The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Ever-Elusive 2nd Line Playmaker

Kesler will not be playing on the wing. Its not that he couldnt... Its just not going to happen, so why bother mentioning it any more.

I agree with the comment that Jagr would be a sick compliment for the Sedins. But honestly Id rather bring in someone that can dish the puck to a streaking Kesler or Booth. Another defensman with this ability is needed aswell. Interesting that Keslers PP production dropped off so much after Ehrhoffs departure. Seems like they had a solid screen, shoot, deflect, rebound relationship off the RW side. A D-man with an accurate shot is needed on the right side again. Edlers is alright, but is far from accurate.

Why does every one want FA's? We have way to many already! If MG can poach a top FA like Parise then sure but he keeps going after guys who can contibute only maginally. If any changes come on this team it will come by way of trade. I don't see NJ giving up on Parise, he is a franchise player!

Raymond and Luo have to go for sure, I think the bubble players are Bieksa, Ballard, Kesler, and mabey Edler (man I hope not).

The young guys that we have in the system that are looking like they have a shot are Schroeder, Kassian, Sweat, Connauton, Sauvet, Lack, and Corrado. I believe that our future success rest on some of these young guys, because lets face it the FA's that are available are mostly in their early to mid 30's

and are close to the end, If you look the Blackhawks, Edmonton, FLA, Pitsburgh, STL, NSH, they have all really started to put their most promising young guys into their line up Why haven't we?

My fear is that MG continues to sign guys that are marginal players and ignores our young talen and we end up like the Flames, They are screwed unless they start to draft better and use their young guys!

Bodee, I'm starting to wonder if you're Raymond's dad.

Raymond has go to go dude. Seriously

Most teams can't afford to have a top 6 player float for 2 years.

I honestly don't get why AV waited so long to scratched him.

***********************************************************************************

My contribution to the thread...

Bring in Jagr to play with the sedins. The keep away game these 3 could play would be crazy to watch.

Parenteau on RWing for Kesler and Burrows. This would be a tough line to contain.

Hudler to play on the 3rd line with Higgins and Hansen. Best 3rd line in the league for sure.

If the team needed a serious shut down line, exchange Kesler & Burrows with Hudler and Higgins.

2 great interchangable lines. Imagine the PP with the 1st and 2nd lines.

Laperriere to play with Lapierre - just to piss off the play by play guys.

Why not just change the way the players play?

Kesler is only a couple of seasons removed from a 50-assist season. This guy knows how to pass, he's just gotten away from that type of game lately.

True professionals change the way their play to suit the team, and with 2 great powerforwards in Booth and Higgins who are born goal scorers and know no other game, Kesler should adjust to become the playmaker. He knows he can be that sort of player, so stop being so bloody selfish Kesler, practice your passing a bit more, take notes from the Sedins and our 2nd line will be as dangerous as our first.

People don’t think that David Booth is good, or they do think he’s good, and didn’t have a good year. These people are wrong.

Here is a list of forwards who got more time-on-ice per game and scored at a lower rate than Booth. There are 111 players on this list:

Martin St. Louis

Dany Heatley

Ryan Getzlaf

Patrick Kane

Blake Wheeler

Eric Staal

Mike Ribeiro

Joe Thornton

Bryan Little

Ryan O’Reilly

Paul Stastny

PA Parenteau

Brad Richards

Mikko Koivu

Stephen Weiss

Kris Versteeg

David Backes

Ryane Clowe

Ales Hemsky

Anze Kopitar

Shane Doan

Ryan Callahan

Vincent Lecavalier

Tyler Bozak

Mikhail Grabovski

Taylor Hall

Gabriel Landeskog

Jeff Carter

Olli Jokinen

Loui Eriksson

TJ Oshie

Martin Erat

Pavel Datsyuk

Dainius Zubrus

Ville Leino

Dustin Brown

Henrik Sedin

David Legwand

Kyle Turris

Adam Henrique

Ray Whitney

Sam Gagner

Vinny Prospal

Kyle Brodziak

Derek Roy

Devin Setoguchi

Milan Hejduk

Daniel Alfredsson

Carl Hagelin

Brandon Sutter

Steve Ott

Ryan Smyth

Patrik Elias

David Desharnais

Teemu Selanne

Ryan Malone

Justin Williams

Saku Koivu

Marcel Goc

Drew Stafford

Derek Stepan

Ryan Kesler

Alex Tanguay

Nick Johnson

Sergei Kostitsyn

Steve Downie

Brendan Morrow

Patrice Bergeron

Daniel Winnik

Matt Cullen

Shawn Horcoff

Colin Greening

Tuomo Ruutu

Todd Bertuzzi

Tomas Plekanec

Martin Hanzal

Marcus Johansson

Colin Wilson

RJ Umberger

Lauri Korpikoski

Nick Spaling

Daniel Briere

Brooks Laich

Matt Duchene

Chris Stewart

Blake Comeau

Troy Brouwer

Andrei Kostitsyn

Alex Burmistrov

Sean Bergenheim

Edward Purcell

Antoine Vermette

Nathan Gerbe

Rene Bourque

Mike Richards

Mikael Samuelsson

Thomas Vanek

Travis Moen

Jussi Jokinen

Mikael Backlund

Tim Connolly

Alexei Ponikarovsky

David Jones

Nikolai Kulemin

Brandon Dubinsky

Jiri Tlusty

Mason Raymond

Nick Foligno

Jordin Tootoo

Patrick Dwyer

Daymond Langkow

There are several players on this list who do other things good too, it’s worth noting, but so does Booth. He had an excellent scoring chance differential and underlying numbers. His defensive game and play-driving ability is top-tier in the NHL.

People seem to be expecting 1st line numbers out of our 2nd line, but in comparison to the rest of the league, our 2nd line is well above average.

I love this first move, but will T.O. move two D in a trade? Will St Louis move that much talent for an expiring contract?

Hey, its CDC, so fun to speculate and it does look like a better team. I like Berglund, and boy it would be great to add another young, BIG, athletic center.

A different but very viable move is just sign Arnott in the off season as UFA. Not young, but... :bigblush:

Let me put your mind at rest.............Raymond is unknown to me. I just happen to have the strong Scots trait of sticking up for the underdog. I find that easy to do with Raymond because I genuinely think he is a top 6 player and on his day a damn good one. Look back at his videos on youtube if you doubt it. A guy just doesn't lose talent like that unless he is badly injured ..........which he was.....and now I want to see him come back from it and back to his best form.

People don’t think that David Booth is good, or they do think he’s good, and didn’t have a good year. These people are wrong.

Here is a list of forwards who got more time-on-ice per game and scored at a lower rate than Booth. There are 111 players on this list:

Martin St. Louis

Dany Heatley

Ryan Getzlaf

Patrick Kane

Blake Wheeler

Eric Staal

Mike Ribeiro

Joe Thornton

Bryan Little

Ryan O’Reilly

Paul Stastny

PA Parenteau

Brad Richards

Mikko Koivu

Stephen Weiss

Kris Versteeg

David Backes

Ryane Clowe

Ales Hemsky

Anze Kopitar

Shane Doan

Ryan Callahan

Vincent Lecavalier

Tyler Bozak

Mikhail Grabovski

Taylor Hall

Gabriel Landeskog

Jeff Carter

Olli Jokinen

Loui Eriksson

TJ Oshie

Martin Erat

Pavel Datsyuk

Dainius Zubrus

Ville Leino

Dustin Brown

Henrik Sedin

David Legwand

Kyle Turris

Adam Henrique

Ray Whitney

Sam Gagner

Vinny Prospal

Kyle Brodziak

Derek Roy

Devin Setoguchi

Milan Hejduk

Daniel Alfredsson

Carl Hagelin

Brandon Sutter

Steve Ott

Ryan Smyth

Patrik Elias

David Desharnais

Teemu Selanne

Ryan Malone

Justin Williams

Saku Koivu

Marcel Goc

Drew Stafford

Derek Stepan

Ryan Kesler

Alex Tanguay

Nick Johnson

Sergei Kostitsyn

Steve Downie

Brendan Morrow

Patrice Bergeron

Daniel Winnik

Matt Cullen

Shawn Horcoff

Colin Greening

Tuomo Ruutu

Todd Bertuzzi

Tomas Plekanec

Martin Hanzal

Marcus Johansson

Colin Wilson

RJ Umberger

Lauri Korpikoski

Nick Spaling

Daniel Briere

Brooks Laich

Matt Duchene

Chris Stewart

Blake Comeau

Troy Brouwer

Andrei Kostitsyn

Alex Burmistrov

Sean Bergenheim

Edward Purcell

Antoine Vermette

Nathan Gerbe

Rene Bourque

Mike Richards

Mikael Samuelsson

Thomas Vanek

Travis Moen

Jussi Jokinen

Mikael Backlund

Tim Connolly

Alexei Ponikarovsky

David Jones

Nikolai Kulemin

Brandon Dubinsky

Jiri Tlusty

Mason Raymond

Nick Foligno

Jordin Tootoo

Patrick Dwyer

Daymond Langkow

There are several players on this list who do other things good too, it’s worth noting, but so does Booth. He had an excellent scoring chance differential and underlying numbers. His defensive game and play-driving ability is top-tier in the NHL.

People seem to be expecting 1st line numbers out of our 2nd line, but in comparison to the rest of the league, our 2nd line is well above average.

if only we could somehow get both Clowe and Weiss..

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler/Clowe

Clowe/Kesler-Weiss-Booth

Burrows-Higgins-Hansen (if Higgins can still play centre)

Moen-Lapierre-Kassian

we basically have our 1st line and Florida's old first line (Clowe replacing Horton) an amazing hard working 3rd line and a rigid and tough 4th.

what will it take to get them?

I'm not "hoping" for anyone. Tell me how far Montreal has gotten with Plekanec and a team filled with similar soft perimeter players? (27th overall if you wanted that answered).

We need to head in the opposite direction, and maybe getting that play maker through moving Kesler.

Either way, it's guys like Clowe, Clarkson, Brown, Callahan that will win you a cup.

Archived