Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bure's triple deke

[Article] The road to Stanley goes through Vancouver

31 posts in this topic

If we did not get lucky against Chicago last year...

Forget 89 Calgary beat them and won the Cup

93 Kings beat the Canucks 4-2 and lost in the Finals

If Chicago did not get lucky against us last year...

I have been kinda saying this... If the devils win tomorrow, we will have lost to the best playoff team in NHL history (tied with the oilers)... And we will have handed them one of their two losses. I can deal with that.

If we did not get lucky against Chicago last year...

Interestingly, those teams that lost to non-champions in 03, 04, and 09 were probably the best Canucks teams on that list, with the exceptions of the ones that made it to the Finals.

Time for a Norris trophy D man > The missing link! <_<

Don't give a rats a**...about who plays the Canucks and wins the Cup. I'm not satisfied until the Canucks win the Cup! Next article.

It just shows that the Canucks still have work to do. This team like San Jose and Washington are built for the regular season not the playoffs. Like I have said before the regular season means nothing outside of where you seat. The Kings have proved that this year. Just get in the playoffs is what counts, make tyhe right moves, a hot goalie and a bit of luck. I think all of us here would trade in all those beat'in by the eventual SC winner for one SC win.

I was just having a discussion about this very topic moments before reading this thread. It sure does feel like this happens way too often. I think part of the problem is that for the past 20 years+, the west has been generally stronger than the east, and thus harder to reach the finals. If you put Detroit in the East (where they belong, according to my maps) 20 years ago, you'd see them in the finals representing the east probably at least half of those years.

The road to Stanley goes through Vancouver

http://burestriplede...-vancouver.html

With the L.A. Kings up 3-0 in the Stanley Cup Finals, it looks like any remaining games against New Jersey in this series are all but a formality. Congulations Dustin Brown and company for rendering the entire 82-game regular season schedule utterly useless. When the Kings win their 16th win of the post-season in the next few days or so, they will become the first team in NHL history to win the Stanley Cup as an eighth seed. A supremely impressive stat.

However, implicit in that achievement, another almost equally baffling story continues to develop. Eighteen years in the making, it goes as follows: Teams that beat the Vancouver Canucks in the playoffs go on to win the Stanley Cup at a 73% success rate. Of the 11 times the Canucks have qualified for the post-season since 1994, they were ousted by the eventual champions on eight occasions. More recently, if you jump the gun like the rest of the hockey world and include the L.A. Kings, the rate increases to 100% in the past three years. If you're a team planning your championship parade route, make sure it includes a stop in Vancouver.

road+to+stanley.jpg

But what does it all mean, Basil? Besides the obvious Messier curse, nothing of major significance, really. However, it does say something about the nature of Vancouver's latest playoff disappointments. For the better part of a decade, the Canucks have developed into somewhat of a perennial contender. Since the team's liberation from mediocrity circa 2004 (thank you, Markus Naslund), Vancouver has been chosen on several occasions as a Cup favourite. But despite the quasi-annual hype – peaking around the lockout and again in the past two years – the team has but one measly trip beyond the second round since then to boast of. As a result, the prevailing widsom surrounding this group has often been that they cannot play to expectations in the post-season.

I understand this requires a certain kind of perspective, but when you consider just how often the Canucks' conquerors go on to prove their ultimate worth, the average fans' yearly pill of disappointment becomes at least a little easier to swallow. On the record, Gillis begs to differ (for presumably professional reasons), but the team's first-round exit this season doestake on a different meaning now, given L.A.'s success. Imagine the Kings went on to be swept by the Blues. Or that the Flames' semi-upset of Vancouver didn't result in them becoming Western Conference champions in 2004. Logically, those losses become far more dubious.

So take solace Canuckland; take it wherever you can. Ultimately, it's not much more than a briefly interesting stat you look at and go "Huh." But the off-season is long and not every team can use "we were beaten by the best" as an annual excuse 7.3 times out of 10. For all the glass-half-fullers out there, you're welcome. Take it and run! For the rest of you, sorry I even brought it up...

-HC

maybe teams that beat canucks make bettmen happy? so then he lets them go to the finals???? TINFOIL PLEASE!!!

Tired of it.

Want a ???? Cup already.