The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] The road to Stanley goes through Vancouver

bure's triple deke

Good stuff, well written. I have always said this, and thus my nickname...but i digress. The franchise has been a winner in my mind since 2001. Most years since then we have made the playoffs, and with only 8 of 15 doing so, that is pretty cool. Now, the counter argument:

If we lose in the 3rd round, then obviously the team that beats us has 100% chance to be in the cup finals and 50% chance to win cup

If we lose in the 2nd round, the team that beats us has a 50% chance to be in the cup finals and a 25% shot at the cup

If we lose in the 1st round, the team that beats us has a 25% chance to be in the cup finals.

So while it is good to know we get beat by the cup winners most years, recently as a great example, the grain of salt is that once a team makes even the third round, they have a one in four shot at the cup, so its not out of the ordinary for most 'winning teams' to be beaten by the eventual cup winners...3/7ths of the teams in a conference are beaten by the cup winners every year.

There are many ways to analyze these things.

For my money, the best indicator is that (IMHO) the only playoff loss to a clearly inferior team was the one against Minny. One could argue that LA is inferior as well, but I believe they were always a very good team. They just underachieved most of the season.

Good stuff, well written. I have always said this, and thus my nickname...but i digress. The franchise has been a winner in my mind since 2001. Most years since then we have made the playoffs, and with only 8 of 15 doing so, that is pretty cool. Now, the counter argument:

If we lose in the 3rd round, then obviously the team that beats us has 100% chance to be in the cup finals and 50% chance to win cup

If we lose in the 2nd round, the team that beats us has a 50% chance to be in the cup finals and a 25% shot at the cup

If we lose in the 1st round, the team that beats us has a 25% chance to be in the cup finals.

So while it is good to know we get beat by the cup winners most years, recently as a great example, the grain of salt is that once a team makes even the third round, they have a one in four shot at the cup, so its not out of the ordinary for most 'winning teams' to be beaten by the eventual cup winners...3/7ths of the teams in a conference are beaten by the cup winners every year.

Archived