The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teacher Suspended because he gave Students Zeroes

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/suspended-edmonton-teacher-expects-to-be-sacked-for-handing-out-zeros-156354995.html

EDMONTON - An Edmonton teacher suspended for giving students zeros says he fully expects to be fired.

Lynden Dorval says he believes he has become an embarrassment to the school board at Ross Sheppard High School by going public with his views on coddling students.

The physics teacher has been getting supportive phone calls and emails from parents and peers for giving students zeros for work not handed in.

The school principal has directed that uncompleted assignments are to be listed as such and not factored into final grades.

The theory is that a zero is unfair because most students have at least some understanding of what's being taught.

Dorval says the policy allows schools to prop up their graduation rates at the expense of students, who are poorly prepared for post-secondary education.

Reminds me of Nick Nolte in Teachers:

Dr. Donna Burke: We, the board members present, think that you should tender your resignation.

Alex Jurel: My resignation? What for?

Dr. Donna Burke: Because, Mr. Jurel, no one here wants to go through the pain of firing you.

Roger Revel: We're not here to worry about one kid, we're trying to get as many through with what we've got.

In case you haven't seen it - one of the plots in the movie involves parents who are suing the school as their son graduated but can't read nor write.

I've lived in Edmonton since 2004, I went though high school in this city (2004-2007) and the school I was at still supported the zero. (Don't know if they still do) Basically, they did exactly what the teacher in the article did. Every time a report card came out, they gave us a sheet that had all of our marks on it, and showed you where you are, and if you kept up your current grades, where you would most likely end up.

There were lots of kids who were expecting to just breeze though high school, but because of the zeros that were handed out, it weeded out the bad kids, while the kids who did there best were rewarded. Most kids who did nothing and got zeros got their poop in a pile once they got those sheets showing how their mark will look after getting zeros all the time. And the ones that didn't either are still in center high (that's the place to go in Edmonton to upgrade or get a high school diploma if you failed / dropped out) or working at low paying jobs.

Most kids don't realize that most trades jobs even require you to have a high school diploma. I don't think it's fair for kids who literally do no work or care about school should just be pushed though the system and get an 'education'. Education is a privilege and should be rewarded to the people who want it and work for it.

As a person with a learning disability, who had to work extremely hard in high school so I could get the good marks to get into university, I was always angered by the students in my class who never showed up for class, never did assignments, papers or tests, but still somehow managed to walk across the stage with me at graduation. Even though those kids got to walk across the stage, they never got a diploma from high school since they technically failed, so I never understood why they were allowed to be there in the first place.

But I can rub in their faces that I have a University Diploma and they are still working at McDonalds or laying down sod.... Sorry, personal rant :P

I've lived in Edmonton since 2004, I went though high school in this city (2004-2007) and the school I was at still supported the zero. (Don't know if they still do) Basically, they did exactly what the teacher in the article did. Every time a report card came out, they gave us a sheet that had all of our marks on it, and showed you where you are, and if you kept up your current grades, where you would most likely end up.

There were lots of kids who were expecting to just breeze though high school, but because of the zeros that were handed out, it weeded out the bad kids, while the kids who did there best were rewarded. Most kids who did nothing and got zeros got their poop in a pile once they got those sheets showing how their mark will look after getting zeros all the time. And the ones that didn't either are still in center high (that's the place to go in Edmonton to upgrade or get a high school diploma if you failed / dropped out) or working at low paying jobs.

Most kids don't realize that most trades jobs even require you to have a high school diploma. I don't think it's fair for kids who literally do no work or care about school should just be pushed though the system and get an 'education'. Education is a privileged and should be rewarded to the people who want it and work for it.

Actually, from what I've read this year (son is just completing grade 8), some trades/trade schools aren't going to accept "basic math" and are going to want the pre calculus math stream instead just like universities.

Good way to prepare a nation or in this case a city of completely useless morons.

Kind of reminds me of something my cousin Steven and I did many years ago. He got a report card that said

"Seven assignments incomplete"

We changed it to read "Steven's assignments complete"

Steven is now a high school teacher. :bigblush:

Still think if you do hand in something regardless of it being crap but you at least putting the effort into you shouldn't fail the assignment but rather get a very low score.

Archived