The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stanley Cup final ratings a disaster!

Heck, just recently the NBA draft lottery was rigged. NBA-owned New Orleans, who may or may not be in the process of selling that team, had a 13% chance or winning the draft lottery, but they just 'happened' to win it. You think that team is easier to sell when they have the next LeBron locked up?

I'm guessing that is your main point. Come post season, the rules have always changed and that has been an ongoing debate for many people. They let things slide more in the playoffs.

Their reasoning is because they don't want to change the outcome of the game by giving out too many power-plays but the argument can also be said that they're changing the outcome of the game by not making these calls.

The only problem I have with it is that the intensity of the game may decrease with everything being called in the playoffs where players play their hearts out.

The fact that Briere and Giroux are still tied for the lead in goals is what does it for me. The offense in the final two rounds has disappeared and it is just not as entertaining to watch. Normally I don't mind watching low scoring games, but that is as long as there is still scoring chances being had.

Also they seemed to have changed what constitutes a penalty halfway through the year, which is ridiculous. I have played hockey and watched it since I was little, and I have no idea why some penalties are called, and some aren't. When even hard-core fans are having troubles knowing what a penalty is, then we have a problem.

Blatant speculation? Closer to an indictment, actually. Only a matter of time before it (PEDs in the NHL) becomes an official problem, imo. It can't be buried forever.

As for the reffing issue, jeez, all you have to do is watch with your eyes. It's the easiest way to rig games in any pro sport. It's also the hardest to prove, which of course discredits most arguments put towards it. That doesn't mean it's not there, however. In fact, because it's so easy to dismiss as 'conspiracy talk nonsense', that means it's more likely there than not. Countinuing along this discussion will only lead to a argumentative paradox, so that will be tiring.

I'll just close by saying the playoffs have been rigged for a long time and the battle among teams to win cups isn't fought on the ice, but in boardrooms. Cheers.

TOML

The fact that Briere and Giroux are still tied for the lead in goals is what does it for me. The offense in the final two rounds has disappeared and it is just not as entertaining to watch. Normally I don't mind watching low scoring games, but that is as long as there is still scoring chances being had.

Also they seemed to have changed what constitutes a penalty halfway through the year, which is ridiculous. I have played hockey and watched it since I was little, and I have no idea why some penalties are called, and some aren't. When even hard-core fans are having troubles knowing what a penalty is, then we have a problem.

Also. LA this year has 49 goals in 17 games which is 2.88

Last year Canucks had 58 goals in 25 games which is 2.32

LA , which most of us here consider a boring team is better offensively than canucks were last year.

If the playoffs were rigged this year, then they would have made sure that the Rangers would have made it to the finals, as the ratings declined a great deal in the third round.

The playoffs weren't rigged last year either. Yes, penalties were called less in the finals, which has been the case for years. Not saying it's right or wrong, just that "it is what it is." Conspirators will suggest that, "Well, the Canucks were built last year to make teams pay when they were on the powerplay, so the Bruins winning was destined." Look, the Canucks were the highest scoring team last year and gave up the least amount of goals. They were built to score goals and to not be scored against, which is why they have the Sedin's and Luongo. Neither of those panned out. No conspiracy, they just didn't have anything left to give in the final.

The Kings are the far superior team this year. Any diehard fan of hockey said at the beginning of the season that the Kings were a team to watch out for. They stumbled out of the gate and stumbled into the playoffs. However, the team we see on the ice is not the team that was playing in the regular season. That's not conspiracy, that's a team catching fire at the right time.

Should the game be called similarly through the season and post-season? Absolutely, and this needs to be changed. No rule changes to make the ice bigger, the nets bigger, etc, etc. Just call the game the way you told teams at the beginning of the year that it would be called.

That said, the Kings deserve to win this year, despite the style of play we are seeing. It's up to the NHL to fix this.

Also. LA this year has 49 goals in 17 games which is 2.88

Last year Canucks had 58 goals in 25 games which is 2.32

LA , which most of us here consider a boring team is better offensively than canucks were last year.

I think most everyone on this board would want the same from the start to the finish. If a penalty is a penalty, call it. When I see 4 officials miss 6 skaters on the ice time and time again, a player struck by his own teammates stick, an official 70 feet away from the play make a call, when one is standing right beside the players, I say changes or reviews need to be made. Is the game too fast, the ice surface too small?

no, people don't want to see things called. During the first round of the 'Nucks/Kings series, a poster didn't even wait a full game before screaming that the refs shouldn't call various penalties. I kept "bumping" it till the 'Nucks were bounced just to prove how some 'Nuck fans (not all... not most... just some fans) will never be happy either way.

Just like in football, if you wanted "everything" called... you could call a penalty almost every play (or in hockey you could say almost every minute has some kind of "infraction" if you look hard enough.)

That said, I do think a few things need to be changed... as stated a few times, raise the top of the net 6 inches. Also, the quick "block" a defenceman is allowed to do when a player dumps the puck in and goes around him (vast majority of the time, you see the D-man actually reach out to impede the forward and not try to play the puck... which would be interference.) Those two small changes would really help the game out in two ways;

1) all goalies block the bottom of the net, but by raising it 6" you give the shooter more room to put it over the goalie after they have dropped.

2) faster (and more skilled) forwards would be able to "beat" the defenceman to the puck more often and create more scoring chances.

Good, it's boring hockey. Went to visit family in California, they don't watch any hockey.

It's either Lakers or enjoy the sunshine. Can't blame them, while I was there hockey was an after thought, too much stuff to do.

If a penalty is a penalty in October, the same thing should be called in the last game of the season or the second round of the playoffs. Pissing around with the nets, for a traditionalist like me is wrong. The Internation ice surface is the only change to the game that I would approve whole-heartedly. When you hear commentators saying stuff like how much more did he have to do to draw a whistle? I think things are really being missed, and not just the obvious ones. Off-sides, how many have been missed, and didn't more than one goal result of an offside in this playoff season, so far?

Saw a game in Linkoping Sweden last fall, the game had everything and more that the NHL has, other than overall talent. Which I would say was highend AHL. The trap would be at the very least, not so obvious.

But I guess if an NHL coach wants to win and stay employed, he does the best he can, with what he has to work with.

no, people don't want to see things called. During the first round of the 'Nucks/Kings series, a poster didn't even wait a full game before screaming that the refs shouldn't call various penalties. I kept "bumping" it till the 'Nucks were bounced just to prove how some 'Nuck fans (not all... not most... just some fans) will never be happy either way.

Just like in football, if you wanted "everything" called... you could call a penalty almost every play (or in hockey you could say almost every minute has some kind of "infraction" if you look hard enough.)

That said, I do think a few things need to be changed... as stated a few times, raise the top of the net 6 inches. Also, the quick "block" a defenceman is allowed to do when a player dumps the puck in and goes around him (vast majority of the time, you see the D-man actually reach out to impede the forward and not try to play the puck... which would be interference.) Those two small changes would really help the game out in two ways;

1) all goalies block the bottom of the net, but by raising it 6" you give the shooter more room to put it over the goalie after they have dropped.

2) faster (and more skilled) forwards would be able to "beat" the defenceman to the puck more often and create more scoring chances.

Floating blue line, illegal defense rule like NBA, 3pts for a 4 goal regulation win and increase net size by 6" wide and high.

23 shot games with 6 scoring chances are sucking the life out of what could be the fastest most exciting sport in the world.

The NHL needs to get serious about it's product. Goalies have become too dominant IMO with lightweight oversized equipment. The balance needs to be swayed and the nets need to become bigger or the pads need to become smaller plain and simple. 95% save percentages are just plain rediculous.

Floating blue line like ball hockey would make PP's deadly , increase possession and increase scoring chances as well as provide more room for players without increased ice surfaces (which would be my preference)

Illegal Defense calls needs to be implemented. Forwards sucking back to the hash marks is not only taking away grade A chances while defending but reducing the chances of break aways and rushes from a teams own zone.

I only say 3 pts for a 4 goal win because it encourages entertainment value during the regular season. Coaches with defensive game plans would be more likely to miss playoffs thus raising the odds of getting fired. Could make for some real barn burners at the end of season as teams try to make the playoffs. Not like the current system is anything special. Play for a tie THEN play 4 on 4 with in a lot of cases almost as many chances as the 1st 60 min. Then get as much value ( 1 pt ) in a shoot out as 65 minutes of actual hockey.......Dumb!

Or we can do NOTHING but ask the refs to make more subjectional calls and the analysts can talk about how they "missed that one" but "called that one". We can continue the art of plugging up neutral zones. Put all 5 in the house defending blocking shots. Continue dumping in dumping out waiting for that elusive BOUNCE or mistake they need. We can continue Coaching our development leagues the same as we no these methods will produce better RESULTS not better talent.

Kudos to the Kings and whoever is winning currently , but the hockey I have witnessed this season needs some radical change.

Archived