Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Replacing Ryan Kesler

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
138 replies to this topic

#121 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

If there is a short lock-out, replace Kesler with nobody. I think this is what MG and many other GMs will be waiting on before making a deal.

Say the Canucks traded for Zajac (or anyone else, you pick), who will be in the last year of his contract. If there is a short lock-out, Kesler would be back in time for the start of the season anyhow, so now you have given up valuable parts/prospects/picks for Zajac when he now doesn't fit as the second line centre and you only get 50-60 games out of him in a shortened season.

What this years playoffs have suggested is that teams can overcome a rough first half of the season.

With that in mind, I think you have to give Schroeder the opportunity, at least in the preseason. If he completely tanks, promote Lapierre.

Worst case scenario is you let Schroeder start at second line centre and he struggles. If this happens, at least Schroeder knows he was given a chance, and will recognize what he needs to improve on to make an impact the next time he is called up.

The Canucks will be playing in a yet-again weak division, where early season struggles still mean they have a great shot at winning the division.

Don't give up any assets just yet. Promote from within. At least this gives the Canucks a shot at understanding what they've got with Schroeder.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#122 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

i guess he didnt like having a 12 year old girl on his team

Wait, he didn't like having a young 21 year old potential 2nd line center who had about 30 points, as many as our hero Kesler at the time?

Get real buddy, we all miss Hodgson like never before, and Kassian doing squat all in the post season didn't make it much easier on us.

If Kassian isn't great in two seasons, GTFO MG.
Posted Image

#123 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

Yup, if it is a short season because of the strike, then no need to replace Kesler with anyone.

This would suck for Schroeder, but he needs to work hard to make this team regardless of Kesler anyway.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#124 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

Ott then put him on the third after.

#125 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

Wait, he didn't like having a young 21 year old potential 2nd line center who had about 30 points, as many as our hero Kesler at the time?

Get real buddy, we all miss Hodgson like never before, and Kassian doing squat all in the post season didn't make it much easier on us.

If Kassian isn't great in two seasons, GTFO MG.

We all? there is a lot of fans who never liked Hodgson as a draft pick to begin with.

#126 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

Mason Raymond - he is useless along the wall but he looked good the couple of times we tried him at centre - has the skill sets to be an accomplished centre ..why not try him?

Because centers need to be strong for:

Face offs
Winning corner battles at both ends to get the puck to wingers or Dmen

Him being useless on the walls prohibits him from ever being a legit center.

He's weak on his skates and plays the perimeter. The experiment is over. Unless hes 20 lbs heavier in muscle and has been power skating since game five I don't want to see him in a nucks jersey next year.

Even at that I'd rather just get a proven top six winger.

Edited by riffraff, 08 June 2012 - 07:11 PM.

Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#127 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:50 PM

We all? there is a lot of fans who never liked Hodgson as a draft pick to begin with.

Okay, most of us on CDC miss Hodgson. And did you see how many threads there were about Hodgson when we first drafted him? The whole board was filled with everything Hodgson.
Posted Image

#128 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,092 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

Mike Gillis said during his meeting with season ticket holder than he expects Jordan Schroeder to challenge for the 2nd line center spot.

I didn't think the Canucks had him in mind for that spot because, as far as I've heard, he's been an underachiever in the AHL. But if the Canucks feel he's ready, that would be a great step for him to take.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#129 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

Mike Gillis said during his meeting with season ticket holder than he expects Jordan Schroeder to challenge for the 2nd line center spot.

I didn't think the Canucks had him in mind for that spot because, as far as I've heard, he's been an underachiever in the AHL. But if the Canucks feel he's ready, that would be a great step for him to take.

Hope he does well. A line of Booth-Schroeder-Doan would be great. Hopefully we can get Doan.
Posted Image

#130 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,758 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

Schroeders ready for this, he deserves 10+ games to show what he's got.

#131 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

Doesn't matter, Raymonds gonna kick a$$ no matter who his centre is this year, BELIEVE DAT!

#132 Niklas Jensen

Niklas Jensen

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:54 PM

Flip him and a prospect for Getzlaf
Our D's must make opponent fowards going to the net PAY THE PRICE

#133 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,119 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

Trade Schroeder and Ballard to Columbus for Ryan Johansen.

Howsen might be just stupid enough for that. ;)
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#134 HockeyHobo73

HockeyHobo73

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

Bo Jackson... That guy can do everything... Cause Bo Knows Hockey...

#135 Quaz

Quaz

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:44 PM

Doesn't matter, Raymonds gonna fall on his a$$ no matter who his centre is this year, BELIEVE DAT!

fixed

#136 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,119 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

Bo Jackson... That guy can do everything... Cause Bo Knows Hockey...

Uhh...No... LOL

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#137 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:31 PM

Doubt the Hawks would ever trade him, and I would probably throw up if I ever saw him in a Canucks uniform, but Dave Bolland would be the perfect person for the Canucks needs.

#138 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:57 PM

Jonathan Huberdeau
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#139 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:34 AM

Firstly the above poster's report on Schroeder in Chicago is exaggerated to say the least. I watched nearly all of the Wolves games and Schroeder, Haydar and Mancari (latterly Reinprecht too) were probably the top 3 forwards. Schroeder had developed a good understanding with Sweatt and sure he had off days, who doesn't but he always showed desire and he's a determined little bugger.

I agree he needs to get 7-10 lbs bigger to be really effective in the NHL and I doubt he will get any taller but you never know. So in summing up I feel if teamed with a speedy winger like Raymond and either Higgins or Booth (a passing Booth....please) he might do ok as a stand in till Kes gets fit.
Kevin.jpg

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.