Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Article] The road to Stanley goes through Vancouver

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 bure's triple deke

bure's triple deke

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:04 PM

The road to Stanley goes through Vancouver
http://burestriplede...-vancouver.html

With the L.A. Kings up 3-0 in the Stanley Cup Finals, it looks like any remaining games against New Jersey in this series are all but a formality. Congulations Dustin Brown and company for rendering the entire 82-game regular season schedule utterly useless. When the Kings win their 16th win of the post-season in the next few days or so, they will become the first team in NHL history to win the Stanley Cup as an eighth seed. A supremely impressive stat.

However, implicit in that achievement, another almost equally baffling story continues to develop. Eighteen years in the making, it goes as follows: Teams that beat the Vancouver Canucks in the playoffs go on to win the Stanley Cup at a 73% success rate. Of the 11 times the Canucks have qualified for the post-season since 1994, they were ousted by the eventual champions on eight occasions. More recently, if you jump the gun like the rest of the hockey world and include the L.A. Kings, the rate increases to 100% in the past three years. If you're a team planning your championship parade route, make sure it includes a stop in Vancouver.

Posted Image

But what does it all mean, Basil? Besides the obvious Messier curse, nothing of major significance, really. However, it does say something about the nature of Vancouver's latest playoff disappointments. For the better part of a decade, the Canucks have developed into somewhat of a perennial contender. Since the team's liberation from mediocrity circa 2004 (thank you, Markus Naslund), Vancouver has been chosen on several occasions as a Cup favourite. But despite the quasi-annual hype – peaking around the lockout and again in the past two years – the team has but one measly trip beyond the second round since then to boast of. As a result, the prevailing widsom surrounding this group has often been that they cannot play to expectations in the post-season.

I understand this requires a certain kind of perspective, but when you consider just how often the Canucks' conquerors go on to prove their ultimate worth, the average fans' yearly pill of disappointment becomes at least a little easier to swallow. On the record, Gillis begs to differ (for presumably professional reasons), but the team's first-round exit this season doestake on a different meaning now, given L.A.'s success. Imagine the Kings went on to be swept by the Blues. Or that the Flames' semi-upset of Vancouver didn't result in them becoming Western Conference champions in 2004. Logically, those losses become far more dubious.

So take solace Canuckland; take it wherever you can. Ultimately, it's not much more than a briefly interesting stat you look at and go "Huh." But the off-season is long and not every team can use "we were beaten by the best" as an annual excuse 7.3 times out of 10. For all the glass-half-fullers out there, you're welcome. Take it and run! For the rest of you, sorry I even brought it up...

-HC

#2 Not Alain Vigneault

Not Alain Vigneault

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

#3 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,581 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

:bored:
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#4 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,890 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

If we did not get lucky against Chicago last year...

#5 BRAVEMAN91

BRAVEMAN91

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

Forget 89 Calgary beat them and won the Cup
93 Kings beat the Canucks 4-2 and lost in the Finals
Posted Image

Follow Me on Twitter: @braveman91
Checkout my Canuck videos on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/braveman91

#6 canucktican

canucktican

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

Cool Story bro! ::D

#7 WolfxHaley

WolfxHaley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

If Chicago did not get lucky against us last year...

Posted Image

#8 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

I have been kinda saying this... If the devils win tomorrow, we will have lost to the best playoff team in NHL history (tied with the oilers)... And we will have handed them one of their two losses. I can deal with that.

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#9 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,825 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

If we did not get lucky against Chicago last year...

Chicago got lucky. If Torres' steamrolling of Seabrook hadn't given them their rallying cry, the series is over far earlier.

As it was, the Canucks completely outplayed the 'Hawks in game seven. For whatever reason, Vancouver couldn't bury the goal to give themselves a two-goal cushion.

But whatever. If you want to play "what if", what if Hammer doesn't injure himself? Maybe we're not talking about a loss to the eventual champion anymore...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#10 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

Interestingly, those teams that lost to non-champions in 03, 04, and 09 were probably the best Canucks teams on that list, with the exceptions of the ones that made it to the Finals.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#11 John Garret's moustache

John Garret's moustache

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

...Stanley... Park?
Posted Image

Thanks to Vintage Canuck. for the sick Zeppelin sig!

#12 bure's triple deke

bure's triple deke

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

Forget 89 Calgary beat them and won the Cup
93 Kings beat the Canucks 4-2 and lost in the Finals

Yah, good call. I didn't forget those, I just chose to start with 94 to make the stat look a little beefier lol. There's obviously also the 82 Islanders. If my count is right, the success rate of teams that beat the Canucks all-time is 40% (10 times of 25). Still quite fascinating, actually. Wonder how that stacks up against the rest of the NHL... Future post/addendum, I suppose.

Chicago got lucky. If Torres' steamrolling of Seabrook hadn't given them their rallying cry, the series is over far earlier.

As it was, the Canucks completely outplayed the 'Hawks in game seven. For whatever reason, Vancouver couldn't bury the goal to give themselves a two-goal cushion.

But whatever. If you want to play "what if", what if Hammer doesn't injure himself? Maybe we're not talking about a loss to the eventual champion anymore...

You're right, that is veering a little off topic, but interesting nonetheless! The "what if" game is, however, a slippery slope...

Interestingly, those teams that lost to non-champions in 03, 04, and 09 were probably the best Canucks teams on that list, with the exceptions of the ones that made it to the Finals.

Good call. I'd say the loss to the Wild in 03 was the worst of the lot.

#13 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

...Stanley... Park?

Time to get rid of it.

There can only be one Stanley in Vancouver.

#14 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,045 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

Time for a Norris trophy D man > The missing link! <_<

#15 Puck'nAnimal

Puck'nAnimal

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

Don't give a rats a**...about who plays the Canucks and wins the Cup. I'm not satisfied until the Canucks win the Cup! Next article.

gallery_80434_550_54175.jpg

Win It For Gino in 2016! (a guy can hope)

#16 BenSurgeon

BenSurgeon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

It just shows that the Canucks still have work to do. This team like San Jose and Washington are built for the regular season not the playoffs. Like I have said before the regular season means nothing outside of where you seat. The Kings have proved that this year. Just get in the playoffs is what counts, make tyhe right moves, a hot goalie and a bit of luck. I think all of us here would trade in all those beat'in by the eventual SC winner for one SC win.
Ben Surgeon

#17 Slegr

Slegr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

I was just having a discussion about this very topic moments before reading this thread. It sure does feel like this happens way too often. I think part of the problem is that for the past 20 years+, the west has been generally stronger than the east, and thus harder to reach the finals. If you put Detroit in the East (where they belong, according to my maps) 20 years ago, you'd see them in the finals representing the east probably at least half of those years.
"I knew we had a great team. I told everyone if we play as a group, we can win it all. Everyone laughed. Now we're laughing."
-Jiri Slegr

#18 Gino Odjick

Gino Odjick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

The road to Stanley goes through Vancouver
http://burestriplede...-vancouver.html

With the L.A. Kings up 3-0 in the Stanley Cup Finals, it looks like any remaining games against New Jersey in this series are all but a formality. Congulations Dustin Brown and company for rendering the entire 82-game regular season schedule utterly useless. When the Kings win their 16th win of the post-season in the next few days or so, they will become the first team in NHL history to win the Stanley Cup as an eighth seed. A supremely impressive stat.

However, implicit in that achievement, another almost equally baffling story continues to develop. Eighteen years in the making, it goes as follows: Teams that beat the Vancouver Canucks in the playoffs go on to win the Stanley Cup at a 73% success rate. Of the 11 times the Canucks have qualified for the post-season since 1994, they were ousted by the eventual champions on eight occasions. More recently, if you jump the gun like the rest of the hockey world and include the L.A. Kings, the rate increases to 100% in the past three years. If you're a team planning your championship parade route, make sure it includes a stop in Vancouver.

Posted Image

But what does it all mean, Basil? Besides the obvious Messier curse, nothing of major significance, really. However, it does say something about the nature of Vancouver's latest playoff disappointments. For the better part of a decade, the Canucks have developed into somewhat of a perennial contender. Since the team's liberation from mediocrity circa 2004 (thank you, Markus Naslund), Vancouver has been chosen on several occasions as a Cup favourite. But despite the quasi-annual hype – peaking around the lockout and again in the past two years – the team has but one measly trip beyond the second round since then to boast of. As a result, the prevailing widsom surrounding this group has often been that they cannot play to expectations in the post-season.

I understand this requires a certain kind of perspective, but when you consider just how often the Canucks' conquerors go on to prove their ultimate worth, the average fans' yearly pill of disappointment becomes at least a little easier to swallow. On the record, Gillis begs to differ (for presumably professional reasons), but the team's first-round exit this season doestake on a different meaning now, given L.A.'s success. Imagine the Kings went on to be swept by the Blues. Or that the Flames' semi-upset of Vancouver didn't result in them becoming Western Conference champions in 2004. Logically, those losses become far more dubious.

So take solace Canuckland; take it wherever you can. Ultimately, it's not much more than a briefly interesting stat you look at and go "Huh." But the off-season is long and not every team can use "we were beaten by the best" as an annual excuse 7.3 times out of 10. For all the glass-half-fullers out there, you're welcome. Take it and run! For the rest of you, sorry I even brought it up...

-HC

An intelligent and even-handed write-up. I like your writing style. Although it's been discussed before, I just want to thank you for being refreshing and original with a familiar topic.

#19 Lillooet_Hillbilly

Lillooet_Hillbilly

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

maybe teams that beat canucks make bettmen happy? so then he lets them go to the finals???? TINFOIL PLEASE!!!

#20 Tru_Knyte

Tru_Knyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,355 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

Tired of it.

Want a ???? Cup already.
Posted Image

#21 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,373 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

Better than not making the playoffs altogether. Though of course we won't be satisfied till we finally win.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

small.png CDC Puck - New York Rangers

#22 It's Bieksa's Fault

It's Bieksa's Fault

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:14 PM

The obvious fix would be for the Canucks to get into a huge lockerroom scrap and beat themselves.

#23 GSS Corp.

GSS Corp.

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:10 AM

What a sad stats.
Posted Image

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

#24 Wonderine

Wonderine

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:37 AM

Time for a Norris trophy D man > The missing link! <_<

Too bad to only Norris winner worth have just retired. Best of Luck Nick Lidstrom may 5 go to the rafters.

NUFF SAID :canucks:

#25 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,322 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:32 AM

:bored:
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#26 Geoff Peterson

Geoff Peterson

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:12 AM

The bottom feeders are giving us a very forgettable Stanley Cup...one sided like watching paint dry.

#27 b3nnyb

b3nnyb

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:31 AM

All I can say you have to go threw us. haha.

This final has been boring. Been better games against 2 trap teams. Zzzzzzz

#28 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,173 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

Good stuff, well written. I have always said this, and thus my nickname...but i digress. The franchise has been a winner in my mind since 2001. Most years since then we have made the playoffs, and with only 8 of 15 doing so, that is pretty cool. Now, the counter argument:
If we lose in the 3rd round, then obviously the team that beats us has 100% chance to be in the cup finals and 50% chance to win cup
If we lose in the 2nd round, the team that beats us has a 50% chance to be in the cup finals and a 25% shot at the cup
If we lose in the 1st round, the team that beats us has a 25% chance to be in the cup finals.

So while it is good to know we get beat by the cup winners most years, recently as a great example, the grain of salt is that once a team makes even the third round, they have a one in four shot at the cup, so its not out of the ordinary for most 'winning teams' to be beaten by the eventual cup winners...3/7ths of the teams in a conference are beaten by the cup winners every year.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#29 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,825 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

There are many ways to analyze these things.

For my money, the best indicator is that (IMHO) the only playoff loss to a clearly inferior team was the one against Minny. One could argue that LA is inferior as well, but I believe they were always a very good team. They just underachieved most of the season.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#30 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

We are the Buffalo Bills of the 90's.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.