The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I love this team going in the 2012- 2013 season.

Evil Roach

There is no way whatsoever we keep both Luongo and Schneider. I think it is highly unlikely that Luongo will be here next year, but if he is, it means we got a far better package for Schneider and I'd be comfortable with that.

One would guess that whatever comes back from our goalie trade will shore up areas that needed it. However, I would not be surprised to see MG make another trade or two in order to improve our lineup. As it stands, I still think a big power forward to play with the Sedins would benefit us. That would have a trickle-down effect as Burrows moves to the 2nd line with Kesler and Booth, and Higgins Lapierre/Malhotra and Hansen sit on the 3rd. At that point, I imagine the blueline is the only other place that needs a bit of work.

I believe that we have the core players we need going forward - though like I said, 1 top tier power forward and 1 real good dman wouldn't hurt.

This team is good enough to go far, but it seems like every year Canuck fans like to say "It's the year" and it still has not occurred.

The team needs another top 4 defenseman, I was very upset when we couldn't obtain one last season but who could blame Gillis? Every team needs these players and they're hard to come by unless you overpay for one.

I'd like to see us add some players with a bit more offensive upside. Defense is good, but at the end of the day, you need to the puck in the back of the net. Size is good, but size without skill is useless. Size with speed and a good forechecker would be amazing.

it's a good team but it faces all the same problems, I wouldn't be too happy if changes weren't made after a embarrassing exit in the playoffs which just isn't acceptable. This team coasted all season and because of amazing goaltending and our weak division we were able to place #1, I don't like the message this sends to the players that last year it was ok for the forwards to take the year off and then for them to not show up in the playoffs. No matter how we slice it getting bounced in the 1st round isn't acceptable and isn't defendable, IMHO changes need to happen.

This team is good enough to go far, but it seems like every year Canuck fans like to say "It's the year" and it still has not occurred.

The team needs another top 4 defenseman, I was very upset when we couldn't obtain one last season but who could blame Gillis? Every team needs these players and they're hard to come by unless you overpay for one.

I'd like to see us add some players with a bit more offensive upside. Defense is good, but at the end of the day, you need to the puck in the back of the net. Size is good, but size without skill is useless. Size with speed and a good forechecker would be amazing.

Our team is more than good enough to make another run for the cup next season. We have plenty of speed and skill; although, we lack size (with skill) and youth in out top 9. If we meet a Big, defensive team with a good goalie again in the playoffs next year we will have a very hard time beating them unless we get bigger aswell. Were we more skilled than L.A. this year and Boston last year? I would say yes IMO, but what happened in those series? We got beat up and run over. Please don't let that happen again MG...

It's funny how people make excuses for Keslers play and blame the injury, yet Raymond's injury was far worse. Especially when a hip injury doesn't effect your ability to pass and distribute the puck and a back injury definitely impairs your core strength which is the primary control of balance.

I am more than comfortable going in next season with the team we have right now. I feel like every canucks fan out there is looking for that blockbuster trade or that massive signing this off season. I'm not saying that if those things happened, I would disapproved it. I'm simply saying the team we have right now is still the back to back presidents champion.

After an early first round exit, the boys will be extra motivated for next season.

With:

Alain Vigneault: Best coach in Canucks history. The man that has more wins than any other bench boss in franchise history

Henrik and Daniel Sedin: Will go down in franchise history as two of the best players to have ever put on the Canucks jersey.

Ryan Kesler: The man who can be a first line centre for another team. A leader by example. Single handedly made Carey Underwood cry.

Alex Burrows: The heart and soul of the team. 2 mil for a 30 goal scorer..enough said.

David Booth: The former 30 goal scorer showed glimpse of brilliants last season. Played only 56 games last season and had 16 goals. You just have to wonder if he can reach 25+ goals in a healthy season.

Alexander Edler: All-star defence man that had a 49 point season. And oh yeah, he's only 26.

Kevin Bieksa: This crazy dude just plays with his heart.

Dan Hamhuis: BC born that's steady and reliable. Finally played a full season and had 37 points. Lead the team with a +29.

Mason Raymond: Coming back from a serious injury, this guy struggled last season. Having a healthy offseason this year tells me a comeback year is about to happen.

Jannik Hansen: Showed us all how speed actually kills. Had 16 goals last season and 39 points while jumping back in forth to the 3rd and 4th line. Makes you wonder, do we have another 20 goal scoring checker?

Chris Higgins: Dude had 43 points in 71 games last season. Maybe coming back to his 08-09 form where he scored 27 goals with the habs.

Manny Maholtra: Dude coming back from an eye surgery. Hope he takes a pay cut to resign and be that guy in the middle of the 4th line.

Sami Salo: Nothing needs to be said.

Dale Wease: Only 23. This guy will mature and will get better.

Zack Kassian: Dude looks scary. I hope he can take all our crap and prove us all wrong. If the dude is not motivated about what was said about him last season, don't know what will. Kassian coming out party 2012?

Maxim Lapierre: This guy actually has some skills when he shuts up. In my mind a perfect 4th liner.

Roberto Luongo: Best goaltender in franchise history, will go down to be one of the best goalies to ever play the game. Olympic gold-medalist.

Cory Schneider: Goalie of the future. Future superstar.

I will not be dissapointed if GM MG can not make any splash this offseason. The team is still going to be better than 95% of the league.

If a trade or no trade happens, I will still love this team.

I'M IN LOVE WITH THIS TEAM :wub:

Way too much positivity for me to handle.

-Vigneault is a great regular season coach, however, he's a TERRIBLE playoff coach. He should not have been re-signed

-Raymond is a bum. Too bad so sad about his injury, but I want the Canucks to win the cup, not deal with a sob story

-Edler proved in the playoffs that he has been ridiculously overrated as the next great defensemen on the Canucks.

-Malhotra has to go, he's old news

-Trading Hodgson for Kassian was a terrible move. It made the team A LOT WORSE going into a playoffs where we were considered one of the favourites. Maybe he'll pan out, but that's likely to happen AFTER the Canucks window of winning the cup is shut

-Either Luongo or Schneider have to be traded for someone that can make an immediate impact. The team as it stands now will be lucky to get out of the first round next year. They need a top 6 forward or top 3 d-man.

Cudos to your optimism, but it's founded in blindness

I agree with a lot of the first post, but I'm really bothered that only four of our defensemen are listed. That means we're playing a bunch of ice time without any D. How can we win like that? :)

Obviously we have enough D men to ice a proper team, but it's no secret that we need a bit of an upgrade back there.

Probably gonna see some small moves in the offseason, might see something big with one of the goalies, but all we really need to do is fill some gaps, not rebuild everything.

It's funny how people make excuses for Keslers play and blame the injury, yet Raymond's injury was far worse. Especially when a hip injury doesn't effect your ability to pass and distribute the puck and a back injury definitely impairs your core strength which is the primary control of balance.

I'm not making excuses for Kesler. But Raymond had all off season and the first part of the season to recover. Raymond's back was obviously well enough where he could actually play hockey. If he wasn't ready, they wouldn't have played him for 50 games. There's no excuse there. Either his back is well enough where he can endure the grind of NHL hockey and travel or it's not.

Raymond scores 25 goals in 09-10. Break out season. Had an okay run those following playoffs with 3 goals and 4 points. He returns in the 10-11 season, has a huge drop off with only 15 goals. He follows that regular season drop off by TWO goals in 24 playoff games throughout the entire Canucks run. Is that production of a speedy top nine winger or a fourth line plug? Breaks his back in game 6 against the Bruins. Goes through rehab and recovery. He's medically cleared to play about 30 games into the 11-12 season. He accumulates 50 games and 10 goals, 3 of which came in his first seven games. That means he had two goals in his 43 remaining games. 48 if you count his dud of a series against the Kings. But who wasn't a dud against them anyway?

What exactly is there to defend here?

This team cannot remain status quo. They lack the killer instinct. AV won't use all 4 lines.

When Boston beat Tampa to get into the SCF...I knew the Nucks had lower odds to win the cup. Cuz Boston had a hot goalie in Thomas and got contributions from all 4 lines.

This year...I hoped Nucks would face San Jose cuz I knew Big Joe would choke every year like he always does. And to avoid LA who has a hot goalie in Quick who had 10 shutouts in the regular season...and 3-4 in the playoffs?? Unreal.

No. If this team wants to win the cup...they need to make some changes.

If we keep this team the same I'm not even renewing center ice next year. I'm sick and tired of watching the revolving door of depth players playing on any which line on any given night. No wonder AV looks like an idiot half the time, he's only got one line and the rest are grinders. I'm glad we got a good dressing room but frankly that doesn't mean jack squat if you don't win. We need more than 3 top 6 players FFS. One scoring line and 3 checking lines ... lame.

This was fine when we were just a medicore team. We're spending to the cap (we are one of the richest teams), I expect a bunch of players that can deliver, not a group of nice guys that all work hard, are smart, are good people, blah blah blah Gillis. It's a hockey team, get us some us some God damn f'cn top calibre f'ckn players already.

Alright I feel better.

How about for once, we don't expect to win next year?

Every year before the season, there's a "preview" for our Canucks team that make us look superior on paper and Stanley Cup winners however there are always unforeseen events that are unexpected which make our team crumble. (Daniel Sedin injury).

So please everyone, stop saying "This is the year" every single season and just live in the moment....

The Canucks will make another memorable run and finally win the cup when people in Vancouver least expect it.

Guest BuckFoston

Ok, so you like Boston and LA over Vancouver. Boston went out in the first round, same as Vancouver. LA was mediocre going down the stretch and scraped into the playoffs. Only Kopitar was having a half decent season with 25 goals. Williams, Brown, and Doughty... all who are having a great playoffs... had average (for them) regular seasons. Jeff Carter and Mike Richards are having a resurgence in their careers after being traded to the Kings. Dustin Penner, who did virtually nothing all year, is playing great. How do you predict this? It's easy to like them now that they are destroying every team on their way to the Stanley Cup. Would you have 'liked them' at the start... or even the end... of the season? Would you have preferred Vancouver getting into the playoffs the way LA did?

You may discredit the Canucks and their back to back President's trophy, but I still like them. Yes, it's disappointing that they didn't meet their potential, but the trophies are an indicator that they are still a solid team. They only need some fine tuning. They are still among the top few teams in the league, and I'll take it.

PS. And oh, you might want to change your moniker... VuckFancouver?

Archived