

The Leafs right now remind me of the 06-07 Canucks. A team needing a starting goalie badly. An offensive starved team that thought defense first. If the Leafs get Luongo then they'll definetly mirror the 06-07 Canucks.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#57 briana

briana

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:29 AM

Luongo wants out cause the fans in Vancouver want him out He doesn t want to play in a city where people keep criticizing him for every mistake he does.

I dont see the same hate for the Twins.. They haven t been able to score during playoffs either. They make very good money...but don t come thru when it really counts.

#58 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:46 AM

i'm sick of people saying that fans pay the players' salaries. francesco aquilini and his brothers pay the players salaries whether fans buy the tickets or not, and they make a lot more money from their other ventures than they do from owning the canucks. the people who buy the aquilini family's various real estate developments are paying the players' salaries.

#59 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:49 AM

Luongo wants out cause the fans in Vancouver want him out He doesn t want to play in a city where people keep criticizing him for every mistake he does.

I dont see the same hate for the Twins.. They haven t been able to score during playoffs either. They make very good money...but don t come thru when it really counts.

henrik sedin has 51 points in his last 52 playoff games. daniel has 46 in his last 49.

Edited by tas, 02 June 2012 - 06:49 AM.

#60 Ktakatch

Ktakatch

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:57 AM

Oh Im sorry. I guess MG should know that you want to know everything and you deserve to.. NOT you're a fan, nobody important so take what you're told and be happy with that

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.