The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kristian Huselius

I thought that I'd bring up this guy up to everybody. Now, I'm assuming that most of you know who Kristian Huselius is. He's a winger that's turning 34 this November, and he's a member of the Columus Blue Jackets. He's a pure playmaker, and always thinks pass first. Huselius is the kind of guy we could use on our second line if the chemistry between Kelser and Booth is really that bad, though both have been injured at different times and didn't have much of a chance to play at the top of their games.

People really rave about the AMEX line and how fantastic they were, but really, they weren't that dangerous. They just individually made each other better at different times. Kes playing injured February and on could of played a major role in the decline of offence on the second line, but I believe a playmaker could be a fine asset to a second line with Kesler and Booth that needs a playmaker.

Huselius has been putting up consistent 60-80 point scoring seasons before he sprained his ankle then hurt his groin. If the Canucks management gets enough positive injury reports on this guy, then I believe that he could be that plamaker role guy that we need if we don't think Schroeder's ready to play a full season before Kesler returns from his injury.

I wouldn't assume Huselius will be asking for much this offseason, possibly 3-4 million. The Canucks WILL have cap to spend with if one of our goalies go, and no, Pahlsson will not come back. If he's recovering well and should be ready for next season, signing Huselius to a one-year contract would be pretty low risk high reward.

Thoughts???

Cheers,

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

I and several other people have brought this up in the proposals section.

The guy is a pure playmaker so is exactly the type of player you need to somehow make a line out of Booth and Kesler.

He would also come very cheap and would cost you no assets.

On the flipside, then it really puts pressure on us getting some size and grit on our defence. If we got Schenn from Toronto for Luongo and somehow managed to land Weber then you have toughness on the ice all the time and can afford a softer guy like Huselius.

This was my 2012 lineup:

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Kristian Huselius ($2.500m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Zack Kassian ($0.870m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Travis Moen ($1.500m)

Andrew Ebbett ($0.525m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Shea Weber ($7.500m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Sami Salo ($2.000m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.605m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.000m)

Curtis Sanford ($0.600m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,900,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $7,400,000

How long will it take before fans realize that the Canucks have to get bigger and tougher. Suggestions like Huselius, soft on the puck, are great for regular season play but that is it. There is a reason he is playing for Columbus.

Archived