The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MG wants to get bigger and stronger..

Tangerines

They played something like a combined 4 games this post-season out of a possible 15. AV needs to try and implement size and grit more into his roster.

MG has done his best to get our team as big as possible with acquisitions such as Pinizotto, Kassian, Bitz, Weise, Booth and Higgins, but it all depends on how AV uses them and who he dresses.

Bitz would have had a Nolan or King-like playoffs if he wasn't suspended and then benched. This guy has about the same if not more offensive skill than Hansen but is twice as powerful. Instead AV has Raymond playing in out top-6 when Bitz is in the press box for our final game of the season.

Size and strength are pretty useless sitting in the press box or playing 3minutes a game.

Since the same issues are brought up every season, one must assume the Canucks are the best team ever assembled, ever, in the universe. They just need to keep doing the same thing over and over again every season. And eventually the NHL will realize how great the Canucks are hand the cup to them.

More needs to be done, not just get bigger and stronger. The team needs players that have the heart and ability to raise their game when the going gets tough. Players that can thrive in big-game situations. What is really needed is more grit, size and most importantly, game-breakers. The Canucks are sorely lacking when it comes to this.

Ultimately, another problem I have found is that the Canucks must get better when it comes to their 4th line. You look at other teams and see that their grinders were important pieces who could chip in with the odd clutch goal. Can you honestly see this happening with the way the Canucks 4th line is constructed? Not a chance.

Is management finally getting it? Could be. I guess getting ousted 3 times in a row by the eventual cup champs who were all noticeably bigger and grittier than you will eventually make anyone see the light. LA, it seems, has got a 6'3"+, 220lbs+ power forward on every line, and the others ain't too shabby in the size department.

Anyone here likes Schroeder's chances of making the club next season?

It's players like Matt Martin on the Isles the Canucks also want to draft. Duh. You need to develop much of this talent on your own. It's easy in hindsight to say that we should have drafted Martin over Rai (who is never even going to come close to making the NHL). Well, perhaps it was easy to say that back at draft time also. What, the Canucks don't have enough finesse forward prospects? Looking at 'in the system' on the main page for example, none of those guys are physical, rough, in your face monsters like Martin for example. But we continue to draft the smaller, finesse type players.

To develop a big, mean, physical team, you need to actually draft that way. You can't just bank on trades and FA because that probably wont work. I'll tell you that right now.

I'd like some proof of his skill that surpasses Hansen's skill. Yes he did well with the Sedins, but so did Hansen.

Raymond just needs to put on 10-20 pounds. He could be really dangerous, if he was stronger. He's not effective at his weight anymore, he used to be able too with his speed, but he now is a known player, easy to play against.

Is management finally getting it? Could be. I guess getting ousted 3 times in a row by the eventual cup champs who were all noticeably bigger and grittier than you will eventually make anyone see the light. LA, it seems, has got a 6'3"+, 220lbs+ power forward on every line, and the others ain't too shabby in the size department.

Anyone here likes Schroeder's chances of making the club next season?

More needs to be done, not just get bigger and stronger. The team needs players that have the heart and ability to raise their game when the going gets tough. Players that can thrive in big-game situations. What is really needed is more grit, size and most importantly, game-breakers. The Canucks are sorely lacking when it comes to this.

Ultimately, another problem I have found is that the Canucks must get better when it comes to their 4th line. You look at other teams and see that their grinders were important pieces who could chip in with the odd clutch goal. Can you honestly see this happening with the way the Canucks 4th line is constructed? Not a chance.

I don't know if it's his weight as much as his playing style. He's not creative enough with the puck. How many times did we see him race down the wing then throw a weak shot on goal from a bad angle right into the goalie's chest? And he won't even stand in front of the net, which is the easiest way to score. Raymond has the legs of a 1st liner with the offensive hockey sense of a 4th liner.

Archived