The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Replacing Ryan Kesler

The Magician

You are one ignorant donkey and so are the donkeys that agree with you. Here are the FACTS: Bieksa was 13th in scoring amongst defencemen with hardly ANY first unit PP time. SECOND in even strength points - ahead of such luminaries as Chara, Weber, Keith, Seabrooke, Yandle and so on. The team asked him to change his role last year with the loss of Ehrhoff, and tht led him to take more chances than he normally would - the previous year, when asked to take on a more defensive role - he was tied for second in +/- - that does not happen by accident. Last year he was still +13 (29th among Ds), even though he had been asked to take on more of an offensive role.

You don't blame a player for what he is ASKED to do.

Jordan Schroeder will probably be given a chance to be a top six forward, but at the same time there's no guarantee that the season will start on time considering the CBA running out and Bettman's track record that might mean Kesler could be healthy by the start of a shortened season

Depth at center is probably the 2nd most important thing behind goaltending if we want to win a Cup. Letting Hodgson go for a winger was a big mistake, so either Schroeder or Jensen step up and have an Adam Henrique-like season or we need to go find a scoring centerman who will fill Kesler's role, but stay in the lineup when he returns.

A rental player like what BMO did for Chicago would be perfect.

Depth at center is probably the 2nd most important thing behind goaltending if we want to win a Cup. Letting Hodgson go for a winger was a big mistake, so either Schroeder or Jensen step up and have an Adam Henrique-like season or we need to go find a scoring centerman who will fill Kesler's role, but stay in the lineup when he returns.

How is Luongo a gem? WE DO NOT NEED HIM ANYMORE!!!!! If you had even a peanut for a brain you would realize that we need playoff secondary scoring!!!! Stephen Weiss brings that for us! And at a cap hit of 3.1 mil, how can you say no to that? But to be honest with you I don't even think FLA picks up the phone if we were to offer Luongo straight up for Weiss.

I dont see Kesler's replacement be a big caliber player as eventually he will come back and will fall back into his second line centre position...

There is no way he fall into the third line center for 5mil lolz, would be nice but it will never happen.

I also think CoHo would have fit this role giving Kesler enough time to have his surgery and rest back up to 100%, but we know where that ended up... I just hope Kassian will pan out because lately I've been pretty disappointed with our trades.... for some reason it seems like were just looking for more replacements each year to fit in certain roles and the cup keeps gaining distance from us... I really want to be wrong here, but that's how it feels.

the only way a jordan staal trade would work is if he goes to 2nd line centre with Kes moving to wing

not so sure Kes would thrive as a winger after playing well as a center for a while now

edit: I do remember him playing well on Sundin's wing... hmmm

Getting Jordan Staal is another matter (though I'm a huge fan of his play and would give up a lot to get him)

you're right a goalie with over 300 wins 60 SO and a .919 career sv pct. is worthless we should just put him on waivers. just because we have another great goalie doesnt dimminish Lu's value to another team. get your head out of your a$$

Kesler's career has been ruined by injuries, and he's one of the most overrated players in the nhl. I think he can be a good 35 point shutdown 3rd line center from now on, he is overpaid and needs to be traded. We need to find a permanent replacement for him. Trade Schneider + Kesler for maybe Johansen or someone else.

Archived