Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Canucks’ Alexandre Grenier signs deal in Austria

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Shensmobile

Shensmobile

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:32 AM

http://www.theprovin...0946/story.html

Alexandre Grenier, the Canucks’ third-round pick (90th overall) in last year’s NHL entry draft, has signed a one-year contract to play next season in Austria’s top professional league.
The Canucks, who made Grenier a contract offer to retain his rights for another year, are onside with the move and see it as a better option for the 20-year-old right winger.

Grenier will play for high-­profile EC Red Bull Salzburg, who are coached by former NHL coach and GM Pierre Page.

“He had an opportunity to go to Europe and play against men and to play for a really good hockey man in Pierre Page,” said Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman on Thursday. “We supported that wholeheartedly and we’ll continue to track him there.”

Gilman said playing for Salzburg is a better fit for Grenier than the East Coast Hockey, where he would begin his professional career if he stayed in North America.

Grenier, a big (6-foot-5, 200 pounds) player with good offensive skills who is a classic late-bloomer, had a solid first full season of major junior with Halifax Mooseheads. He collected 25 goals 64 points in 64 games in the regular season and four goals and 16 points in 17 playoff games.

But just as Grenier showed soft hands and an affinity for the power play, he also needs work on playing in traffic and cutting down on turnovers.

“He’s a late-bloomer, an intriguing prospect, that’s why we drafted him in the third round,” said Gilman. “If things go well this year, we would look at signing him next year.”

With Friday being the deadline for signing players drafted in 2010, the Canucks opted not to offer contracts to goaltender Jonathan Iilahti (175th overall) and defenceman Sawyer Hannay (205th overall), and will no longer own their rights.

Interesting. Would be a great chance for him to play with the big boys... albeit in Europe.

#2 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,149 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:34 AM

Would be good for his development. When is he eligible to play in the AHL?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#3 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

My body is ready.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,442 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:11 AM

Based on his size, and his (albeit very limited) offensive skill, I could see him becoming a 4th line player one day, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Posted Image

#4 timmylu1

timmylu1

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:42 AM

meh

#5 tjkaemingh

tjkaemingh

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

Whatever. We have so much depth. He probably would have started in the ECHL. If he really turns out well in a year, he can play Chicago Wolves for a year or two before the Canucks get serious about it.

Hannay and lilahti must be junk/toast then? Canucks gave up on them? not worth it? I do not know too much about those two....

#6 Walking Paradox

Walking Paradox

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:27 AM

Would be good for his development. When is he eligible to play in the AHL?

I think the minimum age is 20 years.

#7 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

Other leagues are stealing our prospects first Jensen now Grenier

Edited by Cody Hodgson 9, 04 June 2012 - 07:18 AM.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#8 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,860 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:17 AM

Lockout. Look for more and more players to sign overseas for a year as we approach it. Cheers.

TOML

comeundone.gif

#9 SpennyCanuck

SpennyCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

Other keagues are stealing our prosoects first Jensen now Grenier

Just because Jensen was drafted by a KHL team doesnt mean that he is going to sign there. Like 100 other threads CDC'rs have posted, people like taylor hall, segin and Nugent hopkins have all been drafted to KHL teams, but there is no chance they are going.

I wouldnt be to worried about it, im pretty sure Jensen will give the NHL a very good chance before he will look at other opportunities.

As far as Grenier, its to bad he didnt give the AHL a chance before going to Europe, but im sure he will do fine over there.

#10 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,063 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

Don't care too much about Grenier, more disappointed with the Iilahti decision.

Edited by A1 CANUCK, 01 June 2012 - 09:21 AM.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML medium.png - RGMG medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#11 ballsdeepfreeze

ballsdeepfreeze

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

What happened with Iilhati?
Posted Image

#12 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,063 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

I believe we no longer own his rights.

#13 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,281 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

6'5" is something you can't teach, hopefully he'll pick up some offensive flair in his time in the European league watching the smart passers over there making pretty plays, get bigger, then come to the ECHL and maybe AHL where he can polish off his checking and physical game.
Posted Image

#14 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

I think the minimum age is 20 years.

It's 18.

Posted Image

#15 realnucksfan2010

realnucksfan2010

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

This kid is a solid player, with good up side, not to mention his size! Good move to put him in a good league with better players. He has a great work ethic to, I have no doubts we will see him soon.

#16 canucklesmith

canucklesmith

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

With Cannata, Honzig and Lack our goaltending depth is very good. Cannata is going to be the next Schneider.

#17 sirensong

sirensong

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

It's 18.

Only if you dont play Junior or once your junior season has ended. For the majority of players its basically 20, tho you are right that 18 year olds can play depending on circumstance.

Grenier is AHL eligible, but hes not going to crack a deep wolves roster and the ECHL won't push a player like him enough, this is the best decision to have him develop playing against men.

He's a 6'5" 200lbs winger who can skate like the wind and has soft hands. There's alot of untapped potential that may well never be reached but there a chance he's a 20g 20a kind of guy at the NHL level a few years down the road. There's also a chance he turns out alot like Brad Isbister.

Like it says in the article for him to be a NHL caliber player he needs to use his size more effectively and play more in the dirty areas. With his skill set if he can become an effective net front presence and use his size to win puck battles and get to the net he could be alot like David Booth but at 6'5"

Edited by sirensong, 01 June 2012 - 02:28 PM.

#18 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

My body is ready.

• Members
  • 6,442 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

Whatever. We have so much depth. He probably would have started in the ECHL. If he really turns out well in a year, he can play Chicago Wolves for a year or two before the Canucks get serious about it.

Hannay and lilahti must be junk/toast then? Canucks gave up on them? not worth it? I do not know too much about those two....

Iilahti is alright, but our other goaltending prospects are better, so he would never really be of any value to us.
Hannay is a plug. He had 2 points in 47 games this year, followed by 0 in 20 playoff games.
Posted Image

#19 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,063 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

With Cannata, Honzig and Lack our goaltending depth is very good. Cannata is going to be the next Schneider.

I actually prefer Iilahti over Hoznik but that is just my opinion. Cannata sure could be something special if we don't rush him (into a starters role in the A). It's good to see us opening up contracts, expecting a busy summer.

#20 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,184 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

Not re signed, he's now UFA

#21 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

Based on his size, and his (albeit very limited) offensive skill, I could see him becoming a 4th line player one day, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

You don't know much about our prospects do you? Grenier's potential is all about his speed and skill, he is sub-par defensively but his size and speed make up for it by making him a threat on the breakout and in the offensive zone because he can blast through opponents and protect the puck very well. If he makes the team, he won't be a 4th line crash and banger, he'd be a 3rd liner or low-end 2nd liner, and that's a big if.

edit: forgot to mention that we sent him to Austria to play for the best team he could in their league while circumventing the contract cap so we don't have to sign him until 2013

Edited by Hansen 36, 01 June 2012 - 08:22 PM.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#22 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

Hannay actually looked solid defensively.

But Grenier I think we'll need to keep an eye on. I liked his play/
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.