Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Article] The road to Stanley goes through Vancouver

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#31 bure's triple deke

bure's triple deke

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

Good stuff, well written. I have always said this, and thus my nickname...but i digress. The franchise has been a winner in my mind since 2001. Most years since then we have made the playoffs, and with only 8 of 15 doing so, that is pretty cool. Now, the counter argument:
If we lose in the 3rd round, then obviously the team that beats us has 100% chance to be in the cup finals and 50% chance to win cup
If we lose in the 2nd round, the team that beats us has a 50% chance to be in the cup finals and a 25% shot at the cup
If we lose in the 1st round, the team that beats us has a 25% chance to be in the cup finals.

So while it is good to know we get beat by the cup winners most years, recently as a great example, the grain of salt is that once a team makes even the third round, they have a one in four shot at the cup, so its not out of the ordinary for most 'winning teams' to be beaten by the eventual cup winners...3/7ths of the teams in a conference are beaten by the cup winners every year.

Hmm.. Interesting point. But I would argue that those odds actually support the statistical significance of the current "run". With the exception of 94 and 2011, in which the team that beat us had a 100% chance of winning the Cup, all of the Canucks' losses in the past 18 years have been in the first two rounds. That's either a 12.5% or 25% chance each year for the team Vancouver lost to. But the actual success rate is nowhere near that. With the 100% chance from those two years, you'd expect the actual rate to be a little inflated, but not as high at 73%.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.