The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Abortion/Pro-Life Thread (Arguments only - no personal attacks!)

I understand this topic is extremely controversial, yet I'm willing to give it a chance for a discussion on it.

Although I do have predefined opinions on the matter, I am willing to listen and explore any arguments and I want others to contribute too. I don't have a professional opinion on the matter. I will NOT be using any personal attacks or making any snide remarks and I strongly discourage that behaviour for all others. All comments should be DIRECTLY related to the debate regarding abortion and the pro-life stance.

It is my opinion that I share with some people that women should have the right to make their own decisions without fear of outside pressure.

I believe they are the initial primary caregivers for the baby and most women (even those who commit to abortion eventually) will identify the fetus as their own. This would lead to women being extraordinarily careful about what happens to their fetus. Of course there will be exceptions, much like how some mothers abuse (in any sort of way) their real baby/children. It is an assumption but a fairly careful one. I've rarely heard (though again, this is an unprofessional opinion) women being 'happy' about aborting their own baby. It is a process that leads to physical and mental grieving.

Outlawing abortion would only lead to women finding (illegal) ways to harm the fetus, which could also harm themselves too. It does not mean all abortion permanently stops. It is better to legalize and CONTROL abortion rather than the other way around.

Fetuses do not necessarily end up being babies. Many end up as a miscarriage. More statistics are needed to find out the success/failure rates of fetuses, in order to come up with a more informed decision.

I think later-stage fetuses are a high chance at succeeding and I can compromise on the idea of disallowing the abortion for these kinds of fetuses, but of course, this does not stop women from artificially stopping it.

As a side comment and I don't mean to include this in my argument, I personally know/knew of a woman who lived far away from me who had a 'boyfriend' who disallowed her rightful personal freedoms as well as forcing her to get pregnant, disallowing her from aborting it. Her relationship with him was based on threat/coercion/blackmail. I know that for a fact. The guy is a known gangster. It is an extreme example but she is the inspiration for why I am taking a stance on this particular issue. I am not including this context as part of my argument, only a very personal explanation as to why.

Guest BuckFoston

I always thought a woman had the right to chose in the case of rape. However, if you are old enough to work and support a child, I'm a little more reserved. If all of a sudden my partner got pregnant even though we weren't planning, abortion would not be an option at our age. We are in our late 20ies, both working, both capable of supporting a child (and even if we weren't, we would take measures to make sure we were) so there really is no excuse for us not to keep the baby. So I guess I'm pro-responsibility.

I understand that sometimes mistakes happen no matter how cautious you think you are, but then you turn on the tv and see that 16 and pregnant trash and you start to wonder if its a loss either way. If they go through with the pregnancy, they turn into awful mothers because let's face it, kids cannot parent kids. If they were all choosing abortions instead, I'd still be furious because they aren't held to any responsibility whatsoever. I used to know this girl in college that took Plan B as her main form of birth control and still managed to have 3 abortions in a couple of years. And all because she "didn't like the feel" of condoms and didn't want to be bothered with female birth control. Makes my stomach churn just thinking about it.

My problem with the whole damm subject is:

If she gets pregnant and wants to keep the baby I and I don't. I pay

IF she doesn't want the baby and I do she can abort and I've got no say.

Were is the eqaulity.

Somewhat snide comment to all the pro lifers-------how many kids have you adopted?

I don't know that I could personally choose to abort a fetus but am willing to let others decide for theselves.

I'm probably too much of a coward and don't want to invite any negativity into this subject, so I never argue or state my preference when it comes up in conversation. Not a good stance to take, as nothing in the history of mankind gets sorted out if people don't present their opinions and argue said opinions.

That being said, I'm pro life. I feel as though that if you are old enough to make the decision to have sex, then you are making a choice to deal with the benefits and consequences of those actions.

I know some people will say, "Well, 15 year olds shouldn't be raising kids." Well, you are absolutely correct, they shouldn't. But children have to learn that in every decision you make in life, you have to be prepared to deal with the aftermath. If you want to steal money from your parents so you can buy something, good for you. But be prepared to deal with the chance that your parents might find out that you stole from them.

I made a huge mistake in university, one that almost got me kicked out. It was the bonehead move, one that I thought wasn't a big deal. If it wasn't for my track record in school, they probably wouldn't have been so lenient. However, when I was going into my hearing, I told them that there was no excuse for my actions. I apologized, but left it with, "I respect all of you and should you decide that the best course of action is to suspend my education, I understand. My actions are my own and I have to live with the consequences."

I live that in every aspect of my life, and the same goes with unplanned or unwanted pregnancy.

For the most nowadays you can chalk up abortion to either being forced upon a person by a spouse, parent or someone significant in their life, or their idiotic teens. My cousin works in an abortion clinic and for the most part she says it's teenagers who just want a problem to go away.

That being said, there are always foster homes and adoption agencies if someone doesn't have the means to take care of a kid nowadays,

My wife(Gf at time) had an abortion. We just weren't ready to raise a child at that time. I was between jobs at the time, so I had no idea what my future was going to be like and we were living in her parents basement.

If I had known what our future would be like, I would have suggested keeping the baby. We have a 2 year old now, own our own home and both have good paying jobs. Just at the time we didn't want to raise a baby in an uncertain environment.

Funfacts about the abortion day

-it was my wifes birthday

-I went across the street during the abortion to an electronics store to watch Canada lose to Russia in the QF of the 2006 Olympics

-we both ran into Markus Naslund walking down the street

-both our parents still don't know(at least I think they don't)

My wife(Gf at time) had an abortion. We just weren't ready to raise a child at that time. I was between jobs at the time, so I had no idea what my future was going to be like and we were living in her parents basement.

If I had known what our future would be like, I would have suggested keeping the baby. We have a 2 year old now, own our own home and both have good paying jobs. Just at the time we didn't want to raise a baby in an uncertain environment.

Funfacts about the abortion day

-it was my wifes birthday

-I went across the street during the abortion to an electronics store to watch Canada lose to Russia in the QF of the 2006 Olympics

-we both ran into Markus Naslund walking down the street

-both our parents still don't know(at least I think they don't)

For the most nowadays you can chalk up abortion to either being forced upon a person by a spouse, parent or someone significant in their life, or their idiotic teens. My cousin works in an abortion clinic and for the most part she says it's teenagers who just want a problem to go away.

That being said, there are always foster homes and adoption agencies if someone doesn't have the means to take care of a kid nowadays,

I've seen a few of our children moving in ultrasounds well before they were technically viable (let's say 12-19 weeks), they looked human enough to care. Hard to personally be okay with knowing people are wilfully ending the lives of another human, even if women should have the right to decide what goes and stays in their own body. I'm pro-choice but not without some serious criticism of the average abortion-engaging female who aborts a fetus to avoid some aspect of responsibility. I have no respect for them and they should socially be treated as the trash they are -- while allowing abortion, of course.

Archived