The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teacher Suspended because he gave Students Zeroes

Without the independent check of a final test there's no way to be certain that everyone that graduates actually has the knowledge required to graduate and thus the stats are going to be flawed and certainly inflated.

Yep, and basketball is the same way. Next time they have the highschool tourney they should make sure everyone gets a shot at the hoop and make sure you count all of them as two points. Let them have four shots for eight points each and you will get a nice tie game where everyone can be proud that they did there best and did well but no need to feel inferior or superior to anyone else on the team or even the competition. But really they shouldn't compete instead of calling them adversaries after the game they should sit down and have a round table discussion about their feelings and learn to celebrate their individual differences.

Yep, and basketball is the same way. Next time they have the highschool tourney they should make sure everyone gets a shot at the hoop and make sure you count all of them as two points. Let them have four shots for eight points each and you will get a nice tie game where everyone can be proud that they did there best and did well but no need to feel inferior or superior to anyone else on the team or even the competition. But really they shouldn't compete instead of calling them adversaries after the game they should sit down and have a round table discussion about their feelings and learn to celebrate their individual differences.

I am a teacher in BC.

There is no need to give zeroes. We have a mark called "Incomplete". If a kid does not complete an assignment, he / she receives an "I". When the assignment is completed, the appropriate Grade is given. If the assignment is not completed by the end of the year / semester, the student may fail the course because all outcomes have not been met to a minimally acceptable level.

Professional judgement / autonomy can always be used, too. If a student has completed 9 of 10 assignments / assessments in a course at a level that meets or exceeds expectations, then this student should pass, regardless of the incomplete. If a student completes 1 of 10 assessments, a fail would be in order.

The weighting of assignments must also be considered. If a kid doesn't hand in an assignment worth 5%, should he / she fail? If an assessment worth 60% is not submitted... hmm?

This Edmonton teacher should not be fired for giving a zero, but, the school's grading system might need to be reviewed. Zeros are unnecessary with an "Incomplete" option.

:towel::canucks:

Which is complete garbage. Going into my thrid year networking, which has taken longer than it should of because I don't have the 'required' level of math. There is absolutely zero math involved in this and you certainly don't need the crap they're teaching you. The school has completely failed to tell me WHY I need such a level of math for this field. 'Just because you need it' doesn't constitute a valid reason. Really, you're going to hold me back in my major courses because I don't know how to solve 5x^2-11=0 in quadratic formula off the top of my head? That's BS

I am a teacher in BC.

There is no need to give zeroes. We have a mark called "Incomplete". If a kid does not complete an assignment, he / she receives an "I". When the assignment is completed, the appropriate Grade is given. If the assignment is not completed by the end of the year / semester, the student may fail the course because all outcomes have not been met to a minimally acceptable level.

Professional judgement / autonomy can always be used, too. If a student has completed 9 of 10 assignments / assessments in a course at a level that meets or exceeds expectations, then this student should pass, regardless of the incomplete. If a student completes 1 of 10 assessments, a fail would be in order.

The weighting of assignments must also be considered. If a kid doesn't hand in an assignment worth 5%, should he / she fail? If an assessment worth 60% is not submitted... hmm?

This Edmonton teacher should not be fired for giving a zero, but, the school's grading system might need to be reviewed. Zeros are unnecessary with an "Incomplete" option.

I am a teacher in BC.

Sports competitions and academics are not the same thing. The odds of having a professional career in sports is disproportionate to the necessity of having an education. Some people should choose a remedial track and learn a trade.

When I was in high school, Physics was an elective. Then again, it is not an easy subject. I took it during my sophomore year in college and despite all my learning disabilities, I worked hard to earn that A.

I am a teacher in BC.

Man I would love that system.

So what if all the assignments were marked "I" but you got 95-100% on all the tests. Could you still get the high grade and not have to hand in the stupid assignments?

I would save the negotiation I had to go through.

So if there were 10 assignments in the semester, each one was weighted equally and the student handed in 9 perfect assignments but nothing for the tenth, would you be giving them 90% or 100% for their total assignment mark?

To me, assigning a zero for the assignment that wasn't handed in is a lesson in itself.

So if there were 10 assignments in the semester, each one was weighted equally and the student handed in 9 perfect assignments but nothing for the tenth, would you be giving them 90% or 100% for their total assignment mark?

To me, assigning a zero for the assignment that wasn't handed in is a lesson in itself.

Archived