The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Ever-Elusive 2nd Line Playmaker

The REAL reason our second line always fails year end year out is because of Kesler. Some people don't know he is the actual problem. Yes he's a hardworking gritty player but it's hard to form chemistry with this player. If next season is a another 2nd line failure possibly we need to look into trading him for a good return.

Evander Kane for Booth+ and play a Kane - Kesler - Raymond line.

There is no doubt in my mind that a fit Raymond would revitalise Kesler........you only have to look back at some of the videos and watch how they played together.

If Raymond can't get fit and back in form THEN try Jensen.

If we did keep Booth I would play him with the Sedins and see if he worked out with the best players on our team, drop Raymond to third and put Higgins with Kesler and Burrows.

In addition to the 2nd line playmaker, we need a franchise sniper too, to work with the sedins or to get the goals on the 2nd line.

If kesler cannot snipe and cannot be the elite playmaker, then he is really just the 3rd forward on the 2nd line, putting up points, can play defense, can forecheck - but no specialty. Booth being the cheapman's sniper, isn't gonna cut it imo and with no playmaker it's a wonder we've got 2 "3rd forwards" on our 2nd line who are good enough to be there, but isn't really super good at anything specifically needed by the 2nd line.

Higgins is a pretty decent playmaker. He really made that line tick.

AV was doing some weird things at the end of the year. With everything on the line you don't put together your top line Sedin, Sedin, Burrows? You don't come back with the ONLY 2nd line that worked all year? The Amex?

Higgins was one of our best players all year, so of course he should be relegated to 3rd line checking winger, never mind he's one of the only players on our team other than the Sedins that can work the give and go.

I'm of the opinion that Higgins is the reason the Amex line worked. Because he passed the puck.

Kesler is a better playmaker than he showed this year and hopefully he'll be able to heal and be effective next season.

But yeah, just as important as getting that shooter we need is getting that passer.

I keep waiting for Whitney to drop off, but every year, there he is. Why count him out now?

Why is everyone around here so high on the Amex line? It seems like virtually every thread I read, someone is suggesting that they were doing well together and were inexplicably split up.

I'm sorry, but that's not the way I saw it. What I saw from that line was sporadic success at best.

The other thing to bear in mind was Higgins' effectiveness playing on the third line. I completely understand the coaches being reluctant to break up what was working very effectively down the stretch, in the hope that doing so would rekindle something on the second line that was never much more than a spark to begin with, IMO....

A healthy Kesler had everyone on CDC raving about what a beast he was but now that he has had to deal with injuries, CDC has turned on him like a pack of wolves.

Cmon CDC, Kesler is the type of player that you need to win a Cup.

It is not Keslers fault that he is teamed up with Booth who is also a shoot first guy. Booth was moved up with the Sedins and didn't exactly light it up out there so you can't blame Kes for the problems on the 2nd line.

Maybe the answer is to put Kesler up with the Sedins and get a playmaker to match up with Booth?

Why is everyone around here so high on the Amex line? It seems like virtually every thread I read, someone is suggesting that they were doing well together and were inexplicably split up.

I'm sorry, but that's not the way I saw it. What I saw from that line was sporadic success at best.

The other thing to bear in mind was Higgins' effectiveness playing on the third line. I completely understand the coaches being reluctant to break up what was working very effectively down the stretch, in the hope that doing so would rekindle something on the second line that was never much more than a spark to begin with, IMO....

I think Whitney would be a great addition for next season. Not only can he provide the missing link for the second line, he can fill in multiple roles. he would shore up the 2nd line and would not require a lengthy contract as he is getting old and likely to retire at some point in the next 2-3 years (though he only looks to be in his 30's, maybe he'll never retire). This allows a player like Jensen to grow and learn without the pressure of performing at NHL level so as not to burn out.

If the Canucks are looking for a more "permanent" option, if they feel Jensen or Kassian are not top 6 material, then a player like Parenteau would fit well. He is a good creative player that can create chances all over the ice. He is small but very fast and has great hands. The thing that worries me about Parenteau is that he is 27 or 28 and only has 2 season under his belt. Only 1 of those seasons did he really excel. He looked good but I would be cautious about a big contract with him as he could very well turn into another Ville Leino.

David Jones would be a bad fit in my opinion. He is gritty but is another shoot first player.

I would be curious to see a good 2nd line center be signed or traded for and then toy with Kesler playing the wing with the Sedins during 5 on 5 to see what happens. Not saying it would work but im interested in the possibility.

This was my thought. Parenteau isn't quite as big as I'd like, but he had 49 assists last season and even though some of that can be attributed to JT, he still had to get the puck to him.

The other plus is that he had a very modest Cap hit of just over a million per. Certainly that will go up for a pending UFA, but I think Mason Raymond money could get it done, especially if PAP wants to play for a contender for a change....

Evander Kane for Booth+ and play a Kane - Kesler - Raymond line.

There is no doubt in my mind that a fit Raymond would revitalise Kesler........you only have to look back at some of the videos and watch how they played together.

If Raymond can't get fit and back in form THEN try Jensen.

If we did keep Booth I would play him with the Sedins and see if he worked out with the best players on our team, drop Raymond to third and put Higgins with Kesler and Burrows.

A healthy Kesler had everyone on CDC raving about what a beast he was but now that he has had to deal with injuries, CDC has turned on him like a pack of wolves.

Cmon CDC, Kesler is the type of player that you need to win a Cup.

It is not Keslers fault that he is teamed up with Booth who is also a shoot first guy. Booth was moved up with the Sedins and didn't exactly light it up out there so you can't blame Kes for the problems on the 2nd line.

Maybe the answer is to put Kesler up with the Sedins and get a playmaker to match up with Booth?

The REAL reason our second line always fails year end year out is because of Kesler. Some people don't know he is the actual problem. Yes he's a hardworking gritty player but it's hard to form chemistry with this player. If next season is a another 2nd line failure possibly we need to look into trading him for a good return.

Archived