The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who was the Best Captain in Canucks History?

232 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Really? Linden 109, Smyl 8? What a joke.

Part of this is age (many are too young to even know much about Steamer) but, also, Trevor was very "accessible" and people got to know him off the ice as well as on. He became one of our own - like family. He was always interacting in public and made himself available for appearances.

Personally, I took my young son to a card signing where there were so many in line that an announcement was made for everyone to keep their "visit" to 10-30 seconds - a quick autograph/picture, then move on. My son could barely see over the table and I was videotaping the event. Trev pushed back in his chair, came around from behind the table, plunked my son on his knee and chatted for a minute or so with him (without being asked to). Had a HUGE impact on my son.

So he really reached the public in that way. Steamer was incredible in his own right, but Trevor will always be "it" for me. There are other examples of him going above/beyond with my family as well, so I just appreciate how he represented the team away from the rink.

I also will always refer to the picture of Kirk & Trev post game in remembering how Trevor left it all on the ice. That picture speaks a thousand words.

I can only speak regarding the captains from the early 90s and onwards. I'd give it to Naslund. He brought this organization out of the doldrums, was an amazing player, was a great person off the ice and in the community, but perhaps most importantly I think had a really positive impact on the younger players who drive the Canucks today. Linden would be a close second.

Smyl had a great work ethic. He hit hard every shift.Linden ,although abit more gentlemanly a player also had that workmanlike career.I voted for Smyl because while both found the scoresheet,Stan really took it to the other team.Barking,scrums,scraps,#%^ disturbing,borderline hits.I think he even fought Semenko one night.Just a pit bull.

Linden is the best captain this organization has ever had. That said it is rediculous that Sedin and Naslund have more votes that Smyl. You would never see Smyl get dummied the way Henrik did last year against Boston or to say his team "choked" Naslund to the entire fan base. Scoring ability does not equate leadership.

Archived