The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if Luongo goes to Toronto...

cmpunk

I like a lot of the younger players which the Panthers have, but when-ever I consider a Canucks deal with them I keep getting stalled at Markstrom. I'm not sure just how close he is to being NHL ready. If he is a year or three away, then having him play behind Luongo could be just the thing to groom him for full time status as the Florida starter.

Should Luongo go to Florida, it looks like it would become a deal of future players for the Canucks rather than guys who will have an immediate impact. Of the assests there which I would like Gillis to acquire, they are all still young and developing, even Gudbranson. This would require that Gillis pick up some very good UFA's in order to fill the team's needs for the upcoming season, which might result in some over-payment contracts.

regards,

G.

I like a lot of the younger players which the Panthers have, but when-ever I consider a Canucks deal with them I keep getting stalled at Markstrom. I'm not sure just how close he is to being NHL ready. If he is a year or three away, then having him play behind Luongo could be just the thing to groom him for full time status as the Florida starter.

Should Luongo go to Florida, it looks like it would become a deal of future players for the Canucks rather than guys who will have an immediate impact. Of the assests there which I would like Gillis to acquire, they are all still young and developing, even Gudbranson. This would require that Gillis pick up some very good UFA's in order to fill the team's needs for the upcoming season, which might result in some over-payment contracts.

regards,

G.

Huberdeau is probably off limits, but what about Bjugstad? 6'5" 2-way center, with great hands.

Upshall has a NTC, but if they insist on sending salary back, what about Bergenheim? He didn't have a great year, but he's shown the ability to raise his game and put the puck in the net when it matters most (12 goals in 23 playoff games).

Luongo for Bjugstad, Bergenheim, and rights to Garrison? Is that a fair deal? Perhaps some conditional stuff if the Nucks can't sign Bjugstad and/or Garrison?

Luongo is a playoff goalie. How could you possibly say he's not a Playoff Goalie?

Oh yeah, I guess you completely forgot him getting 2 Shutouts in the SCF, single-handedly shutting out the Hawks in Game 7, Out playing Pekka Rinne.

Yeah, he sucks.

Just for some fun and something I was seriously thinking about. With rumors of Luongo going to Toronto being strong, if he ends up there he will no doubt put the Leafs into the playoffs. They almost made the playoffs last year but their goaltending just wasn't good enough. Luongo would put them in the playoffs next year if he is there.

But now what I really want to hear from people. What if Luongo goes to the Leafs and takes them to the playoffs, and a long run and they win the cup.

What would the reaction of the Vancouver fans be, and mostly the organization?? It would really be something interesting to see, and funny. It would be one of the biggest embarassments of the entire organizational history, city and fans.

I know everyone here hates the Leafs, I really don't care about them, but from a hockey stand point, apart from goaltending and some of their defense, they could really be a much better team with one addition of a goaltender like Luongo. I think the Leafs just seem like a team that just needs to get in the playoffs and can do some damage by playing a simple, defensive, and hard working style in the playoffs and that is really how you need to play in the playoffs and adding Luongo would make their team a whole lot better and be good at playing this style and they got some good young talent.

If Lu goes there, I personally would not be surprised if they do some damage in the playoffs.

None of those secondary assets are enough - Luongo would instantly become the most important, primary player Toronto has had in some time - secondary throw ins are not enough. - as secondary pieces maybe - Colborne ok, Kulemin (uh, what happened to Kulemin?), Ashton undecided, Kadri meh, no thanks, but the Leafs would still need to add a primary and a third piece.

You should look a little closer at Florida if you don't see much there.

In addition to Huberdeau, they have Bjugstad and Howden (another pair of first round picks) and Matthias as prospect centers alone - in addition to Gudbranson and Kulikov, they have another 1st round pick in Ellerby - and a handful of promising 2nd round picks in their system- Petrovic, Robak, Bengstson on the blueline alone - as far as taking a roster player/contract in return, I'd probably rather take a risk on Upshall than anyone in particular that have been thrown in as spare parts off the Leafs roster - alot of expiring contracts and general no thank yous.

Luongo will give them a good goaltender, but that is far from the only reason why the leafs are as bad as they are.

Look at their captain, Dion Phanuef is hardly what you would call a motivating person to play with.

Look at their star forward Phil Kessel, the guy can score some nice goals, but has about as much grit as a wet carrot and gets intimidated far to easily.

And lets just look at their Defense as a whole, they have a lot of potential talent, the only problem is that that potential talent seems to be lacking serious motivation.

Adding Luongo would be a good move in the right direction for the leafs, but its far from a final solution to their playoff problems.

I don't hold as much hatred towards the Leafs as I used to. Mainly because it's just too easy kicking a dead horse. At this point, it would be a welcomed addition to see them in the playoffs.

A few months ago, all I thought they needed was a #1 'tender and a #1 center to put them over the hump. Upon further review, I don't necessarily believe this is enough. Sure, had the Leafs had Luongo last season, then they make it to the playoffs. However, that was with career season for both Phil Kessel and Joffrey Lupul. I'm not necessarily sure that Kessel can replicate what he did last season without a true #1 center again. Not only that, I really don't think the Leafs can expect a similar season from Lupul. Obviously for their sake, I hope they can. I just don't see it in the cards for them.

With Luongo, unless Lupul and Kessel produce like they did last season, I don't see them making it in again.

I think the Luongo on the Leafs and Carlyle as their coach, they are in the playoffs. Just look at the Coyotes and who they got, and people would forget that they just went to the Conference finals. Toronto at least has a few better and younger players than the Coyotes.

I'll be jumping up and down, shoving it down all the Luongo haters throats here. Luongo is one of my all time favorite athletes, so where he succeeds it doesn't matter, and plus I don't even hate the Leafs. I haven't hated them since 1999-2004.

The Leafs would need more than Roberto to be really succesful. Lu probably would get them in the playoffs, but to go all the way they at least need 2 top six F's and a good defenceman.

If they succeed i would be supporting Lu!

I'll be jumping up and down, shoving it down all the Luongo haters throats here. Luongo is one of my all time favorite athletes, so where he succeeds it doesn't matter, and plus I don't even hate the Leafs. I haven't hated them since 1999-2004.

Luongo was a great playoff goalie in his first season here. There is no denying that.

However, that was 5 years ago. Since then he has not been consistently great, and the numbers back that up.

2009 Playoffs - .914 save percentage (9th)

2010 Playoffs - .895 save percentage (14th)

2011 Playoffs - .914 save percentage (10th)

2012 Playoffs (only 2 games) - .891 save percentage (15th)

[Reference point: Ilya Bryzgalov was 17th with a .887]

So in each of the last four seasons, Luongo has been below average in his save percentage. Is it the team in front of him? How can they go from one of the stingiest in the regular season to suddenly below-average defensively? And this year, Cory Schneider's .960 in his three games was the highest save percentage in the league. So I don't think it's the team...

Sorry, but statistically speaking, Luongo has not been a great playoff goalie. At least, not in his last 4 attempts.

Archived