The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TSN-Insider Trading] Luongo Update

I hope you're joking... 2 HIGHLY proven veterans for someone whose never played an NHL game... Yeah, his jr. Numbers are great but everyone knows that doesn't mean anything till he shows up in the big league...

This trade makes Florida Virtually a cup contender, and leaves us with someone who could potentially help us in a couple of years, and for the time being, a hole at second line center...

As I said in the other thread:

To Fla

Luongo

To Van

Howden

23rd overall 2012

Upshall

A deal like this would balance out the Ballard trade a bit (for optics in getting Howden back) and provides the Canucks with a top 9 forward that hits, who could possibly play all over the line-up, which we will need to start the season.

Florida gets their starting goalie to give Markstrom another year in the AHL and cuts the contract of Upshall who they had just signed to a sizable deal.

This is the type of deal we can look for, not for a top 4 d-man. That will need to come from somewhere else but first we need to get the three assets that we can use going forward.

I think Edler is better individually than any of those guys... That top 4 is not really what I'd consider an offensive threat... Edler just had a 50 point season! He's one of the top offensive dmen in the league... And to top it all off, he's what 26???

Sorry, but unless someone like Weber is coming over here, my opinion will always be to keep Edler.

I think the value of Edler needs to translate into a top 6 winger.

If Garrison does come here we can't afford Edler at all, and I agree it is a risk to give Ballard n Garrison Edler and Salo's job, but we've hit a cross roads where we're trading players and when Shultz, Gardiner, and Garrison can all come to your team and 2 of the 3 have the potential to be top 2 D men, you trade your precious Edler.

It just makes sense value wise, if Garrison was a top 6 winger and not a D then yea I wouldn't trade Edler. But he's a vetran puck moving D from New West who just had 16 goals on Florida. It is worth the risk to trade Edler for Perry AND Shutlz. Since both Gardiner and Garrison are coming in.

It's debatable, I don't think there's an aregument though. After Ballard's performance this playoffs, and Edlers I say take a risk.

You guys are being dicks to samjam. He clearly has a source on some level. He released details of the booth trade significantly earlier than anyone else on the Internet. I'm not a huge fan of every thread he makes, but he does a lot of Internet research and reports any pertainant rumors or news immediately, which is a main reason I come to CDC every day. There is nothing in this tread that disproves his rumor and Burke is the type of guy to not want to announce a trade til after the scf out of principle.

You guys are being dicks to samjam. He clearly has a source on some level. He released details of the booth trade significantly earlier than anyone else on the Internet. I'm not a huge fan of every thread he makes, but he does a lot of Internet research and reports any pertainant rumors or news immediately, which is a main reason I come to CDC every day. There is nothing in this tread that disproves his rumor and Burke is the type of guy to not want to announce a trade til after the scf out of principle.

I hope you're joking... 2 HIGHLY proven veterans for someone whose never played an NHL game... Yeah, his jr. Numbers are great but everyone knows that doesn't mean anything till he shows up in the big league...

This trade makes Florida Virtually a cup contender, and leaves us with someone who could potentially help us in a couple of years, and for the time being, a hole at second line center...

In my world I see it going down like this:

Luongo + 2nd + Raymond(RFA)

for

L.Schenn + N.Kulemin(RFA) + T.Bozak

Followed up by:

Ballard

to

either NYI or MIN for a 2nd round pick(both teams in need of a Dmen)

Followed by MGGM buying out Maholtra (833,000 x 2years)

Finally MG signs Garrison and the roster would look something like this:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

Nikolai Kulemin ($2.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / David Booth ($4.250m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Tyler Bozak ($1.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Tough Fourth Line Player ($1.250m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Dale Weise ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)

Jason Garrison ($4.000m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Sami Salo ($1.750m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.900m)

BUYOUTS

Manny Malhotra ($0.833m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,128,333; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,171,667

Archived