The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Tim Thomas May Take Next Season Off

Anyone that was doubting that Thomas was a selfish, me first, kind of guy, still have any doubts?

He's screwing over the Bruins by doing this because he wants a season off...What is 3 mil not enough for you Timmy?

And he actually thinks he's going to the olympics if he doesn't play at all next season? Yea right! It'll be Quick, Miller, and Howard, without outside chances going to Andersson and Schneider.

Anyone that was doubting that Thomas was a selfish, me first, kind of guy, still have any doubts?

He's screwing over the Bruins by doing this because he wants a season off...What is 3 mil not enough for you Timmy?

And he actually thinks he's going to the olympics if he doesn't play at all next season? Yea right! It'll be Quick, Miller, and Howard, without outside chances going to Andersson and Schneider.

At that age he'll find it hard to make a comeback

Last year was a dream season for him and he was made out to look like a saint

This year a lot of his quirks and issues were revealed and it may have led to a rift between him and his team mates.

I personally think that while he's a great goalie he's also a little mentally unstable (it seems like all goalies are lol) and he's definitely a very conviction minded guy. That's not always easy to get along with and maybe it caused issues in the room

When Washington scored the OT goal in game 7, he didn't try to get the goaltender interference call or nothing. He just headed off the ice, almost looking like he was thinking "FINALLY!".

It looked to me like he didn't feel supported by his team and ownership. Now, despite another top-notch season, there are abundant rumors that he is going to be traded. His no-trade clause expires, and he could be sent to any crappy team in the league. Whether he actually has a family issue, or just wants to stick it to the team for turning on him after winning them a cup...either way, I can see why he may think this is the way to go.

Either way, this only helps the Canucks, as the value of Luongo just went up a notch.

Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli:

“Tim came to me toward the beginning or middle of May and told me he’s seriously considering taking the year off,” said Chiarelli. “The reason why, I’m not exactly sure. He did give some reasons regarding his family.When you hear someone say, ‘Seriously considering,’ he’s probably going to do it.

“Right now I’m operating under the probability that he’ll take the year off and we’ll have to operate without Tim Thomas. I’m a little disappointed — more than a little. But these things happen and you’ve got to deal with them. When someone talks about their family, you’ve got to respect it.”

The Bruins would likely suspend him, but the $5 million salary cap hit would still be on the books. Thomas would owe the Bruins another year of service.

Archived