The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Blue Jackets looking to add possibly a number 1 goalie.

Although the Blue Jackets have two netminders under contract for next season, the Columbus Dispatch reports GM Scott Howson is looking to make significant changes in between the pipes this summer.

Howson has made it clear that he is looking to strip Steve Mason of his starting role, and the GM also admitted to be looking to add three more netminders in the future to have five goalies under contract in the organization.

Howson was reportedly not looking to sign Curtis Sanford as one of them, as the 32-year-old agreed to a one-year contract with Yaroslavl Lokomotiv of KHL on Monday.

The GM wasn't disappointed to hear that Washington Capitals veteran goalie Tomas Vokoun had signed with the Pittsburgh Penguins either, allegedly having little interest in acquiring the 35-year-old.

Though Howson has not completely shut the door on Mason, it is believed that the 24-year-old will be kept as a backup or be placed on waivers and perhaps eventually sent down to the minors.

Mason, who struggled mightily in the season, posting a .894 save percentage and 3.39 goals-against-average, is not likely to get traded due to his $3.2 million cap hit next season and his poor performance.

As for youngster Allen York, the 22-year-old performed well in the 11 games he started in at the NHL level, posting a .920 save percentage and 2.30 goals-against-average, but isn't likely to be trusted with the heavy workload of a starting netminder just yet.

The Springfield Falcons of the AHL are also targeting York to play for them next season, which is expected to be more beneficial to the young goalie.

"We see him as (an organizational) No. 3 or No. 4 at this point in his career," Howson said.

While Howson keeps looking for a netminder, many could suggest the possibility of chasing after Vancouver Canucks' Roberto Luongo, who is willing to waive his no-trade clause.

However, his 10-year contract at a $5.33 million cap hit is most likely too much of an obstacle for the Jackets, while Luongo is not expected to agree to move to Columbus as the Jackets haven't been much of a contender in the past several seasons.

Howson could have a look at Nashville Predators' backup Anders Lindback, who is slated for restricted free agency this summer, though an inter-division trade could be challenging.

Meanwhile, Los Angeles Kings' backup Jonathan Bernier could also be a good option, though Howson has never expressed a great deal of interest for the 23-year-old.

The GM could also look into Philadelphia Flyers' Sergei Bobrovsky, who is not expected to be brought back, Toronto Maple Leafs' Jonas Gustavsson, Minnesota Wild's Josh Harding, Florida Panthers' Scott Clemmensen and the New York Rangers' Martin Biron.

http://www.thefourth.../cbj120605.html

I personally don't see luongo waiving his ntc to go there. But again, weirder things have happened. I could see Lindback, Bernier going there for the right price. But then, I was wondering if Howson would give Clemmensen or Biron a shot at the starting position or even do a 50/50 with Mason.

Thoughts??

I think Bernier is over-rated. He had a chance at the IIHF to play for Canada, but didn't play lights out or anything. I mean yea, he's young and has potential to be a number 1 goalie, but doesn't necessarily mean he'll hold up for the 82 game schedule.

Columbus are in dire straits. They have no goaltending, a mediocre defense, a young inexperienced forward corps, and their best player - and captain - wants to leave. Why on earth would ANY player want to go there? Lu will not be moving there, we can all agree.

Hmm, they could probably trade down the draft, get a pretty decent return and a later draft pick, then pick Malcolm Subban. From what I hear had he been chosen to play at the World Juniors he could have been challenging for 1st overall and is going to be a steal for whoever gets him.

Just a thought, though I think they'd have to go sooner than 18th as I'd figure either Chicago would take him or the Lightning at 19th. Could be a step in the right direction for a team that really doesn't have any hope to be successful in the near future.

Hmm, they could probably trade down the draft, get a pretty decent return and a later draft pick, then pick Malcolm Subban. From what I hear had he been chosen to play at the World Juniors he could have been challenging for 1st overall and is going to be a steal for whoever gets him.

Just a thought, though I think they'd have to go sooner than 18th as I'd figure either Chicago would take him or the Lightning at 19th. Could be a step in the right direction for a team that really doesn't have any hope to be successful in the near future.

I think the Jackets would be looking for someone younger than Louie. I'm sure they'd love to have Schneider, but I don't know if even the 2nd overall pick would get it done for MG...

...maybe if Howson threw in Brassard or Colton Gillies or John Moore....

This is the equivalent to:

- (Rumour) Jonathon Quick expected to be Kings' starting goaltender next year.

- (Rumour) Tim Thomas and the Bruins management may not have the best relationship.

- (Rumour) Water is wet.

Archived