The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Fan 960 in Calgary: Luongo to Toronto done at draft

You're underrating Phaneuf, big time! He might be overpaid but he's a #1 defenseman and the Leafs only gave up Ian White and a bunch of spare parts. Even at 6.5 mil, Phaneuf is better than any of our d-men and could sure help our power play and transition game. Put him with the right partner and he can be a norris nominee again.

As for Burke if they offer the 5th overall pick I would snatch it up in a heartbeat and then give Burke a smack in the face for being so stupid. Don't count on it though. He's an idiot but he knows how to work a trade.

You're underrating Phaneuf, big time! He might be overpaid but he's a #1 defenseman and the Leafs only gave up Ian White and a bunch of spare parts. Even at 6.5 mil, Phaneuf is better than any of our d-men and could sure help our power play and transition game. Put him with the right partner and he can be a norris nominee again.

As for Burke if they offer the 5th overall pick I would snatch it up in a heartbeat and then give Burke a smack in the face for being so stupid. Don't count on it though. He's an idiot but he knows how to work a trade.

Seriously???? You mean the Norris candidate that Ron Wilson was talking about one month into last season? He fell off the face of the earth after that.

Dreger just said on 1040 today that Florida was the best bet for landing Lu.  I would rather take the option of trying to land either Gudbrannson, Howden, Huberdeau, or Kulikov over the Leafs junk (Unless it was their 5th).  Only thing is that the Panthers have Markstom and he may be ready in a couple years.  An Edler-Gudbrannson would be sick though!

I haven't really put much thought of Luongo going to Florida, always assuming Markstrom is their guy.

I totally agree about Schneider, look how he has developed behind Luongo and being groomed the right way. I would not want my goaltenders to be thrown into the fire at 20 years old if I could help it. The more they can develop and with a couple of years in the NHL, the more it is seeming beneficial to the team and to the goaltenders career.

Here's some rough positive examples:

Jonathan Quick - Always been a great goaltender, but now at 26 is having a phenomenal year (however he's been "the" guy for a while now in LA).

Cory Schneider - 26 years old, groomed through AHL and back-up to an elite goalie in Luongo, is now looking absolutely ready for a starting role.

Anti Niemi - 28 years old, won his Cup at 26ish

Thomas - won his cup in mid 30's.

Marc-Andre Fleury - won his cup at 25.

Those are just a couple, but one thing I've seen from Cory Schneider's development is that it really seems to be the best to develop a goalie into their mid 20's before they are truly ready for a Cup run.

And if I'm Florida, I would jump at the chance of getting back Luongo for the next 4-5 years while Markstrom properly develops. Not only would he help Markstrom, he would help the entire team of young players develop by being a SOLID goaltender.

Just seems perfect for a young, rebuilding team.

I haven't really put much thought of Luongo going to Florida, always assuming Markstrom is their guy.

I totally agree about Schneider, look how he has developed behind Luongo and being groomed the right way. I would not want my goaltenders to be thrown into the fire at 20 years old if I could help it. The more they can develop and with a couple of years in the NHL, the more it is seeming beneficial to the team and to the goaltenders career.

Here's some rough positive examples:

Jonathan Quick - Always been a great goaltender, but now at 26 is having a phenomenal year (however he's been "the" guy for a while now in LA).

Cory Schneider - 26 years old, groomed through AHL and back-up to an elite goalie in Luongo, is now looking absolutely ready for a starting role.

Anti Niemi - 28 years old, won his Cup at 26ish

Thomas - won his cup in mid 30's.

Marc-Andre Fleury - won his cup at 25.

Those are just a couple, but one thing I've seen from Cory Schneider's development is that it really seems to be the best to develop a goalie into their mid 20's before they are truly ready for a Cup run.

And if I'm Florida, I would jump at the chance of getting back Luongo for the next 4-5 years while Markstrom properly develops. Not only would he help Markstrom, he would help the entire team of young players develop by being a SOLID goaltender.

Just seems perfect for a young, rebuilding team.

Luongo has control of where he goes, correct? So why in the hell would he choose Toronto, which is just as crazy if not crazier than Vancouver in terms of fans and media. Oh, and lets not forget the team there stinks. Not as bad as their record indicates, but they still aren't very good.

That is why I think all Luongo to Toronto rumours are garbage.

Dreger just said on 1040 today that Florida was the best bet for landing Lu. I would rather take the option of trying to land either Gudbrannson, Howden, Huberdeau, or Kulikov over the Leafs junk (Unless it was their 5th). Only thing is that the Panthers have Markstom and he may be ready in a couple years. An Edler-Gudbrannson would be sick though!

It makes total sense that a deal would be done at the draft, It will likely come down to Toronto's decision to give up either gardiner or their first depending who is left at that point in the draft,

If the player they covet is still available they give up Gardiner, if he has already been taken, then the 5th overall would be coming our way

(If Garrison gets signed)

For Lu and Raymond's RFA rights I'd want Bozak and Kulemin's rights plus 2nd, or Colborne plus Frattin (probably tougher to get) plus 3rd

Burr - Kes - Higgins (two play makers with grit who can also score on Kes' wings)

Frattin - Colborne - Hansen

(two tough, young customers with offensive skill to play with the Great Dane; Frattin has strong shot, Colborne's got size and is a play maker, plus this is a tough line, I'd expect contributions similar to that of the Flyers' young kids when they're ready)

or

Burr - Kes - Kulemin

Higgins - Bozak - Hansen

to give more size, skill, depth and balance. I'd be happy with either really (probably the BozaKulemin trade more).

Someone with a huge ego would love the chance to play at the centre of the hockey universe. Not like he can make them any worse and he seems to thrive on crappy teams. He on played well in Florida and was much better with us when our team was the worst. On a crappy team Lu seems to be a great fit.

Archived