The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stanley Cup final ratings a disaster!

With the emergence of "dead puck" hockey returning, it seems the clutching and grabbing has caught up to the NHL. Canucks/Bruins series set a 8 year high in ratings peaking at 8.5 million viewers, game 3 of the 2012 SCFs hit a record low with 800k watching. Re-runs of Pawn Stars and Family Guy out drew the game. 3.3 million people swathed Mexico v. Brazil in the US on ESPN2 (which is available in less homes than NBC Sports Network).

These record low ratings come on the heels of 4 major Canadian newspapers all running a front page(in the sports section) criticizing how the NHL has allowed clutching and grabbing since around Feb. This has nothing to do with the markets involved. Highest rated cup final in last 15 years was NJ/Anaheim in 2003.

Source: http://www.sbnation....-2-hits-another

The Canucks/Bruins series (and all post lock out series prior) were all open ice games, with each team averaging around or close to 30 shots a game. Twice in this series a team has had less than 10 shots after 2 periods. The refs last year let a lot of BS go, but all obstruction was a penalty.

frack clutch and grab. frack manipulating the entire game by switching what constitutes a penalty halfway through the season. frack these pos refs that consistently ignore obvious penalties whenever the hell they feel like it. I just want some consistency! Call the penalties all of the time so that players aren't confused on what they will be called on! League is a joke.

Embarrassing ratings. Boring hockey. Most exciting series to me was the first few games of pens/flyers and that was only because the goalies were a complete gongshow.

Good. I'm not watching for the first time in along time either; 0 interest in the series. This is exactly the message we need to be sending to the NHL higher-ups; hit them in the bank accounts!

Archived