Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Who was the Best Coach in Canucks History?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Who was the Best Coach in Canucks History? (193 member(s) have cast votes)

Who was/is the best coach in Canucks history?

1. Hal Laycoe 70-72 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Vic Stasiuk 72-73 (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Bill MacCreary 73-74 (1 votes [0.52%])

Percentage of vote: 0.52%

4. Phil Maloney 74-77 (1 votes [0.52%])

5. Orland Kurtenbach 77-78 (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Harry Neale 78-82, 84 (1 votes [0.52%])

7. Roger Neilson 82-84 (25 votes [12.95%])

Percentage of vote: 12.95%

8. Bill LaForge 84 (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Tom Watt 85-87 (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Bob McCammon 87-91 (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Pat Quinn 91-94, 96 (46 votes [23.83%])

Percentage of vote: 23.83%

12. Tom Renney 96-98 (1 votes [0.52%])

13. Mike Keenan 97-99 (Everyone's favorite!) (2 votes [1.04%])

Percentage of vote: 1.04%

14. Marc Crawford 99-06 (15 votes [7.77%])

Percentage of vote: 7.77%

15. Alain Vigenault 06- (101 votes [52.33%])

Percentage of vote: 52.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Molli

Molli

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

AV has gotten us closer to a cup than Quinn

oh really now?
Posted Image

#32 Teen Icarus

Teen Icarus

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

AV's the best regular season coach by far...if we could bring back Neilson from the dead then I'd go with him in the playoffs - he'd be more likely to adjust to other teams' strategies than AV.
Spoiler

#33 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#34 ChroniK

ChroniK

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

Who voted for Mike Keenan? That's like voting for Mike Milbury as best GM of the Islanders.

#35 crosbyheadshot

crosbyheadshot

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

Rick ley

Edited by crosbyheadshot, 03 June 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#36 John Garret's moustache

John Garret's moustache

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

AV has gotten us closer to a cup than Quinn

Actually Quinn's Canucks only lost by one goal in game 7 of the finals... So if anything Quinn has gotten us closer...
Posted Image

Thanks to Vintage Canuck. for the sick Zeppelin sig!

#37 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

Each person's vote should be discounted by their age. Seventy-five percent of this bunch don't even remember Pat Quinn, never mind Roger Neilson. How can they vote for a guy they don't remember. The franchise is 42 years old - people who can only remember AV's six years should only get 6/42 * 100 % of a vote.

#38 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

AV has gotten us closer to a cup than Quinn has and given this franchise more of a chance to compete for the Cup over a number of years than Quinn has, so I'm going to go with AV.

I dont agree with any of this. In what way has AV gotten this team closer to the cup than Quinn did? Quinn guided a Canucks team to the cup final which statistically had no business being there, lost in game 7 by one goal on the road to the presidents trophy winners and did that in one fewer games. AV as we all know lost too, but his team was the favorite and his team lost in embarrassing fashion.
Also, Gillis is the GM, he's the guy who makes the moves which keeps this team competitive year after year, not AV.

#39 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

Roger Neilson was way ahead of his time.

He was one of the first to pull his goalie when a penalty was called, and to pull a goalie with a couple minutes left.

He knew the rulebook like no one else at the time, and used it to his advantage.

I he had more years with a better Canuck squad, then I think he would be a lot more prominent in people's minds.

AV is the most winningest, but he's also bee here longer than anyone except Crawford (right... wrong?).

I liked Neilson, he gets my vote.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#40 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,883 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

Sorry...don't mean to be picky, but we need a definiton as to what "Best" coach means.

As far as coaches go, a lot of their success depends on the team given to them...

What I mean is, if you look at what the Canucks have done since AV has been here based on sheer total number of wins, would it be the same or lower if we had say a different coach?

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#41 menace

menace

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

Why no Rick Ley?

#42 the boards

the boards

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

The title clearly says 'Who is the BEST coach in Canucks history?'

And his post clearly says 'Whose your FAVOURITE coach?'

BEST: Vigneault
FAVOURITE: Nielson!!!! :towel:

+ for appropriate towel-wave!

Edited by the boards, 04 June 2012 - 03:21 PM.

Of the dwarves, little is said.

#43 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

As far as coaches go, a lot of their success depends on the team given to them...

What I mean is, if you look at what the Canucks have done since AV has been here based on sheer total number of wins, would it be the same or lower if we had say a different coach?

Same could be said about any coach. It's a crapshoot. Injuries, chemistry, etc... So yeah, I think you bring up a good point.

Honestly it's embarrassing that this team and some fans choose to brag about how AV is the best ever. When someone new could come in and win the cup in one year and take that title away. ie Sutter in LA may go down as LA's best coach in history compared to if NJ wins, DeBoer won't.

FWIW Keenan may be the best coach to sit behind the bench in VAN (no, I don't really believe that). But he was the 1st coach in history to get 2 different teams to game 7 (PHI & NYR). He won the President's Trophy and the Cup in his 1 and only year with Rangers. But obviously he's not a fan favorite here. It's an opinion based on personal preference and selective memory.

Smartest = Nielsen IMO.

Coaching legacy

Neilson dedicated his entire life to coaching and to hockey and affected the careers of thousands. He had no family and would stay up late into the night watching video and analysing games.
Among his most well-known innovations was the use of videotape to analyze other teams, leading to the nickname "Captain Video". He was also the first to use microphone headsets to communicate with his assistant coaches.
Neilson was well known for closely reading the rule book looking for loopholes. During one particular game in the OHL his team was up one goal, but was down two men in a five on three situation for the last minute of the game. Realizing that more penalties could not be served under the existing rules, Neilson put too many men on the ice every ten seconds. The referees stopped the play and a faceoff was held relieving pressure on the defence. After this display, the rule was changed so that a call for intentional too many men on the ice in a 5-on-3 situation in the last two minutes of regulation or in overtime resulted in a penalty shot.
Neilson also discovered that if he put a defenceman in net instead of a goalie during a penalty shot, the defenceman could rush the attacker and cut down the latter's angle of shot, greatly reducing the chances of a goal. Today the rule states that a team must use a goalie in net for a penalty shot.
One game during a time-out, Neilson told his goaltender, “...when we pull you, just leave your goal stick lying in the crease.” When the other team gained possession, they sent the puck the length of the ice toward the open net, only to deflect wide when it hit the goal stick lying in the crease. The rule was changed the next season so that a goal would be awarded in such a situation.
Neilson also broke the rules, in a sense, when he didn't like what was going on on the ice. As the Canucks coach during a 1982 playoff game against the Chicago Blackhawks, he felt his team was unfairly penalized on several occasions during the third period. He took a trainer's white towel and held it on a hockey stick, as if to wave a white flag. Three other Canucks players did the same thing, and all were ejected from the game. By doing this, Neilson inadvertently started an NHL tradition. Canucks fans waved white towels by the thousands at the next game, a playoff tradition that continues to this day and that is widely copied by other hockey teams.

Vigneault isn't history.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#44 DreamHerO

DreamHerO

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

Quinn #1 coach hands down.
Posted Image

#45 Italia2006

Italia2006

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:35 PM

I loved Pat Quinn and I think he did the best with an over achieving team. Vigneault has a way better team then Quinn ever had.

#46 1970 and beyond

1970 and beyond

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

I said Crawford cause he had some spunk.

Hard to say though. Some of the earlier coachs could have been considered as the best if they had todays team..

Been a fan from day one. Some of those days were good and some were bad.

#47 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:04 AM

Although I don't think AV should have had his contract extended, probably him.

Seeing as this team has never won anything, aka. the Stanley Cup, I don't see it really meaning much.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.