The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Going to Vancouver for 1st time - need advice

Hey all, Hopefully this is in the right section...

For my 21st birthday (which was in DEC), I asked my family if we could go to Vancouver. The idea was put on the backburner for a while, but yesterday my family brought it up to me. So we're for sure going there this Summer.

Unfortunately, we don't know much about the city. I told my family that I could ask for advice from people who live around that area. The reason why I want to go there was 1. I love the Canucks and 2. It has the reputation for being one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Anyway, could you guys give me some suggestions on what my family and I should do while we're there? We'd be up there for 4-5 days. Just list some tourist attractions, recreational stuff, hotels, restaurants.

One other question: Do you all know if the Rogers Arena stadium tours are throughout the whole summer? Because only June is listed under the website. Not sure if they only list one month or if it's really only open in June. Anyway, thank you!

1. You could go to the Bloedel conservatory @ queen elizabeth park. beautiful view.

2. capilano suspension bridge

3. walk through stanley park

4. go to granville island and walk around

5. english bay

6. walk down robson street/granville

7. walk through gastown

that's all i got really.

Definitely hit stanely park and english bay. There also might be Lions or Whitecaps game going on that might be fun to check out, plus our new retractable stadium lol!! I would also suggest granville island, lots of neat restaurants and stuff on there.

Not sure about Roger arena tours though, try giving em a call?

Don't go to Victoria. You're in Vancouver for 4-5 days and there is way more to the city than you can see in that time. Spend your time there. Yes, the ferry ride is nice, but transiting up to Horseshoe bay and transiting in to Victoria takes a long time. Taking a car means you sit in line at the ferry terminal for a while (even with a guaranteed pass), and makes it stupidly expensive for a vacation.

The only way I'd recommend it is to find an efficient way to get from downtown to Horseshoe bay, walk on the ferry, get to the island, then hop on the ferry and come right back.

Some of the must-sees are:

1. Grouse mountain

2. Stanley Park

3. Granville Island

4. Gastown

5. Robson street

6. Kits beach or english bay if it's nice and sunny out

You can do capilano suspension bridge when you do Grouse too

I highly recommend Whistler - only a 90 minute drive from Vancouver.

Even in the summer has a large amount of activities to do - bungee jumping, zipline, white water rafting, hanging out at the lake, walking around the village, golf etc.

Not to mention - sightseeing on the mountain itself --- take the peak-2-peak.

We had cousins who visited from Toronto last summer - and we took them there. They still talk about it.

(and I go to Whistler about 15-20 weekends a year)

Don't go to Victoria. You're in Vancouver for 4-5 days and there is way more to the city than you can see in that time. Spend your time there. Yes, the ferry ride is nice, but transiting up to Horseshoe bay and transiting in to Victoria takes a long time. Taking a car means you sit in line at the ferry terminal for a while (even with a guaranteed pass), and makes it stupidly expensive for a vacation.

Must Do:

-Walk around Stanley Park, there are trolleys for a toonie ($2 in case you didn't know) that will take you up to Prospect Point which has a beautiful view of Vancouver, the Lions Gate Bridge and also there is great ice cream and food up there.

-Check out Granville Island. Don't need a whole day here but there is a lot to do. They have great fudge that you can buy, Granville Island Brewery for sure and great restaraunts. If you're a Mission Impossible fan, the last scene of the Ghost Protocol movie where they're all sitting and talking was shot in the open space by all the food places on Granville Island.

-Shop/Window Shop on Robson Street, it's great.

-Go for a walk around Yaletown. You will be stunned by how beautiful it is. You can rent bikes and bike along the seawall as well. There's David Lam Park to have a picnic in/throw a ball around.

-If you're here in in Late July/Early August check out the HSBC Festival of Lights (fireworks show) at English Bay.

-Drive up to, or take a bus to, Whistler and spend a day there in the upper and lower village.

Things that would be nice to do if you have the time and/or money:

- Check out the Richmond Night Market

-Go up to Grouse Mountain

-Capilano Suspension Bridge

-Hike in Lynn Valley , a small suspension bridge in there and a nice waterfall, it's also free.

If you are into clubbing: I'd recommend you check out The Roxy for a different clubbing atmosphere than what you're used to. One of my favorite bars to go to is The Cambie, it's located beneath a hostel and it's almost always full with tourists and it's a great, busy, crowded spot with a fun atmosphere.

With all it's great views Vancouver isn't a great place to visit tourist wise.

Not really it's fault, as Canada (compared to say Europe) is a very young country that doesn't have a lot of historical places to visit.

I've travelled a fair amount and while Canada is nice to look at doesn't offer much in the way tourism.

With all it's great views Vancouver isn't a great place to visit tourist wise.

Not really it's fault, as Canada (compared to say Europe) is a very young country that doesn't have a lot of historical places to visit.

I've travelled a fair amount and while Canada is nice to look at doesn't offer much in the way tourism.

Not true at all, I'm probably the most severe critic of Vancouver on this site and I think the Vancouver area is a great place to visit if not so much to live in. People travel to experience things they normally can't and while Canada doesn't have a lot in the way of historic architechure, museums and colorful folklore and customs, that's not really what people come here to see anyway.

Not true at all, I'm probably the most severe critic of Vancouver on this site and I think the Vancouver area is a great place to visit if not so much to live in. People travel to experience things they normally can't and while Canada doesn't have a lot in the way of historic architechure, museums and colorful folklore and customs, that's not really what people come here to see anyway.

Hit the sea bus and if you got time, go out on the ferrie to Victoria and check that out too. If you go to Victoria, check out the wax museum and the parliament building.

Must go-to places:

- Stanley Park

- Grouse Mountain

- Suspension Bridge

- Robson Street

- A night or two out in Whistler at the villages (Upper & Lower): Skiing, bungee jumping & zip line for sure

- Yaletown

- Science World - not the best of places, but still a good experience for first timers.

- White Rock (Beach) - again, not the best of places but a good experience nonetheless

- Canucks store, right beside/part of Rogers Arena B)

- Metro Town (its a big mall here)

...just a few off the top of my head...will edit and post more if they come to mind.

Btw, great to hear your going to come out here to tour it out - makes me feel honored to live here. I hope you have a great time when/if you come, and I hope you enjoy it as well :)

A lot of great suggestions, but I'm not sure why people are pushing Robson Street so badly. Shopping in Vancouver is awful. Boutiques are awful and our selection of higher end stores is mediocre. I'd skip Yaletown too, unless you are looking for a higher end place to eat. In which case, the roof of the Keg is great for mid-level pricing. Restaurants like the Blue Water Cafe are great for higher end pricing.

OP, where are you from? Might give people better idea of what Vancouver has to offer that you can't get at home.

Thanks for all the suggestions! One thing I'm curious about is if there is some kind of tour bus that takes people around the city. They have those in San Francisco (where I'm coming from), so I'm wondering if they have one of those services in Van.

Also another recommendation I've heard from someone is the aquarium. Do you all agree that this is a must-visit?

Archived