The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who was the Best Captain in Canucks History?

232 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's tough Linden was a great player and captain of a young exciting Canucks team, but Stan the man Smyl just seemed to be the kinda tough guy leader of hockey old and the kind of hockey player that played for the team not the name on the back

I'd say the results in the polls is a sign of age of a lot of people on CDC...Stan only has 9 votes, Messier has more ironic votes then Smyl has actual votes

For me, it was very close between Smyl and Linden, though I chose Linden. Both took us to the Stanley Cup final, and both played their very best hockey when it counted most. They both lead in every way a leader should be expected to lead. Henrik will never be a physical leader, but he could still lead us to the Holy Grail of hockey - if he does, I'll have to reasses my choice.

I think it has to be Linden. He played with so much heart and soul. He put everything on the line that 94 cup run.

This quote tells it all :

Cliff Ronning on Trevor Linden's 1994 Stanley cup playoff run.

"You don't know this, but Trevor Linden had cracked ribs and torn rib cartilage for the last four games of the 1994 Stanley Cup Final. You can't imagine what it's like to hear your captain, in a room down the hall, screaming at the top of his lungs as they injected the needle into his rib cage. Knowing him, he probably thought we couldn't hear. He would then walk into our dressing room like nothing had happened. That was inspirational."

Greatest Canuck of all time.

Not that there's any way to determine who's "the best" of them all ("the best" at what, exactly?), but, #16 played the game exactly the way I want to see the captain of my favourite team play. THAT'S a guy players will want to rally behind, especially come playoff time. Exactly what's missing from the current model Canucks.

I was tossed between three. Linden Smyl and Naslund. In the end my vote goes to Linden. He lives and breathes Canucks. He is to this day a fan and still contributes to charities that the Canucks support. He was a huge part of Canuck Place ( the most worth while cause in all of hockey ) and still devotes a lot of time to it. He lives in Vancouver and brings a lot of class to the community. He is truly a man that all young hockey players should look up to.

Toss up between Smyl and Linden. IMO I have to say SMYL. Stan had less talented team to play with during his career . He was only 5'8 and hit everything ,fought when he had too ,and gave everything he had on and off the ice. Was Captain for most of his 13 years as a Canuck. He was the original heart and soul of this franchise.

Not that there's any way to determine who's "the best" of them all ("the best" at what, exactly?), but, #16 played the game exactly the way I want to see the captain of my favourite team play. THAT'S a guy players will want to rally behind, especially come playoff time. Exactly what's missing from the current model Canucks.

Archived