The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mark Donnelly

WAIT..READ the Posting First

Our anthem man, MD, has chosen to sing the national anthem at an anti-abortion rally. I find it rather appropriate that someone so closely linked to this team has come out in support of this divisive, graphic campaign.

Link to article : http://sports.yahoo....-192042820.html

What caused such a stir, and so easily out of the OPs posting?

it is not the fact MD did this, and what he did or what he supports! so lets GET away from the argument whether you support MD's actions or not - or whether PRO CHOICE - or - PRO LIFE is the better choice.

It is...that the OP is trying to link MD as the quintessential ambassador for the Canucks, somebody who is so closely linked to the Canucks.

Although I could see the 'anthem singer' to some people as a integral part of the sports club.

However, the way OP has worded, it comes across as "FINALLY somebody has stepped out of the darkness and shed light to this decision on behalf of the Canucks" (the canucks being everyone in the organization, including the fans)

Nobody gives a sht about whether somebody is pro-life or pro-choice, we're Canadians - yes we have our own opinions - but when do we ever give a f...to correct somebody's stance on it or not.

What I do feel is an issue is the OP trying to purge on what he believes is the CORRECT view (whether it is or not) and presenting it as if this is universally shared by the Canucks nation (and even to some extent Vancouver)

So what we all need to do (as mostly everybody is already doing) is respect each other's view, and OP that is nice you have a stance on it, but don't try to universalize it to everyone else.

Whether you agree with someone's thoughts / choices / decisions is irrelevant. Everyone in Canada has the freedom to stand up and speak (or sing) for what they believe in. Would you really want to live in a country where you could NOT do so?

There's no reason to lose respect for someone due to their beliefs. If we were all the same, well that would be pretty boring. It's not like he's using abortion videos to back up his singing at RA, so really, it is none of your business what he does in his free time.

That would also apply to David Booth's personal life. MYOB

an unborn child is not a person. It has no thoughts, emotions or free will. Also does sperm have any say when a guy "whacks off"? If an abortion is bad, I can't imagine what you think of guys who are killing thousands of potential ppl everyday.

I realize that beliefs aren't beliefs if they are forced upon people - they're your beliefs if you choose them. However, it isn't a choice if you don't hear all sides of an issue, so I will present my veiws.

I consider abortion to be murder, and I consider murder to be wrong. In my opinion, life starts when the sperm and the egg join together. However, there is the argument of "Sure it's life, but it's not 'human' life". What is 'human life', then? Most likely once it can process thoughts itself. However, there is no definitive way of telling when the fetus can think, so I say err on the side of caution, and consider it human life from conception. Thus, killing it is murder.

Another argument is "What if the woman was raped, and is unable to support the baby?". There is no guarantee that someone will die if they have a baby. There is a guarantee that the baby will die if you have an abortion. To me, sacrificing one life so that another life might not die is a terrible idea. Would you throw a baby at somebody who is obliviously walking towards a cliff, just to stop them from walking? I wouldn't, and I doubt many people would - and abortion is a similar situation.

Any other questions on my point of view, and I'll do my best to answer them. Please don't ignore my argument just because you disagree - it's one of the biggest problems in the world today, people not paying attention when they disagree.

So you are sayin the unborn has no say at all? It would seem you are pushing your views on them. The differennce between them and me is that they can't speak for or defend theselves.

In short, yes.

Now if you are going to go off down a road of "monkeys could evolve and eventually become human" road, then no.

Is human (or in your words will turn human) in its own life span, yes.

That's awfully stupid, there's no life in sperm, simply DNA. Life occurs when sperm and egg combine, or were you too busy laughing at the word "vagina" in sex ed. class to pay attention to that? It's a well documented fact that, at an incredibly early point in the development of a fetus, it can experience pain and emotion.

I do believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I very much support those people that would oppose abortion by personal choice, but also understand that there are some extreme cases (rape, for example, that leads to unwanted birth). But really, why do we have such a hard time understanding that "shock messaging" only serves to further divide people? If you have the choice of telling someone, "Hey, your ideas are the stupidest things I've ever heard, you must like murdering babies" or "Hey, you've obviously got some good reasons for believing what you do, why don't we talk about it and learn each others thoughts?", which one do you think will garner a more open and useful dialogue? We have to learn how to discuss without alienating.

Archived