The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stanley Cup final ratings a disaster!

LOL. Can't believe re-runs of a show about a pawn store and an incredibly overrated animated series beat it out. What a joke the NHL has turned into. And only a year removed from an incredibly entertaining final.

That said, I haven't watched one clip of the finals so far.

Maybe nobody's watching because they know what's going to happen. These playoffs have stunk of being rigged throughout.

But I guess this is proof positive that the LA market is virtually impossible to gain majority interest in. Any sport. It's just too diverse.

I wanted LA to win this one though just so that's out of the way. Perhaps the Canucks will be allowed to win sooner. (Probably after TO though.) Cheers.

TOML

In a way, this is good news for the Canucks.

The NHL is a business and we're all well aware of the league's desire for a lucrative American TV deal. The fact that one of the biggest markets has made the final, yet holds almost zero interest to sports fans in Los Angeles, speaks volumes, especially when one considers the fact that both the Lakers and Clippers are out of the NBA playoffs.

The league simply must look at these numbers and realize that boring, defensive minded hockey, where the forwards and defensemen make as many saves as the goaltenders will not draw new fans to the game. They need to get back to the standard of officiating that was set after the lockout and stick with it this time.

Such a move would certainly benefit teams like the Canucks. (Hopefully, the change will be made before Gillis makes roster adjustments based on how the game is currently being played)

The NHL is a business and we're all well aware of the league's desire for a lucrative American TV deal. The fact that one of the biggest markets has made the final, yet holds almost zero interest to sports fans in Los Angeles, speaks volumes, especially when one considers the fact that both the Lakers and Clippers are out of the NBA playoffs.

The league simply must look at these numbers and realize that boring, defensive minded hockey, where the forwards and defensemen make as many saves as the goaltenders will not draw new fans to the game. They need to get back to the standard of officiating that was set after the lockout and stick with it this time.

Such a move would certainly benefit teams like the Canucks. (Hopefully, the change will be made before Gillis makes roster adjustments based on how the game is currently being played)

That's another Bettman speak. True, revenues are up, however, the NJD's are not, or will not, ever become a profittable franchise, in his NHL. They might come close to breaking even this season, even after this long run into the playoffs. There's a big difference.

I too am hopeful that MG stays the course, sooner or later these suits will address issues on how the game should be played, but I won't hold my breath either.

This forum never seems to stop whining, it's priceless.

If the ratings were high, people would be complaining that the league is rigged in order to get more money.

As long as the Canucks aren't in it, you guys will never be satisfied. What a bitter fan base.

Keep telling this to the millions of die-hard fans who have walked away from the game this spring..

In a couple of years it will be just you and Bettman sitting alone in an arena watching your beloved "Red-rover on ice"

The NHL "on-ice" product is currently unwatchable.

You like watching trash defense and goaltending? You like watching teams that can't play a well structured game win the cup?

Those teams don't deserve to win the cup. Teams who are the best overall deserve the cup and right now that's the LA Kings.

Come back when you understand the game a bit more.

Back to the topic at hand, feeding the troll won't help anyways. Feel sorry for him. He is the one who has such an unimportant life, that he has to troll another teams forum, and an objective topic.

This is the first time ever that no top 10 team in goals for have made the final 4. Yet all the final 4 were in the top 10 in goals against. Clearly the NHL,and Shanny decided to go with a slower game, and this is what we got.

I fail to see how people's concern for the state of the game tanlates to a lack of understanding of it.

For the record, I have been playing, coaching, refereeing and watching for over 45 years. I feel I can say without fear of being gainsaid, that I understand the game just fine.

I personally have no problem with the Kings' win. They have played extremely well and deserve tobe where they are.

However, this doesn't change my opinion that the game itself has it's problems. These problems are reflected in the ratings quoted by the OP. Those are straight, factual numbers; no opinion or interpretation required.

I don't have the stats in front of me, but I'd be willing to bet the farm that at some point this past season, there was a drop off in the amount of obstruction-type penalties called (ie: Hooking, holding, interference, etc.)

It makes it extremely difficult to build your team when you don't know what sort of lineup is best able to succeed with the level of enforcement of the rules. This year, it favored teams like LA, New York and St. Louis. Next year, it could be back to being more of a fit with teams like Vancouver, Philly and Pittsburgh.

FTR: I was okay with the way things were handled last season, the suspension to Rome and the non-call on Marchand for the repeated punches to Daniel notwithstanding. The fact is, the canucks had plenty of PP opportunities, but failed to capitalize.

This year is another story. I'm fine with "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but unfortunately, from what I can see, it is broke.

I'm guessing that is your main point. Come post season, the rules have always changed and that has been an ongoing debate for many people. They let things slide more in the playoffs.

Their reasoning is because they don't want to change the outcome of the game by giving out too many power-plays but the argument can also be said that they're changing the outcome of the game by not making these calls.

The only problem I have with it is that the intensity of the game may decrease with everything being called in the playoffs where players play their hearts out.

Archived