The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Ever-Elusive 2nd Line Playmaker

Hello everyone!

It is well known in Canucks Nation that quite a few things that need to be done this off-season, Deal with the goaltending situation, get a top 4 Dman, preferably one to Play with Edler, and then there is the often overlooked, round out our top-6 forwards...

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-???

Some people are dissatisfied with the performance of David Booth, but I am not one of those people, getting a pretty dramatic trade, and that brutal clip put some bumps in his road this season, but I think that he, along with Kesler provide a good core for our 2nd line, And I think he could be performing at a 30 goal level next year.

The question now is... Who rounds out our top six? In my opinion we need a good playmaker. The Amex line looked pretty good at times last year, but I think Higgins is better suited for a 3rd line role on this team... His Defensive capabilities, along with Hansen really give us a good checking line.

There are a few options, when one looks at the free-agent market, the one that pops out is undoubtedly Ray Whitney. 1,000 point assist Guru, and although he is experienced, one must ask how much more he has in the tank...

So, what do you guys think, are there any other people either in the UFA market, or that we could acquire via trade that you think could really get our top 2 lines set in stone? Do you agree with me that we should be looking at a playmaker?

Happy Posting,

JGM

The REAL reason our second line always fails year end year out is because of Kesler. Some people don't know he is the actual problem. Yes he's a hardworking gritty player but it's hard to form chemistry with this player. If next season is a another 2nd line failure possibly we need to look into trading him for a good return.

The REAL reason our second line always fails year end year out is because of Kesler. Some people don't know he is the actual problem. Yes he's a hardworking gritty player but it's hard to form chemistry with this player. If next season is a another 2nd line failure possibly we need to look into trading him for a good return.

In addition to the 2nd line playmaker, we need a franchise sniper too, to work with the sedins or to get the goals on the 2nd line.

If kesler cannot snipe and cannot be the elite playmaker, then he is really just the 3rd forward on the 2nd line, putting up points, can play defense, can forecheck - but no specialty. Booth being the cheapman's sniper, isn't gonna cut it imo and with no playmaker it's a wonder we've got 2 "3rd forwards" on our 2nd line who are good enough to be there, but isn't really super good at anything specifically needed by the 2nd line.

I think Teddy Purcell would look real good on that 2nd line, he is a playmaker and playing with Booth and Kesler would benefit the two of them as they are shoot first guys. If we could get the wizard, Whitney, then I am all for it, even though he is aging, look at his stats, the guy can play, not only that, he is clutch. One or the other.

Hello everyone!

It is well known in Canucks Nation that quite a few things that need to be done this off-season, Deal with the goaltending situation, get a top 4 Dman, preferably one to Play with Edler, and then there is the often overlooked, round out our top-6 forwards...

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-???

Some people are dissatisfied with the performance of David Booth, but I am not one of those people, getting a pretty dramatic trade, and that brutal clip put some bumps in his road this season, but I think that he, along with Kesler provide a good core for our 2nd line, And I think he could be performing at a 30 goal level next year.

The question now is... Who rounds out our top six? In my opinion we need a good playmaker. The Amex line looked pretty good at times last year, but I think Higgins is better suited for a 3rd line role on this team... His Defensive capabilities, along with Hansen really give us a good checking line.

There are a few options, when one looks at the free-agent market, the one that pops out is undoubtedly Ray Whitney. 1,000 point assist Guru, and although he is experienced, one must ask how much more he has in the tank...

So, what do you guys think, are there any other people either in the UFA market, or that we could acquire via trade that you think could really get our top 2 lines set in stone? Do you agree with me that we should be looking at a playmaker?

Happy Posting,

JGM

I think Whitney would be a great addition for next season. Not only can he provide the missing link for the second line, he can fill in multiple roles. he would shore up the 2nd line and would not require a lengthy contract as he is getting old and likely to retire at some point in the next 2-3 years (though he only looks to be in his 30's, maybe he'll never retire). This allows a player like Jensen to grow and learn without the pressure of performing at NHL level so as not to burn out.

If the Canucks are looking for a more "permanent" option, if they feel Jensen or Kassian are not top 6 material, then a player like Parenteau would fit well. He is a good creative player that can create chances all over the ice. He is small but very fast and has great hands. The thing that worries me about Parenteau is that he is 27 or 28 and only has 2 season under his belt. Only 1 of those seasons did he really excel. He looked good but I would be cautious about a big contract with him as he could very well turn into another Ville Leino.

David Jones would be a bad fit in my opinion. He is gritty but is another shoot first player.

I would be curious to see a good 2nd line center be signed or traded for and then toy with Kesler playing the wing with the Sedins during 5 on 5 to see what happens. Not saying it would work but im interested in the possibility.

Archived