The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Tim Thomas will sit out 2012-13 season.

Stix

Only solution, trade him to a team struggling to make it to the cap floor (like Colorado, apparently, that is where his family is). That team gets $5mill of salary counted against them without having to shell out a penny because he isn't playing.

He's already won the stanley cup and a vezina to go with it. If he takes the year off, might not be the best idea. Paul Kariya took a year off, and never came back. Your body shuts down, and it's hard to get back into it, if he decides to come back next year. It's all up to him.

Amazing how people dump on this guy. Boston would not have won the CUP last year without Thomas. He was superb that whole season.

I am sure he has got his reasons for taking a year off. But look at it from another angle as well the Boston management and fans were talking as early as Jan this year that Thomas was going to be traded next year so Raask can take over the starting job. YOU could almost bet your house that when his trade clause came up on July 1st that he was going to be traded. He probably realized that as well and good on him. So on that point i dedicate this video to him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybS1VejWqKY&feature=related

He most certainly DOES.

His contract was signed after he turned 35 years old therefore nothing can take it off of the books, under the old CBA, even retirement.

That's why I suggested they suspend him, then the Bs might ask the league for a special dispensation to have his contract not count. I don't think that will happen though so unless the new CBA has some type of mechanism for the Bruins to get out of this they are stuck with him. They won't be buying him out as it wouldn't help them enough to make it worthwhile to use up cap space for next year too.

Could he be traded to a team well under the cap ceiling, perhaps trying to reach the cap floor? He wouldn't cost any real money, only cap space that some teams will not use - this team could send a bad contract the other way or get a 2nd and Thomas for their 3rd or something.

Archived