The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congrats to the LA Kings And Their Fans From Canuck Fans

1. They struggled all season long and BARELY scrapped their way to the 8th seed.

2. They faced the #1, #2, and #3 seeded teams in the West and yet only lost twice.

There is more to adversity than playing in a game 7 or trailing in a series.

I understand what you mean from a hockey fan's perspective, but it's ridiculous how little respect the Kings get just because they haven't played in a few game 7's. The Kings dominate their opponents (mentally, physically, and on the scoreboard) and it's not really their fault that none of these teams have retaliated by winning. I don't think anyone would be complaining about "playoff adversity" if a team like the Canucks/Pens literally swept their way to the SCF and swept away the cup. In fact, everyone would be jizzing their pants over how dominant and deadly they are.I love the Canucks as much as any other person on this forum does but it's time to stop being so butthurt about the past and show a little respect for a team that has come so far this season to win the Lord Stanley.

This is coming from a hockey fan's point of view who is a fan of neither teams. It's just more engaging and fun to watch both teams go at it, and keep you on your toes. It's kinda sad when the result is always the same, because it is boring. The style played by both teams is pretty boring and isn't engaging many hockey fans to watch (the drop-off from 8 million views from the Canucks/Bruins final to 800k for Devils/Kings final).

I think it's more rewarding at the end of it, to win in spite of all that adversity faced. It just makes it that much more worth it. Either way, the Stanley Cup is the Stanley Cup and the team who wins it certainly deserves it. The Kings have been completely solid, but coming from an entertaining point of view it hasn't grasped the attention of many.

Congrats to the LA Kings on winning their first Stanley Cup and to their fans who have waited a long time for this. Enjoy!

Sincerely, Canuck Fan

*and if you dont think they are gonna win it then you probably still believe in the tooth fairy and Santa. :frantic:

It's great to see how hockey has progressed in California over the last few decades. i'm always surprised to see how many "gretzky generation" californians there are on NCAA rosters these days. hopefully this further sparks the interest in hockey in Cal.

either way, what an impressive run this team has had. on paper, the road certainly looked hellish but they played hard and battled every game.

Brown is also one ugly s.o.b. And this is something that never really concerns me, especially as a guy, but damn he is just an eye sore. Combine that with the diving and a very mediocre personality and you have a delicious manure coktail. He just isn't likable at all.

Guest BuckFoston

See, that bit right there is the problem with the Canucks and a contingent of the fan base. Too much concern about being "likable". Personally, I'm none too interested in having a team full of guys you want to bring home to meet mom & dad.ESPECIALLY come playoff time. But, that's what the Canucks have and is what "a certain segment" of the faithful seem to want.

Say what you will about the Bruins, but, at least no one can question their heart and you never have to wonder if the players on that team "want it". Can the same be said of Vancouver? Or, are they too busy waiting for the referees to help them out? This turn-the-other-cheek policy is an absolute killer. Why would a team that has serious championship aspirations be dumb enough to willingly leave their fate in the hands of the officials on a nightly basis?

Instead of wanting to presnt a team full of "likable" guys, I'd love to see the roster tweaked by adding guys who just care about winning and don't give much of a you-know-what how it gets done, so long as it just gets done. More sandpaper and grit from guys who play every shift as if it were their last is what's needed here.

You know, guys like Dustin Brown.

I don't hate the Kings and they do still have the advantage in the series, but I find this thread hilarious. OP posts a premature thread congratulating the Kings on winning the Cup. 5 days later, no Cup yet, and suddenly the Devils have an actual shot at winning. I don't know if it was a jinx attempt or not, either way it's pretty funny.

Reminds me of a thread made by someone with a very similar name to yours, something to do with whether we want Burrows or something of that nature. Of course, we all know what happened to that thread when Burrows showed his offensive prowess :P

I said nothing about him having to be likable on the ice, but if you are one of those fans who always watches the post game stuff and the guy is on tv always acting like an a-hole that's not going to make you cheer for anybody. Why do you think people dislike Crosby? For the most part it's because of those same interviews where he whines and says how he won't play in the sandbox with the rest of the kids because his feelings are hurt. The legitimate fans of hockey take nothing away from his talent and skill, that can't be argued with - but we are still human and enjoy good sportsmanship OFF the ice even if all bets are off ON the ice.

You Bring up the Bruins, let me remind you that this is their first Cup in how many years? I will bring up Detroit, a team with multiple wins and one that has spoiled their fans with always making the playoffs no matter how far they go. Lidstrom is one of the classiest players who ever played the game and their whole organization is built on that approach. This is just to say to you that goonery is not a requirement to win the Cup.

It's also not a problem for "Canucks" fans. I am a hockey fan first and foremost, then a canuck fan. I have no objection to adding grit or playing more physical - that wasn't my complain with Brown. I do think, however, how you conduct yourself off the ice is important, how you present yourself in interviews, how you handle questions. Listening to Marchand and Lucic is painful, Patrick Kane is getting wasted every night, Quick "doesn't care" about a Vezina or a Conn Smyth because to him "they mean nothing," Crosby is whining about how he "doesn't like anyone." Yeah, sorry.... I am not going to cheer for guys like that. Similar thing with actors, you may make some great movies, but if I find out you are an a-hole to fans, are a druggie, or beat women - you will no longer be getting my money at the cinema.

LOL OP (if such superstitions actually existed and worked) well played :P

so many possible legendary moments for the Kings were all thwarted (16-2 record to win, perfect playoff road record, maybe first team to get reverse sw3pt?)

Boy, I still remember that other pro sports team with the Red, white and black jerseys who pulled of such a feat... 04 ALCS anyone?

Guest BuckFoston

You ask why do people hate Crosby? I don't, but, I'd like to think it's because he's one of the best on the planet at what he does. Just as I couldn't stand Michael Jordan for that exact same reason. I'd feel different if he played for MY favourite team, though. What do I care what he says in post-game interviews or how he conducts himself while he says it?

Canuck fans are too personality-focused and seem to prefer the type of hockey player who is "good in the community" (a direct CDC quote from last season, although in regards to whom, I can't remember) rather than the type who will "do whatever it takes" (define that as you wish) to win. I DO NOT care if the latter is not someone who YOU can or can not cheer for. I really don't. In fact, you can have the former and bring them ALL home to meet your mum & dad, since that's apparently what you look for in an NHL-er. But, the latter is exactly the type of guy --- warts and all --- who I will pull for so long as he's wearing the Orca. Guys who you don't have to question whether or not they "want it" or don't find yourself asking "where's the killer instinct?" How many times have Canuck fans --- if they're honest with themselves --- asked that question of certain high-profile players over the last year?

THIS is what I had in mind when I made reference to Boston, not the thuggery that you brought up. I give them all the credit in the world for being smart enough to realise that if the refs generally weren't going to penalise them for the after-the-whistle rough stuff against the Canucks in the SCF, then that was reason enough to stay the course and not change a thing. I would've done the same, too, if I felt I could get away with it and especially if I knew I was inside my opponent's head because of it. Doesn't take a genius to sort that one out. You brought up Detroit and Lidstrom. I'll counter with his former teammate Darren McCarty. Not exactly the "nice guy" that you seem to prefer, but, he served a purpose on those championship teams. Ask Claude Lemieux about that.

You keep going on and on about "good sportsmanship", both on and off the ice, but, I think that "certain Canuck fans", and perhaps even some in major decision-making capacities within the organisation (MG), are for whatever reason afraid to get dirty or employ players that tend to excel at that type of play. I'm not endorsing the return of the NHL goon, but, a team full of "nice guys" is of absolutely no interest to me whatsoever. If a guy has a bit of an edge to his game? So what. Why de-fang him If he performs and makes a contribution to the team goal, which I assume is still to win a Stanley Cup? What do I care if he's a neanderthal who doesn't have a kind word for his fellow humanoid? But, does he finish his checks and have his teammate's back at all times? It's all I care about, sorry. Not the off-ice stuff, so long as they aren't out there breaking the law or demonstrating behaviour patterns that suggest there might be some sort of substance abuse problem.

Archived