93 replies to this topic

#31 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,777 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

Can Boston put him on waivers if he refuses to play next season? And then if so, assuming he won't get picked up by anyone, if he refuses to report to the B's AHL affiliate would that mean he could be suspended by the team and the Bruins wouldn't have his contract count against the cap?

It seems like a weird scenario that retired players would still count against the cap. Anyone know the purpose/intent of this rule?

Over 35 contract, no way to get it off the books even by suspension. I think it is even called the "Mogilny Rule"

The intent is to stop teams from signing old guys to lengthy contracts they have no intention of ever fulfilling. It would be too easy to circumvent the cap by signing a guy like Thomas at 37 years old to a 10 year deal that is front-loaded just to lower the cap hit.

I do think that this rule needs some tweaking though... maybe allow 2 year contracts for some stability.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#32 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

you guys remember that overrated player thread and what the definition of it is ?

this
Posted Image

#33 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

Nah. I think we ought to speculate. That's more fun than waiting . . . or worse, making smug, sanctimonious comments.

Making smug, sanctimonious comments is actually pretty fun.

#34 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

POPULAR

Michael Grabner via Twitter:

"Maybe I will ask my dad if he takes the year off and comes visits me next year-oh wait that doesn't fly in the real world haha#someday"

Classic.

Edited by Jagermeister, 01 June 2012 - 03:05 PM.

Posted Image

#35 C.Jung

C.Jung

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

Making smug, sanctimonious comments is actually pretty fun.

I'm actually going to agree with this, not that I even do it.

#36 C.Jung

C.Jung

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

Michael Grabner via Twitter:

"Maybe I will ask my dad if he takes the year off and comes visits me next year-oh wait that doesn't fly in the real world haha#someday"

Classic.

Sabbatical?

#37 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

Seems a bit weird to take a year off, but with saying that Neidermayer at one point took half a season off (although he was contemplating on retirement). Could be a similar situation or personal issues. Who knows, but it seems a bit of a risk if he wants to remain the top goaltender for the Bruins when/if he returns as Rask could play very well and win the no. 1 spot next year.

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#38 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68,217 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

Chiarelli acknowledges if Thomas takes a year off, he'll have to suspend the goalie to remove his cap hit. http://tinyurl.com/85uxqoh

307mg00.jpg

#39 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

I'm actually going to agree with this, not that I even do it.

Then how do you know it's fun?

#40 C.Jung

C.Jung

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

Then how do you know it's fun?

My friends tell me it is. :mellow:

#41 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

I wonder how different the reaction would be here if it were one of the Sedins or Burrows taking a year off and citing family as the reason.

I know, I'm asking way too much from CDC.

Hes already shown a propensity to be selfish and do stupid arrogant things, I dont see whats wrong with being open to the possibility that it is more of the same.

Edited by Red Light Racicot, 01 June 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#42 Gunner Garrison

Gunner Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

why not just retire? you got your cup, old man

#43 B-town Canuck

B-town Canuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

Chiarelli acknowledges if Thomas takes a year off, he'll have to suspend the goalie to remove his cap hit. http://tinyurl.com/85uxqoh

Read the quote correctly:

"If he wasn't playing I'd have to suspend him. His cap number would still be on the cap. We would have relief through [Marc] Savard being on the cap so it would be almost a wash that way. But [Thomas] would still be on the cap, and that's the way we would proceed through the year."

His salary still counts against the cap. Savard is being placed on the LTIR list so that takes his salary off the books. There is a typo where it says "Savard being on the cap". It should say "Savard being off the cap".

Edited by B-town Canuck, 01 June 2012 - 04:21 PM.

Posted Image

#44 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

Hes already shown a propensity to be selfish and do stupid arrogant things, I dont see whats wrong with being open to the possibility that it is more of the same.

dont worry

theres always some random loser who trys to justify dumb moves like this one
Posted Image

#45 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

dont worry

theres always some random loser who trys to justify dumb moves like this one

It just seemed to me that the guy really did a lot last season to create rifts between him and Chiarelli, Neely, and guys like that.

He gained a lot of love, but I think he lost a lot too.

He does strike me as a prickly kind of guy who wants it his way or the highway.

Edited by Red Light Racicot, 01 June 2012 - 05:30 PM.

#46 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,639 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

Anyone that was doubting that Thomas was a selfish, me first, kind of guy, still have any doubts?

He's screwing over the Bruins by doing this because he wants a season off...What is 3 mil not enough for you Timmy?

And he actually thinks he's going to the olympics if he doesn't play at all next season? Yea right! It'll be Quick, Miller, and Howard, without outside chances going to Andersson and Schneider.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#47 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

Rask will get exposed for what he really is. He's not that good. Good riddance Boston.

#48 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

Anyone that was doubting that Thomas was a selfish, me first, kind of guy, still have any doubts?

He's screwing over the Bruins by doing this because he wants a season off...What is 3 mil not enough for you Timmy?

And he actually thinks he's going to the olympics if he doesn't play at all next season? Yea right! It'll be Quick, Miller, and Howard, without outside chances going to Andersson and Schneider.

Schneider is so much better than Howard. :) I think he'll be challenging for the top spot. I'll give Quick the nod right now due to his possible SCup.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 01 June 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#49 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,158 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

Apparently there are family concerns going on. When I read that, I thought it was a pretty selfless thing to do.

Try to look at it in another perspective. This is a goalie who's arguably in the "prime" of his career and earning "prime" dollars, and he might give that up to spend time with his family (I'm assuming there's something going on). Not a lot of pro sports players have that luxury (Grabner's tweet), but even if they did (like Thomas), I doubt they would actually give up the playing time and money.

However, he's also reinforcing the sense that he lacks team loyalty. Rask can probably cover for him, but I don't think that'll play a factor in his decision if he's as selfish as you say. And with the White House fiasco on his record, you may be right.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#50 ī мцšт вяздк чфµ

ī мцšт вяздк чфµ

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:11 PM

hes gonna try a late run attempt to be president.

vote thomas 2012.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#51 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:11 PM

Rask will get exposed for what he really is. He's not that good. Good riddance Boston.

Rask is awesome man. He's been waiting patiently for a number of years now, just like Schneider. He's every bit as good as Schneider too.

#52 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:38 PM

At that age he'll find it hard to make a comeback

Last year was a dream season for him and he was made out to look like a saint

This year a lot of his quirks and issues were revealed and it may have led to a rift between him and his team mates.

I personally think that while he's a great goalie he's also a little mentally unstable (it seems like all goalies are lol) and he's definitely a very conviction minded guy. That's not always easy to get along with and maybe it caused issues in the room
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#53 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

When Washington scored the OT goal in game 7, he didn't try to get the goaltender interference call or nothing. He just headed off the ice, almost looking like he was thinking "FINALLY!".

It looked to me like he didn't feel supported by his team and ownership. Now, despite another top-notch season, there are abundant rumors that he is going to be traded. His no-trade clause expires, and he could be sent to any crappy team in the league. Whether he actually has a family issue, or just wants to stick it to the team for turning on him after winning them a cup...either way, I can see why he may think this is the way to go.

Either way, this only helps the Canucks, as the value of Luongo just went up a notch.
Posted Image

#54 We Broke The Cup

We Broke The Cup

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

He's not going to be starting in Sochi. Quick and Schneider are the 1-2 punch for USA.

This is what I am hoping for.

#55 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

He can take the rest of his career off for all I care

#56 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 68,217 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli:

“Tim came to me toward the beginning or middle of May and told me he’s seriously considering taking the year off,” said Chiarelli. “The reason why, I’m not exactly sure. He did give some reasons regarding his family.When you hear someone say, ‘Seriously considering,’ he’s probably going to do it.

“Right now I’m operating under the probability that he’ll take the year off and we’ll have to operate without Tim Thomas. I’m a little disappointed — more than a little. But these things happen and you’ve got to deal with them. When someone talks about their family, you’ve got to respect it.”

The Bruins would likely suspend him, but the $5 million salary cap hit would still be on the books. Thomas would owe the Bruins another year of service.

307mg00.jpg

#57 Venom52

Venom52

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

Tim Thomas is a ???? loser, he supports Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck...... enough said.

He actually supports Ron Paul, the only politician who actually wants to help society rather than destroy it.

Posted Image

Edited by Venom52, 02 June 2012 - 01:53 PM.

Posted Image

#58 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

He actually supports Ron Paul, the only politician who actually wants to help society rather than destroy it.

He does support Palin and Beck though. In fact, he watches Beck's show religiously, and is the person he would most want to have dinner with.

He supports ALL republicans.

#59 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

LOL @ him thinking he'll make the Olympics team.
Posted Image

#60 VintageForever420

VintageForever420

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

USA definitely has the best trio going in.

Quick, Schneider, Howard, Miller; any 3.

Luongo
Fleury
Price
Bernier
Ward
Smith

Pretty close if not Canada is better.

Edited by VintageForever420, 02 June 2012 - 04:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.