Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

The Ever-Elusive 2nd Line Playmaker

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
96 replies to this topic

#91 theo5789

theo5789

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

I love this first move, but will T.O. move two D in a trade? Will St Louis move that much talent for an expiring contract?

Hey, its CDC, so fun to speculate and it does look like a better team. I like Berglund, and boy it would be great to add another young, BIG, athletic center.

A different but very viable move is just sign Arnott in the off season as UFA. Not young, but... :bigblush:

If it is true that Schultz will sign with them and with the depth they have there, they could potentially move two, especially if it meant getting a goalie that will make the D look even better.

I guess you're right about the expiring contract portion, so maybe it could be a sign and trade type move.
VanWhitecapsFC YouTube Page

Also mycanucksdotca on YouTube

#92 Beluga Whale

Beluga Whale

Trust me I'm a whale

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:52 PM

There is potentially a lot of second line play makers available to us this summer. Huselius, Purcell, Brassard, and maybe MacArthur.

Edited by Zack Kassian, 02 June 2012 - 08:56 PM.

bluuuuga.png

#93 CoreyPerry

CoreyPerry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:29 PM

id rather get that never had in our organization true number one dman
Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to CanucksBen for Kassian sig

#94 van_ws

van_ws

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

Let me put your mind at rest.............Raymond is unknown to me. I just happen to have the strong Scots trait of sticking up for the underdog. I find that easy to do with Raymond because I genuinely think he is a top 6 player and on his day a damn good one. Look back at his videos on youtube if you doubt it. A guy just doesn't lose talent like that unless he is badly injured ..........which he was.....and now I want to see him come back from it and back to his best form.

Raymond a top six player? Dude, what the hell are you smoking haha

He needs to be moved, plain and simple. To be fair, he is a big liability out there for the team.

#95 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

People don’t think that David Booth is good, or they do think he’s good, and didn’t have a good year. These people are wrong.

Here is a list of forwards who got more time-on-ice per game and scored at a lower rate than Booth. There are 111 players on this list:

Martin St. Louis
Dany Heatley
Ryan Getzlaf
Patrick Kane
Blake Wheeler
Eric Staal
Mike Ribeiro
Joe Thornton
Bryan Little
Ryan O’Reilly
Paul Stastny
PA Parenteau
Brad Richards
Mikko Koivu
Stephen Weiss
Kris Versteeg
David Backes
Ryane Clowe
Ales Hemsky
Anze Kopitar
Shane Doan
Ryan Callahan
Vincent Lecavalier
Tyler Bozak
Mikhail Grabovski
Taylor Hall
Gabriel Landeskog
Jeff Carter
Olli Jokinen
Loui Eriksson
TJ Oshie
Martin Erat
Pavel Datsyuk
Dainius Zubrus
Ville Leino
Dustin Brown
Henrik Sedin
David Legwand
Kyle Turris
Adam Henrique
Ray Whitney
Sam Gagner
Vinny Prospal
Kyle Brodziak
Derek Roy
Devin Setoguchi
Milan Hejduk
Daniel Alfredsson
Carl Hagelin
Brandon Sutter
Steve Ott
Ryan Smyth
Patrik Elias
David Desharnais
Teemu Selanne
Ryan Malone
Justin Williams
Saku Koivu
Marcel Goc
Drew Stafford
Derek Stepan
Ryan Kesler
Alex Tanguay
Nick Johnson
Sergei Kostitsyn
Steve Downie
Brendan Morrow
Patrice Bergeron
Daniel Winnik
Matt Cullen
Shawn Horcoff
Colin Greening
Tuomo Ruutu
Todd Bertuzzi
Tomas Plekanec
Martin Hanzal
Marcus Johansson
Colin Wilson
RJ Umberger
Lauri Korpikoski
Nick Spaling
Daniel Briere
Brooks Laich
Matt Duchene
Chris Stewart
Blake Comeau
Troy Brouwer
Andrei Kostitsyn
Alex Burmistrov
Sean Bergenheim
Edward Purcell
Antoine Vermette
Nathan Gerbe
Rene Bourque
Mike Richards
Mikael Samuelsson
Thomas Vanek
Travis Moen
Jussi Jokinen
Mikael Backlund
Tim Connolly
Alexei Ponikarovsky
David Jones
Nikolai Kulemin
Brandon Dubinsky
Jiri Tlusty
Mason Raymond
Nick Foligno
Jordin Tootoo
Patrick Dwyer
Daymond Langkow

There are several players on this list who do other things good too, it’s worth noting, but so does Booth. He had an excellent scoring chance differential and underlying numbers. His defensive game and play-driving ability is top-tier in the NHL.

People seem to be expecting 1st line numbers out of our 2nd line, but in comparison to the rest of the league, our 2nd line is well above average.

Seriously, hockey is a team game and if you score goals AND play in your team mates you are a hell of a lot more important to the team. So your list, while it may be factual, takes no account of these other facets of the game...........I mean, would you seriously take Booth over Bertuzzi, Purcell, Kostitsyn, Foligno, Richards...........or even a fit Raymond? (By the way there were another 70+ of these names I could have added but I got bored)
Kevin.jpg

#96 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,487 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

if only we could somehow get both Clowe and Weiss..

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler/Clowe
Clowe/Kesler-Weiss-Booth
Burrows-Higgins-Hansen (if Higgins can still play centre)
Moen-Lapierre-Kassian

we basically have our 1st line and Florida's old first line (Clowe replacing Horton) an amazing hard working 3rd line and a rigid and tough 4th.

what will it take to get them?
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#97 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

I'm not "hoping" for anyone. Tell me how far Montreal has gotten with Plekanec and a team filled with similar soft perimeter players? (27th overall if you wanted that answered).

We need to head in the opposite direction, and maybe getting that play maker through moving Kesler.

Either way, it's guys like Clowe, Clarkson, Brown, Callahan that will win you a cup.

:sick: Get stuffed, you want to move in the direction of being a more capable physical team, by moving our most physically capable forward for a play maker?

:picard: :sadno:

Dont you even see a conflict in your own suggestion?

Bag Kesler all you want.Do we need another play maker, sure or maybe play Danny/Kess/Burr. If anything we need more guys like Kesler who can play, preferably bigger, but we cannot afford to loose him with our current roster!

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 03 June 2012 - 04:17 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.