The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Keith Ballard Next Year

DeltaSwede

209 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd do Edler for Oshie and Polak, if Garrison can be signed. And add a guy like Parenteau.

Sedin Sedin Burr

Booth Kesler Parenteau

Higgins Oshie Hansen

Malhotra/Pinnizotto Lappy Kassian

Hamhuis Bieksa

Ballard Polak

Garrison Tanev

I knew he was capable of that preformance, I'm not surprised at all, If Bieksa didn't have such a great chemistry with Hamhuis or if Tanev was more developed I would consider trading Bieksa instead, he has been very inconsistent throughout his career and this past season just proves that it's more of the same.

and even said himself that the teams success made him look better than he was playing in 2010-11.

Overall I love Bally, Maybe Edler could move over to the right side and Ballard could play in the top 4 as previously suggested.

If we expect to keep Edler and somehow acquire Weber, Luongo has to be dealt for assets Nashville wants in blockbuster deal.

-

Ballard has to be traded for a center somehow someway as the perfect UFA 3rd line center this offseason will likely get $3-4Mper - Chris Kelly.

that's reaching. no way we would get anything back like that for Edler. while he has had some great moments this season, he was also awful come playoff time, and needs a sold right defensemen. If we were to get Weber, Stamkos, or Tavares we would need to trade multiple canucks/prospects. Also any of those guys are also going to take up gigantic cap space... not sure if thats what we need right now.

I think we'll trade him, because not sure if anyone remember but we also have Gragnani, and that is a guy with lots of upside potential. So i could imagine our d look like

Hammer - Edler

Bieksa - Tanev

Gragnani - Salo(If he signs for another season)

Extras: Connatoun(sp?), Alberts

Time is passing by really slow, no more hockey and exams next week for myself.

Just wanted to hear your opinion on Keith Ballard for next year. I think we have all noticed a trend over the past few seasons that it takes some time for new defensemen to get used to our system and this includes Ballard. I have to say though, Ballard was arguably our best defensemen in this years playoffs, so, is it a fluke? is it a sign that he is starting to look like the defensemen we acquired? and most importantly, will he be wearing a Canucks uniform next year?

I have always had a soft spot for the guy with his huge personality and underdog-esque status.

Love him or hate him, I hope he stays.

I think we'll trade him, because not sure if anyone remember but we also have Gragnani, and that is a guy with lots of upside potential. So i could imagine our d look like

Hammer - Edler

Bieksa - Tanev

Gragnani - Salo(If he signs for another season)

Extras: Connatoun(sp?), Alberts

I don't mind having him as an expensive, 4+ million dollar #5 defenceman if we can go and find a solid shutdown defenceman for around 3 million to play with Edler.

Ballard would really play well with a good shutdown defenceman (not Tanev, Rome or Alberts) like Hamhuis and I feel he is the same type of player as Bieksa but a better skater. This guy has a very underrated shot and isn't being used properly at all in Vancouver.

Hamhuis, Edler and Ballard can only play on the left side. Of the three, Hammer and Eddie deserves more ice time. So... we can't pay over 4M for a third pair D man. We have to allocate our limited cap space well and having Ballard makes it somewhat inefficient use of our cap space.

I like all our Ds especially the guys who stand up, Bieksa and Ballard.

However, we really need a big skilled D who has the bollocks to clear out all the trash in front of Lu. We needed him last year and the year before that.

Let's stop fannying about with this team and start getting the players who will make a difference............or we will suffer another breakdown when crunch time rolls round again.

By the way, for what it's worth, I would prefer to trade Edler, not because he was poor in the playoffs (most were) but because he doesn't "stand up" like Ballard. Simple as that. Edler is a big body but doesn't "play big" imo.

We will miss Edlers points but not if we get a Weber or similar and certainly not if we finally get the BIG sniper for the Sedins. We play too much to the PP because we lack size........but PP seems always to let us down when it matters.

That is why I would rather have size and goals in the offence and let the D get on with their primary job of keeping the puck out of our net.........That's playoff hockey.

More of this. The playmaking and anticipation.

and this, take a look at the edge work, the balance...........the shot. He is an underused thoroughbred.

the rocket!

Lastly, is there nothing the guy can't do? Are you not entertained?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR7C89Vm34I

Agreed.

Gillis may be quite shrewd, with many positive signings and moves, but some of his decisions have been perplexing.

Team is short on RW and pure scorers, trade away Grabner for...

Team has two top 4 LD, trade for another one with a $4m+ contract.

Team is one top six injury from seriously lacking in scoring/game-breaking skill, trades away our top offensive (and NHL ready!) prospect since the Sedins.

Has 3 bottom six centers, trades for another one at the same time as shipping out a top six C that plays bottom six giving us more scoring depth. This as our powerplay was struggling, and scoring was way down, we traded for a great defensive but limited offensive center.

D-man has one great season (in a contract year), but had previously been very inconsistent and a bit of a space cadet, signed to a bigger contract than our most stable and best defense-man in a long time.

Sometimes I dont understand.

One problem this team has had for, well, it's entire existence is the lack of a true #1 defenseman. Do you know how many Norris candidates have been on this team? Zero. 41 years. No Norris candidates. No cups. Only 3 appearances. Coincidence? No.

Since 1970 only 5 teams have won the cup without a Norris caliber, elite, defenseman. The '74, '75 Flyers. The '88, 90' Oilers and the '06 Hurricanes. You just don't win without these guys. It is imperative that MG solve this issue this offseason. There is only 1 Norris caliber, Elite defenseman available out there and we need to get him. MG needs to get Weber and he needs to do it at all costs. Even if it means overpayment.

Edler, 2 firsts, Schroeder for Weber.

Luongo for Schenn.

Ballard Weber

Hamhuis Bieksa

Tanev Schenn

Archived