The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Replacing Ryan Kesler

The Magician

If there is a short lock-out, replace Kesler with nobody. I think this is what MG and many other GMs will be waiting on before making a deal.

Say the Canucks traded for Zajac (or anyone else, you pick), who will be in the last year of his contract. If there is a short lock-out, Kesler would be back in time for the start of the season anyhow, so now you have given up valuable parts/prospects/picks for Zajac when he now doesn't fit as the second line centre and you only get 50-60 games out of him in a shortened season.

What this years playoffs have suggested is that teams can overcome a rough first half of the season.

With that in mind, I think you have to give Schroeder the opportunity, at least in the preseason. If he completely tanks, promote Lapierre.

Worst case scenario is you let Schroeder start at second line centre and he struggles. If this happens, at least Schroeder knows he was given a chance, and will recognize what he needs to improve on to make an impact the next time he is called up.

The Canucks will be playing in a yet-again weak division, where early season struggles still mean they have a great shot at winning the division.

Don't give up any assets just yet. Promote from within. At least this gives the Canucks a shot at understanding what they've got with Schroeder.

Guest Dasein

Yup, if it is a short season because of the strike, then no need to replace Kesler with anyone.

This would suck for Schroeder, but he needs to work hard to make this team regardless of Kesler anyway.

Wait, he didn't like having a young 21 year old potential 2nd line center who had about 30 points, as many as our hero Kesler at the time?

Get real buddy, we all miss Hodgson like never before, and Kassian doing squat all in the post season didn't make it much easier on us.

If Kassian isn't great in two seasons, GTFO MG.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike Gillis said during his meeting with season ticket holder than he expects Jordan Schroeder to challenge for the 2nd line center spot.

I didn't think the Canucks had him in mind for that spot because, as far as I've heard, he's been an underachiever in the AHL. But if the Canucks feel he's ready, that would be a great step for him to take.

Mike Gillis said during his meeting with season ticket holder than he expects Jordan Schroeder to challenge for the 2nd line center spot.

I didn't think the Canucks had him in mind for that spot because, as far as I've heard, he's been an underachiever in the AHL. But if the Canucks feel he's ready, that would be a great step for him to take.

Firstly the above poster's report on Schroeder in Chicago is exaggerated to say the least. I watched nearly all of the Wolves games and Schroeder, Haydar and Mancari (latterly Reinprecht too) were probably the top 3 forwards. Schroeder had developed a good understanding with Sweatt and sure he had off days, who doesn't but he always showed desire and he's a determined little bugger.

I agree he needs to get 7-10 lbs bigger to be really effective in the NHL and I doubt he will get any taller but you never know. So in summing up I feel if teamed with a speedy winger like Raymond and either Higgins or Booth (a passing Booth....please) he might do ok as a stand in till Kes gets fit.

Archived