Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Two dead after SPIDERS swarm town!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

http://www.news.com....r-1226381896416

A TOWN in India is living in fear of a swarm of venomous spiders, which last month left two people dead after being bitten.
It may sound like a B-grade horror movie, but residents of the town of Sadiya, in Assam state, say that on the evening of May 8 as they were celebrating a Hindu festival swarms of spiders suddenly appeared and attacked them, The Times of India reported.

Over the next few days two people - a man, Purnakanta Buragohain, and an unnamed school boy - died after being bitten by the spiders. Scores more turned up at the town's hospital with spider bites.

District authorities are panicking and are considering spraying the town with the insecticide DDT.

Locals say the most terrifying aspect is that spiders appear in swarms and their behaviour is highly aggressive.

"It leaps at anything that comes close. Some of the victims claimed the spider latched on to them after biting. If that is so, it needs to be dealt with carefully. The chelicerae and fangs of this critter are quite powerful," head of the department of life sciences at Dibrugarh University Dr LR.Saikia said.

Teams of Indian arachnid experts have flocked to the town, hoping to identify the species, but so far they have drawn a blank.

They say it could be a tarantula, a black wishbone or even a funnel-web spider - or it could be a whole new species.

One thing they agree on is that it is not native to the area as there is no record of venomous spiders in Assam. The black wishbone and funnel-web are native to Australia.

Researchers are also still running tests to find out the toxicity of the spiders' venom.

Dr Anil Phatowali, superintendent of the town's hospital, said they had not administered antivenin as they could not be certain the spider was venomous at all.

He also pointed out other factors may have contributed to the two reported fatalities.

"All the bite patients first went to witch doctors, who cut open their wounds with razors, drained out blood and burnt it. That could have also made them sick," Dr Phatowali said.

-

Where's Samuel l Jackson, it's not about snakes on a plane anymore. Now we got spiders in a town!

Edited by Special Ed, 04 June 2012 - 12:49 PM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#2 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

Where's Samuel l Jackson, it's not about snakes on a plane anymore. Now we got spiders in a town!

ahem

Posted Image
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#3 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

ahem

Ah right. Well maybe John goodman and Samuel Jackson can team up XD

Edited by Special Ed, 04 June 2012 - 01:45 PM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

#4 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

I wonder how big the swarms are. They're still not sure whether it was the actual bites that killed them.

I'd still be peeing my pants with spiders that aggressive though. I feel like I'm in the Forbidden Forest of Hogwarts.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 04 June 2012 - 01:04 PM.

#5 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

That is creepy!

#6 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

They must have been killed by the boss spider.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

I wonder how big the swarms are. They're still not sure whether it was the actual bites that killed them.

I'd still be peeing my pants with spiders that aggressive though. I feel like I'm in the Forbidden Forest of Hogwarts.

The report is strange indeed. I'm holding back judgement until more details come out but a pretty horrifying scenario especially for children. Perhaps some part of the festival these people had aggravated the spiders somehow. Either way a real nightmare come true.

#8 masutheakita

masutheakita

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

the apocalypse is near!

edit: this is going to be my standard response to threads from now on... the world is going crazy

Edited by masutheakita, 04 June 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#9 WolfxHaley

WolfxHaley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

Well, I can now say I am never going to India... Spiders are the scariest things.

Posted Image

#10 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

If you got bitten by a poisonous spider, wouldn't the sting hurt real bad and spread real fast?

If they went to a witch doctor over what felt like a pinprick and got their flesh gouged out for it, isn't it likely not the spider's bite that killed them?

#11 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

My worst run-in with a spider was a gigantic wolf spider that was feeding on me at night. Kept waking up with large bites. I finally found it in my bed frame and it was a mean looking bastard.

A geologist friend of mine who does surveying told me a pretty scary story. He was down in south America and was sleeping near the base of a tree when his guide woke him. Quietly his guide asked him to slowly move away from the tree. When my friend turned around he said there was a large bird eating spider, the size of a small dog, at the base of the tree. It was reared up on its hind legs and had fangs up in the air. This geologist said he preferred dealing with the grizzly bears serveying up north than these spiders down south...

Edited by Special Ed, 04 June 2012 - 01:54 PM.

#12 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

My worst run-in with a spider was a gigantic wolf spider that was feeding on me at night. Kept waking up with large bites. I finally found it in my bed frame and it was a mean looking bastard.

A geologist friend of mine who does surveying told me a pretty scary story. He was down in south America and was sleeping near the base of a tree when his guide woke him. Quietly his guide asked him to slowly move away from the tree. When my friend turned around he said there was a large bird eating spider, the size of a small dog, at the base of the tree. It was reared up on its hind legs and had fangs up in the air. This geologist said he preferred dealing with the grizzly bears serveying up north than these spiders down south...

Good god...

#13 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

Face eating canibals in Miami...

Legions of killer spiders in india...

Kings about to win the cup...

REPENT SINNERS! The apocalypse is nigh!!!!!

#14 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,107 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

Like I needed another reason not to want to go to India

#15 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

No big deal. Their venom is only comparable to a wasp sting.

Edited by Buggernut, 04 June 2012 - 02:09 PM.

#16 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

No big deal. Their venom is only comparable to a wasp sting.

The bird-eating spider?

True it may not kill you. But they hide in holes and are difficult to see. Move surprisingly fast and the thought of one the size of a small dog feeding on you in your sleep is nothing pleasant. I think my geologist friend was saying he preferred dealing with grizzlies because they are easier to avoid.

#17 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

The bird-eating spider?

True it may not kill you. But they hide in holes and are difficult to see. Move surprisingly fast and the thought of one the size of a small dog feeding on you in your sleep is nothing pleasant. I think my geologist friend was saying he preferred dealing with grizzlies because they are easier to avoid.

When has one ever started munching on a human?

By the way, I bet a spider that big would make fantastic eating. Kind of like eating crab.

Edited by Buggernut, 04 June 2012 - 02:28 PM.

#18 MashedBananas

MashedBananas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

This sounds like a cheesy horror movie.....
Posted Image

Sig Credit goes to Henrik Sedin

#19 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

nvm. i was wrong.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 04 June 2012 - 02:41 PM.

#20 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

When has one ever started munching on a human?

By the way, I bet a spider that big would make fantastic eating. Kind of like eating crab.

There are plenty of things that happen that you never hear about. The guide was worried enough to pull me friend away from the spider carefully. Have you been down in the jungles of south America on a regular basis? If so please share some insight because the one person who did share some insight that I know of, is more worried about those spiders than grizzlies.

Edited by Special Ed, 04 June 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#21 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

There are plenty of thing that happen that you never hear about. The guide was worried enough to pull me friend away from the spider carefully. Have you been down in the jungles of south America on a regular basis? If so please share some insight because the one person who did share some insight that I know of is more worried about those spiders than grizzlies.

http://en.wikipedia....ng_spider#Venom

The Goliath Birdeater is fairly harmless to humans, as are most species of tarantulas. Like all tarantulas, they have fangs large enough to break the skin of a human (1.9–3.8 cm or 0.75–1.5 in.). They carry venom in their fangs and have been known to bite when threatened, but the venom is relatively harmless and its effects are comparable to those of a wasp's sting. Also when threatened they rub their abdomen with their hind legs and release hairs that are a severe irritant to the skin and mucus membranes. They have urticating hairs that can even be harmful to humans, and are considered by some to be the most harmful tarantula urticating hair of all. Tarantulas generally bite humans only in self-defense, and these bites do not always result in envenomation (known as a "dry bite"). The Goliath birdeater has poor eyesight and mainly relies on vibrations in the ground that it can sense from its burrow.

#22 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_eating_spider#Venom

Sigh. Everybody knows Wikipedia. The nature shows. Try spending months living in the jungle with the tribesmen. You learn new things that would surprise you. I would take a geologists information in person over Wikipedia any day of the week. Like I said you don't swe many things unless you're living down there in the jungle. most of it never hits mainstream media.

#23 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

Posted Image

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#24 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

http://en.wikipedia....ng_spider#Venom

More than enough reasons in there to stay the hell away.

#25 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

Sigh. Everybody knows Wikipedia. The nature shows. Try spending months living in the jungle with the tribesmen. You learn new things that would surprise you. I would take a geologists information in person over Wikipedia any day of the week. Like I said you don't swe many things unless you're living down there in the jungle. most of it never hits mainstream media.

You may well be correct. However, I don't think I would take a geologists opinion on the severity of a particular spider's bite as gospel....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#26 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

#27 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

I looked into the clip. It was listed as on of 60 deadly creatures he was handling. He says it's an older spider and probably a little more docile I imagine. If you want to take your chances in handling one of those thing be my guest. But make sure to post the video XD

#28 WolfxHaley

WolfxHaley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

I would prefer grizzly bears with wings that spit fire then a freaking spider the size of a small dog. Spiders may do a lot of good and all that but they creep me right out.

Posted Image

#29 CCF4E

CCF4E

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:56 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Ehrhoff isn't from europe....

#30 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

I looked into the clip. It was listed as on of 60 deadly creatures he was handling. He says it's an older spider and probably a little more docile I imagine. If you want to take your chances in handling one of those thing be my guest. But make sure to post the video XD

It should be apparent from the video though that they shy away from humans, as opposed to attacking and eating them.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.