Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Rumour] Fan 960 in Calgary: Luongo to Toronto done at draft

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
170 replies to this topic

#91 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

You wouldn't want Kessel? On a team that lacks secondary scoring?

You're crazy...bat**** crazy.

yeah, Whatever D-Money.
Kessel - doesn't surprise me that a Flames fan would want him. There are better options than adding a one-way, inconsistent player who is useless in his own end of the ice and isn't exactly a character player. He is the definition of a guy that highlight reel fans covet, which is why Chiarelli used him to fleece the Leafs.

I've heard the 'crazy' from you before - regarding moving Kesler for Eberle and a pick at the deadline last year. Kesler was injured for the second time in 6 months, the Canucks were preparing for a playoff grind in the prime of their "window" and Eberle wound up putting up 76 points in his second season on a bad team - can imagine what Eberle could do in Vancouver - not to mention the 4+ million in extra cap space they could have used... Eberle crazy, Kessel genius. Thanks for your input.

Edited by oldnews, 05 June 2012 - 10:58 AM.

#92 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

I doubt we'll get Gardiner or the #5 overall pick.

Kadri + Schenn wouldn't be that bad of a return IMO. Schenn gives us a steady partner for Edler, and Kadri and Schroeder can battle it out to see who gets to fill in for Kesler. Definitely makes us a much deeper team.

Schenn is 22 - the age when most young D's START their career. He has a ton of room to improve. First step would be to get him the hell away from Phaneuf (they trained together in the offseason).

Kadri is the same age as Schroeder, and so far has been heavily outproducing him at the pro level. For instance, he scored 10 points in 11 games this past playoffs with the Marlies; whereas Schroeder has only scored 9 points in the 19 postseason games over the past two seasons. Also, Kadri has 50 games of NHL experience under his belt, so he's likely far more ready to step into a regular roster spot.
Posted Image

#93 mpt

mpt

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

Kadri + Schenn wouldn't be that bad of a return IMO. Schenn gives us a steady partner for Edler, and Kadri and Schroeder can battle it out to see who gets to fill in for Kesler. Definitely makes us a much deeper team.

Schenn is 22 - the age when most young D's START their career. He has a ton of room to improve. First step would be to get him the hell away from Phaneuf (they trained together in the offseason).

Kadri is the same age as Schroeder, and so far has been heavily outproducing him at the pro level. For instance, he scored 10 points in 11 games this past playoffs with the Marlies; whereas Schroeder has only scored 9 points in the 19 postseason games over the past two seasons. Also, Kadri has 50 games of NHL experience under his belt, so he's likely far more ready to step into a regular roster spot.

I agree with you that Kadri is better than Schroeder but honestly, thats not saying much. Kadri with his size is going to have a hard time getting a spot on this team when clearly we are trying to get bigger. I'd rather get a guy like Colbourne or Ashton over Kadri. Plus, Kadri is a douchebag, his attitude stinks and he has a lot of growing up to do.

Edited by mpt, 05 June 2012 - 11:01 AM.

#94 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

I've heard the 'crazy' from you before - regarding moving Kesler for Eberle and a pick at the deadline last year.   Kesler was injured for the second time in 6 months, the Canucks were preparing for a playoff grind in the prime of their "window" and Eberle wound up putting up 76 points in his second season on a bad team - can imagine what Eberle could do in Vancouver... Eberle crazy, Kessel genius.  Thanks for your input.

And without Kesler, we don't shut down Toews, and lose to Chicago AGAIN. Or, if we past them, he doesn't single-handedly destroy the Predators.

Nevermind the fact that Kesler was a proponent for signing for less to be loyal to a team, and had recently signed an extension with an NTC. Sure, the NTC hadn't kicked in yet, but do you seriously think Gillis would stab him in the back and shatter the team image he has been working so hard to establish? And, at the end of the day, does Edmonton give up on one of their poster-boy young guns to acquire a more veteran player, with no hopes of making the playoffs?

You think that's reasonable? You do? Well then that's even MORE bat**** crazy...

Edited by D-Money, 05 June 2012 - 11:03 AM.

Posted Image

#95 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

I'm pretty sure the OP quoted me from another thread. Ha ha.
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#96 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

would rather have Colborne than Kadri - a big 6'5" kid that hits, has good hockey intelligence, and offensive upside - Kadri is a flashy guy but another smaller, softer center.

#97 Ron Swansons Moustache

Ron Swansons Moustache

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

This doesn't make sense at all to me, especially when Luongo's value keeps getting higher. Gillis is a smart man he'll wait till the draft and drive up the price.
http://Posted Image

#98 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

would rather have Colborne than Kadri - a big 6'5" kid that hits, has good hockey intelligence, and offensive upside - Kadri is a flashy guy but another smaller, softer center.

Yeah, I'd rather have Colborne too. However, Burke has been talking a lot about keeping/acquiring the type of players that fit Carlyle's system. Colborne is one of their only solid prospects who fits that mold.

They already have the skilled guy in Grabovski, and made a commitment to keeping him, which makes Kadri a likely guy to be dealt. And at this point, we shouldn't turn our nose up at any center with top-6 potential.
Posted Image

#99 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

And without Kesler, we don't shut down Toews, and lose to Chicago AGAIN. Or, if we past them, he doesn't single-handedly destroy the Predators.

Nevermind the fact that Kesler was a proponent for signing for less to be loyal to a team, and had recently signed an extension with an NTC. Sure, the NTC hadn't kicked in yet, but do you seriously think Gillis would stab him in the back and shatter the team image he has been working so hard to establish? And, at the end of the day, does Edmonton give up on one of their poster-boy young guns to acquire a more veteran player, with no hopes of making the playoffs?

You think that's reasonable? You do? Well then that's even MORE bat**** crazy...

what are you talking about? stab him in the back - that is crazy nonsense - he signed that 5 million contract before he was worth it and then he earned it - it wasn't a hometown discount signing like the Sedins, etc. Kesler is 27 - not an aging veteran, and exactly what the Oilers need. Leadership and grit, and a center. Shut down role should not come down to Kesler - hence the addition of Pahlsson. The team image? Kesler hasn't exactly been the poster boy for that.
I think the best place for Kessel is on the Laffs, or in the definition of over-rated thread.

#100 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

One last thing...

yeah, Whatever D-Money.
Kessel - doesn't surprise me that a Flames fan would want him.

Who's the Flames fan? I loathe them to the very core.

Edited by D-Money, 05 June 2012 - 11:11 AM.

Posted Image

#101 Grape

Grape

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

You are awesome Samjam

mj761l.jpg0007.gif0007.gif0007.gif0007.gif  

Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

Don't Click!

#102 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

Yeah, I'd rather have Colborne too. However, Burke has been talking a lot about keeping/acquiring the type of players that fit Carlyle's system. Colborne is one of their only solid prospects who fits that mold.

They already have the skilled guy in Grabovski, and made a commitment to keeping him, which makes Kadri a likely guy to be dealt. And at this point, we shouldn't turn our nose up at any center with top-6 potential.

I'm not concerned with what the Leafs consider to be their leftovers - if Colborne is not one of the pieces they are willing to part with, they can sweat it out with another project goalie - they are not in a position of strength to be taking the only players we would want out of the talks.

I could see adding Kadri in order to flip him again, but not the kind of player I want to see projected into our future top six.

Edited by oldnews, 05 June 2012 - 11:22 AM.

#103 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

One last thing...

Who's the Flames fan? I loathe them to the very core.

ok well that changes things.... ::D

#104 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

what are you talking about? stab him in the back - that is crazy nonsense - he signed that 5 million contract before he was worth it and then he earned it - it wasn't a hometown discount signing like the Sedins, etc.  Kesler is 27 - not an aging veteran, and exactly what the Oilers need.  Leadership and grit, and a center.  Shut down role should not come down to Kesler - hence the addition of Pahlsson. The team image?  Kesler hasn't exactly been the poster boy for that.
I think the best place for Kessel is on the Laffs, or in the definition of over-rated thread.

So the Sedins, coming off of 82-point seasons, sign for 6.1, and it's a huge hometown discount.

But Kesler, coming off of a 75-point season and placing 2nd in Selke trophy voting, signing for 5, a year later and with a higher cap, was not a discount at all?

Seriously, you're way out to lunch here. Kesler was an absolute monster of a player, who has been hobbled by injuries. Thing is, his attitude and work ethic have propelled him to overcome injuries and defy expectations in the past, and I expect that it will happen again. Like you said - he's not an old player. And he DID take a paycut - he's loyal to this team. I would not trade him - certainly not for anything we could get for him in his injured state (no way would Edmonton trade Eberle, btw).

Edited by D-Money, 05 June 2012 - 11:22 AM.

Posted Image

#105 mpt

mpt

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

Have you seen Colbourne actually play? He plays pretty soft for a big kid. He's a solid two-way centre, but I don't know if he has top 6 in him. I think he'll turn out to be a Stoll at his best. On the other hand, I don't want anything to do with Kadri.

#106 McMucus

McMucus

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

Please god save us from Kadri!!!

#107 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

Have you seen Colbourne actually play? He plays pretty soft for a big kid. He's a solid two-way centre, but I don't know if he has top 6 in him. I think he'll turn out to be a Stoll at his best. On the other hand, I don't want anything to do with Kadri.

I have seen Colborne play - he is not Dustin Brown by any stretch of the imagination - but he does use his size effectively, and as you say is a solid two way guy - I honestly don't see anyone else in the Leafs system that I am itching to see in a Canucks uniform - I'd rather see Luongo go to Columbus and Johansen come back to Vancouver, but where Toronto is concerned, there is only so much to work with. If Colborne were a Stoll, that would not be so bad, particularly as part of a package with another prospect and pick.

#108 mpt

mpt

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:33 AM

I have seen Colborne play - he is not Dustin Brown by any stretch of the imagination - but he does use his size effectively, and as you say is a solid two way guy - I honestly don't see anyone else in the Leafs system that I am itching to see in a Canucks uniform - I'd rather see Luongo go to Columbus and Johansen come back to Vancouver, but where Toronto is concerned, there is only so much to work with. If Colborne were a Stoll, that would not be so bad, particularly as part of a package with another prospect and pick.

Yea, he uses his frame well to protect the puck, he doesn't throw his weight around as much as he should. Ashton, Biggs, Colbourne are the only toronto forwards that interest me. Schenn i feel would be a great pickup. He has so much to learn and he's been stuck with a guy like Phaneuf for a mentor, no wonder he's struggling. Put Schenn on a team with the character players we have here and he'll turn into a solid hard nose physical defenseman.

#109 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

So the Sedins, coming off of 82-point seasons, sign for 6.1, and it's a huge hometown discount.

But Kesler, coming off of a 75-point season and placing 2nd in Selke trophy voting, signing for 5, a year later and with a higher cap, was not a discount at all?

Seriously, you're way out to lunch here. Kesler was an absolute monster of a player, who has been hobbled by injuries. Thing is, his attitude and work ethic have propelled him to overcome injuries and defy expectations in the past, and I expect that it will happen again. Like you said - he's not an old player. And he DID take a paycut - he's loyal to this team. I would not trade him - certainly not for anything we could get for him in his injured state (no way would Edmonton trade Eberle, btw).

I am not devaluing Kesler - I love the way he plays, I like the chip on his shoulder and I am hoping his injuries don't get in the way of his career - but there is a slight contradiction there to say that it is crazy to suggest acquiring Eberle, and then there is no way Edmonton would let go of him...Kesler's injuries were not as apparent at the deadline. I think that would have been a good hockey trade - and the 4 million could have come in handy. But regardless, I am glad we moved Hodgson instead, big time. I don't think the Sedins 6.1 is a huge discount, nor Kesler's 5 million. I think Kessel at 5.4 is an overpayment.

But I stray from the topic - no thanks to Kessel. No thanks to Kadri - and Schenn, (at $3.6 million I am not sure I want him in the way of signing a Garrison and/or Schultz), but as a big right handed kid who hits and blocks shots, he might not be the worst risk - if he were to meet his potential playing with an intelligent partner in Vancouver that one could turn out alright.

Edited by oldnews, 05 June 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#110 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:43 AM

I really want to see a 3rd line of Kassian-Colborne-Hansen
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#111 mpt

mpt

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

I am not devaluing Kesler - I love the way he plays, I like the chip on his shoulder and I am hoping his injuries don't get in the way of his career - but there is a slight contradiction there to say that it is crazy to suggest acquiring Eberle, and then there is no way Edmonton would let go of him...Kesler's injuries were not as apparent at the deadline. I think that would have been a good hockey trade - and the 4 million could have come in handy. But regardless, I am glad we moved Hodgson instead, big time.

My biggest fear is that Kesler continues to struggle and he gets another "pass" because people will say, "well its sad that his career was wrecked by injury". The fact is, injuring your hip/shoulder doesn't effect your ability to pass and utilize your teammates. His shot looked fine too me, it was his poor decisions that led to Keslers bad season. Just like AV said, there is more to his performance than his injury.

#112 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,283 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

Maybe a guy like John Micael Liles for our powerplay.

Subbancopy.jpg

#113 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

Dreger just said on 1040 today that Florida was the best bet for landing Lu. I would rather take the option of trying to land either Gudbrannson, Howden, Huberdeau, or Kulikov over the Leafs junk (Unless it was their 5th). Only thing is that the Panthers have Markstom and he may be ready in a couple years. An Edler-Gudbrannson would be sick though!

Edited by JohnLennon, 05 June 2012 - 12:13 PM.

#114 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:54 AM

My biggest fear is that Kesler continues to struggle and he gets another "pass" because people will say, "well its sad that his career was wrecked by injury". The fact is, injuring your hip/shoulder doesn't effect your ability to pass and utilize your teammates. His shot looked fine too me, it was his poor decisions that led to Keslers bad season. Just like AV said, there is more to his performance than his injury.

I am one of those people who can live with a guy scoring 22 goals as opposed to the 41 a seaon ago - if he plays some hard-ass hockey without the puck - which Kesler always does. I agree with the way AV coaches in this regard - if you don't backcheck hard, you belong in the AHL at best - I want a team of two-way players (with only one pair of Twins being the exception, and their defensive game is improving as well).

I would only move him if a serious marquis player comes back - I just happen to think Eberle has an intangible that very few players have - and have wanted him in a Canucks jersey since I saw him at the WJC, but as D-Money says, I think it's too late for that - the guy has emerged.

#115 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

I really want to see a 3rd line of Kassian-Colborne-Hansen

yes. I could live with that too.

#116 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

That should be interesting. Let's see if it actually happens.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#117 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

These well known analysts didn't see the Booth, Kassian trades coming. They are very weak with their intel re: Canucks.

From what I remember, because Dreger is related to Nonis (cousins?), he was quite critical of the process that went into hiring Mike Gillis. It is possible that Gillis has made an effort to keep those who he feels have targeted him from having any kind of 'inside access' to the team.

Larscheid rubbed Gillis the wrong way and he ended up off the air (as the rumour has it).

CDC is lucky to have such brilliant scouts:

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#118 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

Why would a team send a star player to one of the weakest teams for a bunch of the players they don't want.Howd that turn out for Calgary?Stay away from Burke.

#119 Stix

Stix

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

Don't undersell Luongo, Schenn and Komisarek couldn't even crack the lineup in Toronto on occasion, i'd be upset with either of them in a deal. If he is going to TO, I would expect either Kadri or Colborne in a package. Gunnerson is overrated, as are most players playing in T-dot.

Ballard > Komisarek
Ballard > Schenn

If anything, Pittsburgh has only helped us by adding Vokoun. Pittsburgh is showing teams that these days, a number 1 goalie just isn't good enough, which proves that more teams might think about stepping up to add quality goaltending depth. Gone are the days of inexperienced or washed up vets as backups.

#120 Stix

Stix

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

Why would a team send a star player to one of the weakest teams for a bunch of the players they don't want.Howd that turn out for Calgary?Stay away from Burke.

You my friend are speaking truth.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.